TN: 1970 Chateau Cantemerle (375)

This is why we mature Bordeaux.

Could not ask for a more pleasant bottle of Claret. Does not attempt to be something it is not; stays within its own reach, but maximizing it naturally, effortlessly. A really honest, elegant mature lady. Feminine in grace and aromatics. Excellent balance of bright red fruits, some florals and citrus, then running into earth tones, tobacco and sweaty leather. Medium weight on the palate, tannins fully melted, some graininess to the otherwise silky texture. So lithe, so pretty.

(91 pts.)

Great wine. Looks beautiful in the glass!!

Where did you buy it?

Color looks great. Note sounds great too. Thanks for sharing.

Impressive color.

Ooooh, that looks scrumptious.

Could not ask for a more pleasant bottle of Claret. Does not attempt to be something it is not; stays within its own reach, but maximizing it naturally, effortlessly. A really honest, elegant mature lady. Feminine in grace and aromatics. Excellent balance of bright red fruits, some florals and citrus, then running into earth tones, tobacco and sweaty leather. Medium weight on the palate, tannins fully melted, some graininess to the otherwise silky texture. So lithe, so pretty.

Often, a consistent, encompassing and beautiful description of mature/old Bordeaux.

This is one of the many objectives for building a wine cellar!

The Margaux appellation shines again! No need for 100 pointers to be pleasurable!

I should also chime back in and note, were I to start all over in this hobby, at least 50% of my Bordeaux purchases would be in 375. Gives you the flexibility to pop a nice mature wine solo without any pause or worry how well any remainder will keep to the next day. When you have wines like Cantemerle, wines of such quality and value, these mature babies are affordable mid-week drinkers.

I agree about 375s. My one major foray into futures was the 2005 vintage, and about half of what I bought was in 1/2 bottles.

Great note Robert, just bought a few of the 2000’s and liked your feedback on that vintage as well. Can’t wait to crack one when it gets delivered this fall.

I’ve spent the night buying halves. Have been most of this year

The point though, is that it is not “great”; it is, based on the TN, a beguiling comfort.

I’m impressed by the color…of a 1970…from a 375.

375’s-I’ve been buying many lately. I stumbled into a mixed box of 12 this week-'96 Cos, '01 Montrose, '03 Pichon Lalande. Really looking forward to these over the next many years.

Isn’t that what makes a wine great!

My mind just flashed back to some ‘70 Brane-Cantenac I had a fews years ago. Doesn’t get much sweeter than fully-mature Bdx from a classed growth.

What a great note! And I love all that sediment at the top of the bottle. Thanks, Robert.

I had my first Cantemerle – a 1989 – not so long ago, and though I am late to the show I am doing what I can to catch up. :slight_smile:

Speaking of 1970, the Montrose was a real “tipping point” bottle for me.

Kelly - what do you mean by the Montrose being a “tipping point” for you? I have one of those in my cellar (and I enjoyed the heck out of another few weeks ago).