Riedel Somm BDX Glasses.... thoughts? Do they have Restaurant versions?

I am thinking of getting 4 just for fun. I use Zalto mostly now.

Are they still extremely fragile?
Does anyone here like them enough to recommend?
Best place to buy?
Do they may slightly thicker “restaurant” ones and has anyone had them?

Thanks!

I have some, they’re gathering dust on my shelf bc I usually use gg or zalto.

Riedel makes an XL that looks exactly the same as the Sommelier series. They are machine blown instead of hand blown. I use them often and am not afraid to put them in the dishwasher. You can usually find them for around $25 per stem. $30 on Amazon.https://www.amazon.com/Vinum-Cabernet-Sauvignon-Wine-Glass/dp/B001PEU28U/ref=asc_df_B001PEU28U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=269052721906&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16876441914072051816&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031744&hvtargid=pla-445923635446&psc=1

IMG_1975.JPG
XL on the left Sommelier on the right

Amazon usually stocks the Vinum Bordeaux by the 8-pk. Pay for six, get two free. Works out for less than $20 a stem. I use them but they are fragile. Riedel claims they’re dishwater safe but I invariably hand wash. Couple years ago Costco sold the 8-pks for $50. I bought enough to last a while.

Too big and cumbersome. I prefer Zalto universal or Vinum for more focused nose.

I have both the hand blown and the machine made and unless you want to make the use and care of the hand blown a meditation, I’d go with the machine made. The shape is identical unlike with the Grand Cru Burgundy glass.

I have the BDX somm and the Vinum Bdx. Vastly prefer the Vinum Bdx. Zalto Bdx is also solid, and I prefer it over the Zalto uni. As someone said, you can get the Vinum Bdx XL for those days when you need to pour an entire bottle of wine into your glass all at once, high five your pals and yell “woo gurrrll” a whole lot.

I have both the Vinum and the Somms. Both are dishwasher-safe, but my ancient GE doesn’t accommodate the Sommeliers – stems too long. Have never had a problem washing the Vinums in the dishwasher.

I like the Somms for old wines when you have sufficient quantity. A 2 oz. pour doesn’t really work in a glass that size. When you do have the quantity the Somm really allows it to get aerated. I think there is a difference, though not profound. And they look great!

They are kind of a big glass but they are pretty cool. Also Williams Sonoma had an Anniversary 2-pack of the Somm’s for $115 for the pair and then you can get an extra 10 or 15% off if its your first time to their site.

I’ve stopped using my Riedel Somm Bdx stems simply because it was too difficult to wash them without breakage. They’re just too fragile. I’m now a GGG user when I want to be real nice, and a Spiegelau Authentis Bdx. for everyday.

Thanks for all the replies!

Just get a case of the Restaurant glasses. Total no-brainer.

I think the BDX by Zalto is actually a great universal glass. And the one that is their universal glass would be an epic BDX if it were a bit bigger.

I ordered 8 of the Vinum BDX, XLs. About $30 per, all in. Thanks for all the advice, folks!

I was going to order the actual Somm Restaurant Series Machine-made but when I reached out to the distributor that Riedel recommends, the said I would need to fill out an application first, which they would review before allowing me to buy. Screw that, so went to Amazon and got the XLs in 4 min.

And people wonder why Amazon is taking over?

Exact same scenario here. Literally cant remember the last time I used them.

When Delicias in Rancho Santa Fe closed a few years ago, I was able to purchase a couple cases of Riedel Restaurant XL Bdx stems on the cheap. From what the manager explained to me, they are three pieces, instead of one. They have been very easy to clean and quite durable. Haven’t ever broken one from washing yet, only dropping…

I will admit, I really like the Zaltos for swirling wine, but haven’t pulled the trigger on purchasing them yet as I’ve been quite satisfied with my Reidels.

They look nearly identical to the Ridge Monte Bello glasses used at Ridge events. Roy, I have a bunch of those, you’re welcome to a few gratis.