TN: 2015 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert

• 2015 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (7/1/2018)
    Decanted 8hrs. I spent a good 3 hrs with this bottle and I can say without reservation that if served blind, I could peg this as a Rhone 50% of the time… I’ll be here all week! try the veal! and don’t forget to tip your bartender. Ok, back to the wine, yes its ripe, but it’s a 2015 and though the sample size is pretty small, this in no way shape form stood out from its peers in the $50 and under from this vintage. Very forward on the nose, leans new world yes, first impact on the palate is pretty fruity for sure. But once you get past this point (which was very enjoyable) there was an overall buoyancy quality that was very appealing in how created a freshness – very easy to drink. True, it doesn’t have any olive or other roasted qualities, but it does have a very subtle mineral component that seemed to expand with each glass. Lots to enjoy today, better days tomorrow, very happy to have a couple more to see where this goes. a recent thread had the comment 'designed for ‘Monktown palates’ - I simply don’t see that or I guess I’ll start carrying my MP membership card. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

FYI, Tom Hill started a thread in March on this wine. He and I both found it a bit big/New Worldy for our tastes, but that’s a matter of preferences. Not sure if our palates are different or it’s settled down.

1 Like

I appreciate the notes on this wine, it will give me something to read while I wait for my 3L to enter the drinking window. :astonished:

It’s a birth year wine for my daughter. :slight_smile:

I shoulda loaded up on this.

Hi John, Indeed I was familiar with Tom’s note hence a little tongue and cheek on the Monkton comment. How much air did you give your bottle? While I didn’t taste it right away as I took off on a day hike, I feel very confident aerating the hell out of it was a wise move.

I’m sure that’s true. But don’t tell Stan Stevenson.

I had some other things coming from a place that had the Thalabert for just under 30 bucks in the same time frame as the thread that John mentions, and decided to give it a try anyway. Unfocused with little discernible northern Rhone character to me, I remember going through cases of the '90 and had really hoped to reminisce with this on the black-fruited depths of deliciousness of that wine. But it was a waste of time.

1 Like

I get all of the comments above about this wine coming on a bit strong, but my sense is it will mellow into something nicer over the next 5-10 years.

• 2015 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (3/8/2019)
    First of 9 bottles purchased. Decanted - as soon as I popped the cork, the bouquet shot out of the bottle. Spice and flowers on the nose. In the mouth, fruit comes on strong, and then subsides into a shyer mid palate. Good finish, with just a touch of tartness. I tasted more red fruit than blue. Wine is young - my sense is this will age well over a 15 year curve and get better with time. 92 points with possibly a few more points of future upside. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Had this a couple months back and though I’d quibble with dale’s original note - I definitely got olives - yeah I’d probably would hesitate to call this blind this as northern Rhône. That said, it’s very good and if I had it in my barrel cellar, I might say it’s like very good warm year Crozes or St Joseph. So who knows, but we drank it, enjoyed it and if you have some in the cellar I bet it will be delicious for years to come.

Thanks for checking in on this and irrespective of how this would be pegged in the great equalizer of blind tasting, I think we can all agree as Vincent said that this should shine for many years

Had this at a recent N Rhone tasting. This wine stood out from the others as not characteristic of N Rhone and had a very funky taste.
The Equis St Joseph and Crozes Hermitage came out on top and also were at the lowest prices points.

While not having had this particular wine I think it is safe to say it will take A LOT of time for many 2015s to fit any kind of classic ideal of a traditional NRS. A quick comparison of a good producer’s 2014 and 2015 side by side is quite telling when the difference in ABV can be 1,5-2 percentage points.

This seems to be heavily discounted though-out the known universe. My local has it for 37 bucks

Anyone had it lately?

$29 from Garagiste. Fantastic deal.

2/12/23:
Purple-ish color. Nose has lots of olive tapenade, savory meat and pepper, and just a little cherry. Palate is initially very fruity but mid to finish has lots of earthy and savory notes. Slightly tart red fruits, blueberries, leather, thyme, and nice acidity and lots of minerality.
Long and nice finish, albeit not the most complex one. Excellent wine!