Recommendations Similar to PGC Berserker’s Cuvée

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
NicholasP

#1 Post by NicholasP » June 27th, 2018, 11:22 am

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend fell in love with the ‘14 Patty Green Berserker’s Cuvée. Unfortunately, 5.5 delicious cases later, PGC has finally run out of the juice. :(

She has tried the PGC Freedom Hill Vineyard, which she liked but not nearly as much as the Berserker’s Cuvée. So now we’re on the hunt for something with a similar flavor profile (especially what my girlfriend describes as a strong grapefruit note she got from the BC). Any recommendations out there (even better if it’s around the same price point as the BC)?

Thanks!
Nick
@nicholaspopp
CT: SubRosaEtVinum

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » June 27th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Oh wow, I'm posting here to follow it as well - hopefully Jim can come on board and make recommendations, as he'd know better than most
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mark Y » June 27th, 2018, 12:46 pm

5.5 cases wow.. you can just get a couple of friends together and get Jim to make you a barrel. ;)
Y.e.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Jay $$ Winton » June 27th, 2018, 12:49 pm

That wine was a real bargain so also interested to see if anything matches at that price point.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Dave H. » June 27th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Not an expert, but wasn't there some Lia's Vineyard in the BC? You could try the Longplay estate stuff (same vineyard), which is always a fine wine at a great price, if not as great a price as the BC.
Going purely on memory and considering the price point, you might also try the 2015 Goodfellow Willamette Valley PN, which you can find online still for a bit over $20.
For a few dollars more, but still under $30, check out the Cameron Dundee Hills bottling.
Not sure any of these hit the grapefruit note, but worst case you'll have a few more bottles of delicious well-priced oregon pinot.
Hendrik

Brandon R

#6 Post by Brandon R » June 27th, 2018, 2:43 pm

You could go to Commerce Corner and see if someone is willing to sell/trade. According to CT, there are still over 1,000 bottles in CT cellars.
B. Redman

Lee Short

#7 Post by Lee Short » June 27th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Brandon R wrote:You could go to Commerce Corner and see if someone is willing to sell/trade. According to CT, there are still over 1,000 bottles in CT cellars.
Great, here come the flippers

[tease.gif]

cepotts

#8 Post by cepotts » June 27th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Try the Reserve. It’s VG for the price ($25-ish).

The 2013 was closer to BC than the ‘12 or ‘15, but it’s a solid PGC Pinot every year. I never tried the ‘14 so can't comment. ‘16 should be out soon, if not already released...
Craig Potts

NicholasP

#9 Post by NicholasP » June 28th, 2018, 7:55 am

Thanks everyone! I ordered a half case with 2 bottles each of the ‘16 Lia’s Vineyard, ‘15 Marine Sedinentary, and ‘16 Marine Sedimentary for her to try (this fall/winter when it finally cools down enough here in FL to ship that is).

Unfortunately the ‘16 Reserve is already sold out so I’ll keep an eye out for the ‘17s when they come out. I’ll also check out the Goodfellow and Cameron that Dave recommended.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming! One can never have enough Oregon Pinot (or at least I can’t). :)
@nicholaspopp

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#10 Post by Jim Anderson » June 28th, 2018, 5:44 pm

NicholasP wrote:Hi everyone,

My girlfriend fell in love with the ‘14 Patty Green Berserker’s Cuvée. Unfortunately, 5.5 delicious cases later, PGC has finally run out of the juice. :(

She has tried the PGC Freedom Hill Vineyard, which she liked but not nearly as much as the Berserker’s Cuvée. So now we’re on the hunt for something with a similar flavor profile (especially what my girlfriend describes as a strong grapefruit note she got from the BC). Any recommendations out there (even better if it’s around the same price point as the BC)?

Thanks!
Nick
Glad the 2014 Berserker Cuvee was a big hit with you and yours! That was a fun 2 vintage project that I think lots of people here enjoyed for several reasons and it certainly did not hurt the winery!

This got started when in 2014 I felt like there was a selection of barrels from the 2013 vintage that didn’t fit the SVD profile of the bottlings we were doing from those sites but were also interesting barrels that seemed to have a commonality to them that would allow them to be an individual wine existing outside of the Willamette Valley Reserve and the SVD wines. I had no plan as to what to do with that wine but assumed I would figure it out and that the wine would sell really well even if it was maybe just a 1-off. That ultimately became The Berserker Cuvee and the wine was basically repeated (although with even more elevated blocks and barrels IMO) in the 2014 vintage.

We own our Estate Vineyard, manage a vineyard in its entirety in the Dundee Hills and purchase Pinot Noir from 8 other sites. We bottle a lot of individual Pinots (in 2017 there will be 27 individual wines). The largest “category” of fruit comes from Ribbon Ridge and very near to us vineyards in the Chehalem Mountains. We bottle a wine from those vineyards called Marine Sedimentary and I think that would be the wine most similar to the fruit sourcing and nature of the Berserker Cuvee. We actually still have some of the 2015 remaining. 2014 and 2015 are, generally speaking, similar vintages although I think most winemakers in Oregon and whom post here would likely say that 2015 seems to be the livelier, brighter, more red-fruited, fresher and more energetic vintage. The Marine bottling tends toward a darker fruit profile, mineralogy and a fair amount of structure. The vintage supplies it with some fleshier texture.

I think people that liked the 14 Berserker would find the 15 Marine Sedimentary up their alley. They’re not priced similarly but perhaps, you know, if people are interested...
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Dave H. » June 29th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
I think people that liked the 14 Berserker would find the 15 Marine Sedimentary up their alley. They’re not priced similarly but perhaps, you know, if people are interested...
Thanks for all the insight here, Jim.
I can’t tell, is the suggestion here that if there is mass interest for the marine sedimentary bottle there could be yet another very very fine PG deal? :)
Hendrik

CoreyEdmonds
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by CoreyEdmonds » June 30th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I love the 2014 Berserker Cuvee and still have 24 plus bottles of it and have since been a member of the PGC Wine Club because of it. I would be interested in another special bottle for the forum.

R I C H M

#13 Post by R I C H M » July 1st, 2018, 10:05 am

Consider me interested as well Jim.

Loved both vintages of BC and am also enjoying this year’s BD wines.

Keep me in the loop!
M@nzo

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by NickRut » July 1st, 2018, 10:53 am

Also would be interested
Rutkowski

I. Howe
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by I. Howe » July 1st, 2018, 11:23 am

The BC was my first foray into Pinot. BD 2017 I took a flyer on a few producers based on recommendations from this forum. A case of 2014 BC was one of those purchases. A month or so later, as soon as I took the first sip of that wine, I knew it was special and I immediately regretted only ordering a case. I logged back onto the PG site, but by then it was all gone. I would LOVE to see another offering of BC.
Ian Howe

Robert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Robert R » July 1st, 2018, 12:49 pm

Interested too!!
Robert R@thfi3ld

R. Gleiberm@n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by R. Gleiberm@n » July 1st, 2018, 1:17 pm

In case he is keeping tabs, you can put me down for 6 cases Jim.
R odney

"You guys playin' cards?"

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by mattcitrang » July 1st, 2018, 1:33 pm

Interested also, Jim.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by dsGriswold » July 1st, 2018, 8:36 pm

We're all interested, Jim. The best publicity ever. [thankyou.gif]

BTW, since Island qualified for the World Cup, my wife looked up the origin of Berserker and said I fit the profile even though I am Finnish. [snort.gif]
DennisG

NicholasP

#20 Post by NicholasP » July 1st, 2018, 9:16 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:
Glad the 2014 Berserker Cuvee was a big hit with you and yours! That was a fun 2 vintage project that I think lots of people here enjoyed for several reasons and it certainly did not hurt the winery!

This got started when in 2014 I felt like there was a selection of barrels from the 2013 vintage that didn’t fit the SVD profile of the bottlings we were doing from those sites but were also interesting barrels that seemed to have a commonality to them that would allow them to be an individual wine existing outside of the Willamette Valley Reserve and the SVD wines. I had no plan as to what to do with that wine but assumed I would figure it out and that the wine would sell really well even if it was maybe just a 1-off. That ultimately became The Berserker Cuvee and the wine was basically repeated (although with even more elevated blocks and barrels IMO) in the 2014 vintage.

We own our Estate Vineyard, manage a vineyard in its entirety in the Dundee Hills and purchase Pinot Noir from 8 other sites. We bottle a lot of individual Pinots (in 2017 there will be 27 individual wines). The largest “category” of fruit comes from Ribbon Ridge and very near to us vineyards in the Chehalem Mountains. We bottle a wine from those vineyards called Marine Sedimentary and I think that would be the wine most similar to the fruit sourcing and nature of the Berserker Cuvee. We actually still have some of the 2015 remaining. 2014 and 2015 are, generally speaking, similar vintages although I think most winemakers in Oregon and whom post here would likely say that 2015 seems to be the livelier, brighter, more red-fruited, fresher and more energetic vintage. The Marine bottling tends toward a darker fruit profile, mineralogy and a fair amount of structure. The vintage supplies it with some fleshier texture.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Marine Sedimentary - I ordered both the ‘15 and the ‘16 for her to try. If it is similar to the BC, I can guarantee that I’d be in for a few cases on a Berserkers deal :).

That was the first wine I ordered from PGC and what led me to join the wine club as well. And I haven’t been disappointed yet! Just opened the ‘15 Durant Vineyard Bishop Block with dinner tonight in fact (delicious!).
@nicholaspopp

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Jay $$ Winton » July 2nd, 2018, 7:08 am

Interested as well!

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#22 Post by Jim Anderson » July 2nd, 2018, 9:58 am

Speaking with my bosses in regards to '15 Marine Sedimentary and doing something for people who bought the Berserker Cuvees. The wine drinks super-well and toes the line between naturally having an AFWE character to it and the lusher aspect that the 2015 brings to bear. Pretty sure Josh Reynolds had some nice things to say about it IIRC. I will report back when I get my marching orders.

R I C H M

#23 Post by R I C H M » July 2nd, 2018, 10:33 am

Splendid [dance-clap.gif]
M@nzo

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Siun o'Connell » July 2nd, 2018, 12:40 pm

Fingers crossed.

Jason Crawford

#25 Post by Jason Crawford » July 2nd, 2018, 5:44 pm

I ordered two cases of each vintage. Only have 4 bottles left of the '13. Please do another bottling!

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#26 Post by Jim Anderson » July 2nd, 2018, 6:17 pm

I am working on an email about the 15 MS. It will go out later this week.

No specific Berserker Cuvee until at least the 2018 vintage now.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mark Y » July 2nd, 2018, 8:29 pm

So 3 years from now??? Daaayam.
Y.e.

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » July 4th, 2018, 11:46 am

I love being a PG member but didn't get into them until after the Berserkers Cuvee was done. I'd be interested when available, Jim.

TKMcWilliamsII
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by TKMcWilliamsII » July 4th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Jim Anderson wrote:I am working on an email about the 15 MS. It will go out later this week.

No specific Berserker Cuvee until at least the 2018 vintage now.
This is some welcome news! We are down to a case of the 3-ish we ordered, and this is my most beloved “house” wine and cellar defender. Just the other day I brought a bottle to a friend’s and the ‘14 BC was the winner amongst a group that included the WV bottlings from White Rose, Arterberry and Beax Fréres, by a mile.

Look forward to stocking up :)
Tim

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Bill Sweeney » July 5th, 2018, 4:52 am

Count me in too.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by Jim Anderson » July 5th, 2018, 3:02 pm

If you purchased the Berserker Cuvees you will receive an email within the next 24 hours (could be as soon as this afternoon) regarding what has been discussed earlier on in this thread. If you did purchase either/both of the Berserker Cuvees and are interested in this AND do not receive an email by noon tomorrow (7/6/18) please contact me directly and we will make sure you get the information.

R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by R_Gilbane » July 5th, 2018, 3:24 pm

That’s sweet. Jim, you’re a heck of a guy. Gentleman and a scholar.
Bobby

julianseersmartin

#33 Post by julianseersmartin » July 5th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Damn, am too new a member to have bought the Berserker's Cuvee.

cepotts

#34 Post by cepotts » July 6th, 2018, 8:31 am

Anyone seen the email yet?
Craig Potts

NicholasP

#35 Post by NicholasP » July 6th, 2018, 8:44 am

cepotts wrote:Anyone seen the email yet?
Not yet, but I assume he meant noon PT so still a few hours to go. Can’t wait to see what Jim and the team came up with.
@nicholaspopp

cepotts

#36 Post by cepotts » July 6th, 2018, 8:50 am

Good point. Wasn't thinking about time zones...
Craig Potts

JulianD

#37 Post by JulianD » July 6th, 2018, 9:07 am

Havent seen an email, bought the cuvee
Davies

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#38 Post by Jim Anderson » July 6th, 2018, 9:23 am

West Coast time folks. West Coast.

NicholasP

#39 Post by NicholasP » July 6th, 2018, 9:28 am

Jim Anderson wrote:West Coast time folks. West Coast.
You’ve just got us all so excited - we’re like kids on Christmas morning. I think that makes you Santa Clause...
@nicholaspopp

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#40 Post by Jim Anderson » July 6th, 2018, 10:01 am

NicholasP wrote:
You’ve just got us all so excited - we’re like kids on Christmas morning. I think that makes you Santa Clause...
I think you’re confusing me with Tim Allen!

NicholasP

#41 Post by NicholasP » July 6th, 2018, 10:11 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
NicholasP wrote:
I think you’re confusing me with Tim Allen!
Doh! That’s what I get for replying on my phone while reviewing a contract on the laptop. I must have clauses on the brain.
@nicholaspopp

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#42 Post by Jim Anderson » July 6th, 2018, 10:42 am

Ok. The email has gone out. Offer is live on the website although easier to access directly through a link in the email. Good luck. We tested it and it worked fine. If there are issues email me directly at jim@patriciagreencellars.com

T&om c&lement
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by T&om c&lement » July 6th, 2018, 10:45 am

Thank you for the offer Jim. Order in. Just one case, didn't want to feel greedy

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Jay $$ Winton » July 6th, 2018, 10:51 am

Email received and a 6 pack ordered, also trying to share the wealth.

NicholasP

#45 Post by NicholasP » July 6th, 2018, 10:52 am

Wow - this is a great deal and thank you again Jim for putting this together and going above and beyond. Just placed my order and am very excited!
@nicholaspopp

NicholasP

#46 Post by NicholasP » July 6th, 2018, 10:54 am

T&om c&lement wrote:Thank you for the offer Jim. Order in. Just one case, didn't want to feel greedy
Admittedly, I was a bit greedier (sorry!)... Gotta keep the girlfriend happy.
@nicholaspopp

Nick T.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Nick T. » July 6th, 2018, 10:58 am

Jim- The shipping charges still show up. Should we just place the order and then wait for it to be credited back?
T=t0um@n!os

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#48 Post by Jim Anderson » July 6th, 2018, 10:59 am

Folks. If you order more than a case it will show shipping charges. We will take that out on the backend. It’s just a non-fixable glitch in our shopping cart software which is not super adept at handling situations like this. All order amounts will be processed correctly.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 6th, 2018, 10:59 am

Thanks, this is a crazy deal. When ordering be sure to change shipping to UPS ground to get free shipping, unless you’re name is Jay.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by Jim Anderson » July 6th, 2018, 11:03 am

I think the flow has sort of screwed up the cart’s ability to process things correctly. No shipping charges will be added even if the site is saying so. We manually check everything before the charge actually occurs. Sorry for the hiccup. Seems as though not everyone is experiencing that though.

Return to “Wine Talk”