UPS Really Sucks and should never be used to ship wine!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Albert R

Re: UPS Really Sucks and should never be used to ship wine!

#101 Post by Albert R » November 26th, 2018, 5:11 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 1:16 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
July 7th, 2018, 11:45 am
I will pay extra for FedEx over UPS every day. The fact that I can have it redirected to walgreens or a fedex store is $$$$$. I have heard too many stories of UPS just not caring and the "nothing we can do" is just too familiar.
This. I have FedEx deliver to the Walgreens less than a mile from my house. For UPS, I've got to have it delivered to their warehouse which is at least 20 minutes away. Moreover, last time I tried to request a change in the delivery day, UPS wanted to charge me. Just terrible customer service.

+1000000000000!!!!!
Cheers,

@. Re-go

jordan whitehead

#102 Post by jordan whitehead » November 28th, 2018, 11:16 am

had to pick up a package yesterday at will call at the depot. Asked them to take a package I also needed to drop off. They said no. Told me to take it to a different depot. Told them this is one of the many reasons why Fedex is better as they would've just taken the package.
www.annaswish.org

BenW

#103 Post by BenW » November 30th, 2018, 5:39 am

Much prefer UPS to FedEx... I've been waiting on some William & Mary Cab that was (according to the text from FedEx) on the truck for delivery Wednesday... and then again Thursday.... and now today. No missed deliveries. No reason for why it would sit on a truck for three days. I even received a separate wine delivery from FedEx on Wednesday! (Our nanny signed for it so I didn't get a chance to ask about the other one)
I'm not too concerned for the wine in this weather but still ridiculous.
B.Williams

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » November 30th, 2018, 5:57 am

BenW wrote:
November 30th, 2018, 5:39 am
Much prefer UPS to FedEx... I've been waiting on some William & Mary Cab that was (according to the text from FedEx) on the truck for delivery Wednesday... and then again Thursday.... and now today. No missed deliveries. No reason for why it would sit on a truck for three days. I even received a separate wine delivery from FedEx on Wednesday! (Our nanny signed for it so I didn't get a chance to ask about the other one)
I had this happen earlier this month. After the second day it got pushed, I called in the complaint since the delivery required signature and I had made arrangements to be home both days (Thu/Fri). They added it to their Saturday delivery route.

They didn’t offer any legit explanation, but I think since we are at the end of Fedex delivery route, the driver couldn’t complete our delivery before cutoff time so they pushed it to the next day.

Barry P

#105 Post by Barry P » November 30th, 2018, 8:13 am

Jay,

You lost me on "It's hot outside."

UPS sucks, most of us know it, and accordingly wouldn't even take a chance with UPS when it is warm. Now you know it, too. But not much to be done about it. Brown is brown and if you use them, make sure the leaves are brown too.

As for the other service options, FedEx is best year round, but only if using the Express services (overnight, 2 day air, Express Saver--3 day air). FedEx Ground is like an entirely different company and way worse than UPS. So if you cheap out with FedEx, good luck, also.
--B@rry Per$hkØw

Al Osterheld

#106 Post by Al Osterheld » November 30th, 2018, 8:28 am

Yes, there are different FedEx services, with FedEx Express being the original FedEx. The others (FedEx Ground is the main one), with separate warehouses and drivers, were formed from delivery services FedEx purchased (eg, RPS). When I purchase from retailers on the East Coast or Chicago, I generally upgrade to the higher cost service if they use FedEx.

-Al

BenW

#107 Post by BenW » December 1st, 2018, 4:35 pm

BenW wrote:
Still not delivered. I saw the truck in neighborhood so I’m beginning to think something else is happening. Anyone know the best process for getting an answer: call? Email? Web form?
B.Williams

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 1st, 2018, 4:56 pm

BenW wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:35 pm
BenW wrote:
Still not delivered. I saw the truck in neighborhood so I’m beginning to think something else is happening. Anyone know the best process for getting an answer: call? Email? Web form?
Call and file a claim. How many bottles? Does the Nanny adore Cabs the way my niece adores Littorai?

BenW

#109 Post by BenW » December 1st, 2018, 6:19 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
December 1st, 2018, 4:56 pm
Call and file a claim. How many bottles? Does the Nanny adore Cabs the way my niece adores Littorai?
Ha, she’s more of a beer drinker. It’s just a three pack which makes me think it might have fallen off a truck in the vicinity of someone who could read the 21+ sticker on the side and guess what was inside.
B.Williams

BenW

#110 Post by BenW » January 11th, 2019, 9:51 am

So I filed a claim with FedEx and they've finally resolved it by agreeing to do... nothing.

Apparently Rivers-Marie don't have an official packaging agreement to ship wines with FedEx (despite the fact that clearly ship a lot of packages all labeled as wine). This was explained to me as being a protection against inferior packaging that readily breaks/overheats etc. and that without a packaging agreement in place FedEx doesn't want to be on the hook for damaged merchandise and offers no insurance.

That makes complete sense except for one thing... my package wasn't "damaged", it was lost/stolen while in FedEx's possession!

Will Segui at William & Mary has already made me whole so this is really just about the principle of the matter but how can they get away with this? Is this a risk that many wineries run, not having their packages insured at all, or just an anomaly?
B.Williams

Rob Lynch

#111 Post by Rob Lynch » January 11th, 2019, 10:00 am

If you've been made whole, then it sounds like Rivers-Marie has elected to self insure. They've taken care of the loss without you having to go through much of a formal claims process. Probably a lot simpler for all involved than if you had insurance via FedEx. Might be cheaper this way, too.

Return to “Wine Talk”