Lamarche La Grande Rue

• 2013 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Decent focus and intensity on the palate with a prominent tannic texture and wild stawberry notes on the finish. A fairly masculine style here! (91 pts.)

• 2012 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Sudective bouquet of ripe dark fruit. Deep concentrated palate of lovely intensity. A sappy core of fruit, refined tannins and superb balance. (93 pts.)

• 2011 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Classic, spicy nose of black fruit with decent depth and structure. Less inspiring with a slightly drying finish. (91 pts.)

• 2010 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Pure and complete, with a deep core of fruit, fine tannins, good balancing acidity and superb length. (93 pts.)

• 2009 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Opulent cherry nose. Rich, rounded, full-bodied with a trilling core of sweet fruit and spices. Very fine and long! (93 pts.)

• 2008 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Reserved elegant red-fruit aromas. Lean and elegant with fine-grained tannins and balancing acidity. (92 pts.)

• 2005 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Powerful and concentrated with hints of TCA NR (flawed)

• 2003 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Superb aromas of ripe red and black fruit. The texture is pure silk and the finish is intense savoury. A delicious wine! (94 pts.)

• 2002 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Strong notes of lovely spiced blackberry fruit. Great character with intense concentration and powerful long. (93 pts.)

• 1999 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Earthy, spicy maturity, but also lacking depth and concentration! Developed and maybe to far? (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting notes. Thanks. I’m a bit surprised you didn’t find some more outstanding, given the reputation of the wine. It’s interesting, too, to see the 2003 show so well, since there are some strange and not very likeable '03 Burgundies.

This wine comes from some of the most vaunted terroir in all of Burgundy, and never gets much respect. Is it all the style of Lamarche? Quality of the vines? Gotten better?

I know Claude Kolm thought the quality increased markedly in the 90s. I got a great deal on the '98 Vosne-Suchots and bought close to a case of it, and still have some. It was always pretty tightly wound, but when it opened up, it was lovely. From my limited experience, I think they take quite a while to come around. A '96 Vosne-Chaumes I posted on four years ago was still pretty closed (not so surprising for a '96), but that may have suffered from a poor food match (pork with tomato and fennel).

I haven’t had this as often as I’d like, but the '69 was spectacular in 1982, as was the '99 about 2010. I had a few lesser vintage in between, do not remember details. Surprised to hear that the '99 was showing age at less than 20 years. Provenance? ‘Off’ bottle? I’ve never had this wine at more than 15 years, but it always seemed to me to be at least a mid-distance runner.

Dan Kravitz

Very cool to see this. Thank you for sharing…I think tasting in Verticals really allows you to learn & understand a wine in a very different and complete way. It so interesting to see your notes on this wine over many years.

Has anyone had the 2006?

We used to always joke that this site was always picked 2-3 weeks earlier than any other site on the hillside. And I really don’t think that any ‘severe’ pruning was every done on this site until the winemaker change. But '03 was that hot summer that caught every vigneron by surprise. Hence a ripe ‘La Grand Rue’. And what was so neat about this bottling was, you could see the delicacy and unique Spice of ‘La Tache’, but also see why it’s considered one step down from ‘La Tache’.

To that point on riper vintages, 2009 is the only vintage I’ve heard great things about.

Yes, but only in about 2009 … it was very good, even outstanding, but not really stunning … (would have been fine for a Clos Vougeot).

I´ve had quite a few vintages between 1966 and 2004, but only the 2006 younger. In short: usually good to vg, rarely really exciting, some questionable (unclean, lactic … e.g. 1991).
Best vintages 1990 (still 1er cru), 1999 … also 1997 was very enjoyable, 1996 was good with potential …

I once though about it, but I would not invest to put together a vertical at todays prices …

I have had the 06 a couple of times in the last few years. For me, it was good to very good and drinking well. I found it pretty in-line with the profile of the vintage. That being said, 06’s in general have been drinking well for my palate.

Yes, a controversial wine but on the amend?
I only have 3 bottles (2 2003 and 1 2008) as I was told the 2003 was exceptional. It seems to be the case (to a certain extend) and I suppose one may still wait a bit longer.
Anyway, I can’t afford the neighbours (nor recent vintages…) and always regret my father in law as he was Aubert de Villaine bank manager in Moulins … so may have got me access to DRC if he was still with us…

Always been controversial. The wines for years tasted over cropped. The new style is an improvement, but I know a lot of people who are still very critical of it (they also use the oaky word too). I get it, but I have had my fair share of great wines (the 2001 is damn good), but also very less than stellar (95 and 96).

The wine is stellar.

I think that is the route of a lot of the complaints about the quality of the wine, they don’t taste anything like DRC. Frankly, I think they would be best to have Louis Michel Liger Belair making the wines. The terroirs they draw from seem to need his deft hand; up to and including La Grande Rue.

I have no experience with older vintages from this producer, but the '14’s and '15’s have gotten great press, and the '15 Echezeaux and Malconsorts tasted recently were fantastic.

FYI, here are Claude Kolm’s very positive notes on the '13s, '14s and '15s:

2013: The Fine Wine Review: Domaine Emmanuel ROUGET -- 2013s from Cask

2014: http://thefinewinereview.blogspot.com/p/domaine-francois-lamarche-2014s-tasted.html

2015: http://thefinewinereview.blogspot.com/p/harvesting-began-on-10-september-and.html

In my experience, the improvements here happened around the 2001 vintage. I think the wines are now very good, but have never quite found the magic others have.

I bought Croix Rameau 2012 and 2015…hoping for R St Vivant like… will see in 15 years

This wine got expensive in a hurry. Too bad it doesn’t sound like it got better at that same rate.

Yes, no doubt the wines will get much better … and the price will explode … xxxx.00