Suggestions for an under-$25 Chianti tasting?

Tasting for newbies. Should be available in the US.

Thanks!

Depending on where you live at you should be able to find these in the under $25 range. Some are more traditional in style while others are made in a modern style.

Monsanto
Volpaia Chianti Classico
Selvapiana Chianti Rufina
Isole e Olena CC
Felsina
Fonterutoli
Frescobaldi Nippozano Chianti Rufina
If you can find it and want to go a few bucks over $25, having a Fontodi in the mix would be great

+1 on the Fontodi suggestion.

Monsanto is solid and easy to find. Costco carries it in my area

Mike’s list above is very good. I agree especially with Felsina and Selvapiana. I’d also add Rodano, a traditional and quality producer.

Mike’s list is a good wine as they generally should fall within the price range and have wide distribution. An addition would be Riecine Chianti Classico - made in a traditional style and can be found for under $25.

I would also add, since this is for newbies, a lower cost, big production, widely available, Chianti such as Castello d’Albola Chianti Classico. I am not suggesting it is of the same quality as Felsina or Fontodi, but it can be useful for purposes of comparison.

Monteraponi

Our group did a sangiovese tasting a couple of months ago and the CA wines beat the Italians.

These are the three chiantis that scored last out of the 6:

1. 2014 Nozzole Chianti Classico Reserva $20
  2. 2015 Di Majo Melise $9
  3. 2015 L’aura Chianti Classico $17

So I would avoid them.

The 2001 Rosano Viacosta Riserva for ~$20 was an all time great QPR.

Badia a Coltibuono. IMO this is a no-brainer, easily available, buy the most expensive on that fits the budget.
Rocco delle Macie.
I don’t hate to say it: Ruffino
Querceto!

Dan Kravitz

Tease! What were 1, 2, and 3??

If you want a CA ringer, Noceto makes some good Sangio, IMO. Also, another vote for Felsina.

+1

Wine-Searcher had this to say about the Mazzei Castello di FonterutoliSer Lapo” Riserva Chianti Classico:

"Indicative blend: 90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot

“This Chianti Classico wine has received good scores from various critics: the 2012 vintage was given a score of 91 by Wine Spectator.
This wine represents great value for money (as measured by our Quality Price Ratio)…Average Price $ 25 (USD).”

Wine-Searcher page for the Marchesi de Frescobaldi Castello di Nipozzano “Nipozzano” (~$21)

I also used to enjoy the Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico Riserva. It’s been years since I last tasted it, however.

For the money, Chianti has a lot of great wines for the table. Do not ignore Carmignano or the more gentle wines of Morellino di Scansano. :slight_smile:

That’s a pretty good list there. I think San Felice has some good bottlings too.

Chianti is one of those red wines I’ll shift over to in the summer time.

Great topic!

Consider adding Felsina CC riserva (not the Rancia) to the mix. Depending on where you are, it’s in the $25-26 range. Then you can offer the tasters an opportunity to taste different styles/quality levels at one winemaker.

This. I would also add Castello Rampolla

San Felice Il Grigio CCR.

BTW. Di Majo Melise is actually a Molise not a Chianti.

Mike’s list is spot on. I also like Castell’in Villa

I would also add the following as possibilities:

Arceno
Borgo Scopeto
Carpineta Fontalpino
Vignavecchia (can be had for $25 or less sometimes)
Viticcio

I think Querciavalle (not to be confused with Querciabella) is the only one that still uses the governo method, at least for their regular Chianti Classico. Would be worth putting into the mix for variety’s sake if you can find it.