A Fleurie for a Hot Day

Its been hot out here, although nice and dry, and perfect for chilled Beaujolais by the pool so I opened a 2014 Domaine de Roche Guillon [Fleurie] over the weekend. This is their base bottling although I’d never heard of it prior to the garagiste offer. It’s light bodied, balanced, and not showing any tannin. It manages the tension between zippy and flabby well, staying right in the middle, so you can drink it without food. It’s a gulpable, berried/candied kind of wine. I enjoyed it greatly and drank the bottle over a couple of afternoons; I wish I had gotten more. They make a single vineyard wine too, but this is the base blend, and its great value at $14. I got some bubblegum type notes on the nose too. People give a lot of grief to Rimmerman over all the mystery bottles and whatever other shady deals come over the transom, but in general I’ve been happy for 16 years just by sticking to what I think are their sweet spots. IMO, that’s mostly smaller production, lesser known Old World estates that wouldn’t get distributed stateside. I’d give this an A-

If 2014 is supposed to be a cooler, crisper vintage this example didn’t come across like that to me.

PXL_20211016_230354441.jpg
I had the 2018 Dom. de Roche Guillon ‘La Tonne’ [Fleurie] over a couple of days this weekend while puttering around. I quite enjoyed it and will be buying more of their wines, as email offers come in. I like Rimmerman’s sensibility in the AOC, since most of my cellar is bigger, weightier varietals. Lighter, crisper wines balance out the consumption needs when a daytime drinker is called for. 13.5% abv. Red lollypop notes on the bouquet, then pomegranate pernils on the palate. I like the red fruit zip here, and don’t find any drying tannin for my palate. No sediment. This bottling is a special lieu dit, but not having it side by side with the base bottling, I’m not sure how different/better it might be. Still I like this young ruby colored wine, and would give it an A-, but note that I don’t have exacting standards for Bojo, maybe only consuming 6-8 btls a year, during the hot dry summers we have. The label says its from a south east facing on granitic soils, and can age, although I don’t try that with gamay.
PXL_20211015_013713743.jpg

Thanks, Arv. Still completely unfamiliar with the producer. In re-reading your note about from a couple of years ago, I’m thinking it’s a shame that you didn’t have another 2014 to open now. I’ve had a couple of 2014 Fleurie in the past year that showed quite well.
Regards,
Peter