Chicagoland cellar: shopping for a skinny glass door

As the studs on my closet cellar measure only 70 5/8 x 23 7/8, I’m finding it incredibly difficult to track down a supplier who carries a weather-grade door in this smaller size. Looking for an insulated glass center with either a wood or aluminum border. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a custom build. Have a carpenter make it for you. Probably won’t be cheap.

Custom* millwork is insanely expensive, and the wait times can be for months on end.

If there’s enough elbow room, and if you want a quick & cheap solution, then you could slap on an exterior-grade sliding glass door in front of the cellar.

It looks like they start at about $329 in Chicagoland.

[u]https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=sliding+door&catalog=1154397505[/u]

In theory, you can install a sliding door by yourself, but in practice, it sure would be nice to have another pair of hands there to help you.

*If you choose the custom route, then have the mill build both the door AND the frame for the door [the frame is custom designed to fit into your timber opening, and then the door is custom designed to fit into the frame].

If you get a door without a frame, then you’ll have a whole lot of finishing work on your hands.

Also, before placing a custom order, brush up on your Pythagorean Theorem [(3,4,5); (8,6,10)], and get out a tape measure to make sure that all of the corners of your timber opening are as close to square as possible.

If you order an ultra expensive and rigidly straight & true & square custom door [with frame], and sit there waiting for months, only to discover, once the door & frame arrive, that your timber opening is highly crooked & oblong & parallelogramish [or even trapezoidal], then you’re gonna wanna stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger.

And if your timber opening isn’t square, then first figure out how you’re going to square it, before you place the order for the custom door with frame.

[And if the timber opening was square when you placed the order, but by the time the door & the frame arrive, the timber opening is no longer square, then put the house on the market, because it’s got hopeless problems with its foundation.]

Nathan, a very informative and funny reply and you didn’t mention sales tax once!

You’re handy - make it yourself. I made my doors. Forget about the glass. And keep in mind that 23 7/8 is really narrow - try carrying a case through that opening. You can, but it’s a PITA.

Mark - check with mobile home parts stores, they might have something similar to what you are looking for.

If I am understanding the pictures in the post below, I don’t think he will be trying to carrry any cases into this closet…

That would be a custom size and very expensive, you would be better off enlarging the opening.

Thermatru makes a 24" glass door.

Builder Supply Outlet Does fast mill work not sooo expensive but still more than stock

If you do not want to spend the time or money for a custom door, build the door frame out by ~4" and have a wider door frame flush with the outside of the wall.

Don’t they sell them at Urban?