UNDER THE WIRE, NEXT ITERATION

Morgan, Chris, those in the know… any thoughts or words with regard to the impending release of Under The Wire bubbles?

I feel that they have always been good, the first release being a tough younger child… and with each subsequent release showing more sophistication, balance and joie de vivre!

Can’t wait!

Matt Billet

How about next week:

Dear Michael,

We are thrilled to offer the fourth release of Under the Wire sparkling wines next Wednesday, June 20th to those on our mailing list who have purchased previously.

To those who have not purchased previously, we will send out an offer the following week for the remaining wines available to be purchased on a first-come, first-served basis.

This release’s lineup starts at home, with the sparkling Zinfandel sourced from the ancient vines at Bedrock Vineyard. From there, it goes to the extreme northern reaches of Mendocino County at Alder Springs Vineyard, then down south to the Chalone AVA, where Under the Wire began: Brosseau Vineyard in the shadow of Pinnacles National Monument. The road trip of bubbles concludes in the blue-chip land of Napa, more specifically Oakville Farmhouse Vineyard, from where we couldn’t resist the chance to make a tiny amount of Colombard/Chenin Blanc/Malvasia/Semillon/Muscadelle sparkling wine from vines planted in the 1930s.

After much work and even more patience, we are excited to get our newest sparkling creations out into the world!

As always, feel free to reach out with questions.

Cheers!
Chris and Morgan

These sound so darned interesting - can’t wait to try to get my hands on a few . . .

Cheers!

Just don’t sell them on Winebid.

[snort.gif] [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Just signed up! Hopefully there will be leftovers from the people who have bought previously

We got our first batch last year and served then to great acclaim. Recommend!!!

Really pumped to get my hands on some of that Oakville Farmhouse. Been waiting for them to release that. Should be really interesting, as the red wine they make from the vineyard is pretty unique.

Hello All!

Sorry for the delay, posting just under the wire for the release(Ha!).

Thanks for all the kind words and support of the wines WBers! Morgan and I couldn’t be more excited to get these wines out into the world!

Cheers!
Chris

2018 Under The Wire Release

“Walk with those seeking truth…Run from those who think they’ve found it.”

Dear Friends,

It feels somewhat surreal to present the fifth release of the Under The Wire wines. Time has flown by, as it does. When we released the first creation from Under The Wire (the 2011 Brosseau) in early 2014, the grapes for these wines hadn’t even been picked. That 2011 release was just a wisp of an idea, a single wine made by two friends excited by the opportunity to make sparkling wine together and in search of what seemed to be a nebulous question at the time: whether terroir can be captured in California through the lens of sparkling wine. After answering that question for ourselves in the following two years (which was an emphatic YES!), 2014 was a year of perfecting this idea via vineyard selection and winemaking technique.

From a personal perspective, those two years marked a seismic shift in our lives. I moved to California and started to become comfortable talking about my feelings and eating avocados. Morgan took Bedrock from a one-person show to a two-person show (me!) to a four-person circus. We built a winery, walked miles of vine rows, searched for truth in countless wines, and expanded Under The Wire to three wines and beyond, becoming more excited by the results.

2014 was perhaps the first year of living and working in California where I felt I had a more complete winemaking foundation under me and a better understanding of the true potential for Under The Wire. We refined the winemaking process, becoming more confident in the vineyards, picking decisions, making press cuts, aging the vin clair, disgorgement and dosage. We had built friendships that helped us along the way, from growers to the scientist-gone-mad Michael Cruse to the first consumers (you!). The challenges of sparkling wine from vineyard to bottle feel countless, but the 2014 vintage seemed less daunting as we began to focus on refining our idea more than convincing ourselves on the merits of the project as a whole. For us, moving into the 2014s felt a bit like moving from Help! to Rubber Soul or from mono to stereo.

Of the four wines in this release, two are built along more traditional champenoise lines, two are beautiful oddities, and all are uniquely Californian.

The former two are Alder Springs Chardonnay and Brosseau Chardonnay. Both wines come from the classic grape of blanc de blancs, but they grow in two equally isolated extremes, separated by 300 twisting miles and a six-hour drive. 2012 was our first experience making the same grape from two different places into sparkling wines, and once again in 2014, these two wines prove how different sparkling wines can be from equally well-farmed, sparse-yielding Californian vineyards planted in different climates and soils. We don’t have a preference, as they are both such unique expressions of site. We recommend pouring them side by side for your friends and family—if there are differing opinions at the table, it will at least be a much more enjoyable debate than diving into politics or bickering over whether Lebron is the G.O.A.T. (btw, Jordan didn’t lose many championships, neither did Bill Russell(Morgan)…btw, eight straight final appearances, in the modern era, regardless of the results, is one of the greatest acheivements in sports ever(Chris)).

The third and fourth wines of the release come from Grand Cru-level old vine vineyards and peer back at a different era in California wine: The Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel and Oakville Farmhouse sparkling wines. As recently as the 1970s, both of these vineyards represented varieties that were more widely planted than Cabernet or Pinot Noir and had historically been made into bubbles. It is both their uniqueness and history that make these two wines special, as Zinfandel, Chenin Blanc and Colombard were all used for sparkling wine in California’s past—including being a main component of Arpad Haraszthy’s “Eclipse” as long ago as the 1860s. There are also no two vineyards that Morgan and I have walked, worked and laughed in more than these two over the past six years. This is critical, because as Clarence Darrow said, “If you lose the power to laugh, you lose the power to think.”

Thank you for your continued support of this project. We can’t wait for you to try the new offerings!

Cheers!

Chris and Morgan

Wines

2014 Brosseau Vineyard Sparkling Chardonnay - Chalone

Where Under The Wire all started. The 2014 continues to prove in bottle what a unique, delicious site Brosseau is for making Californian sparkling wine: dry-farmed, own-rooted Wente clone Chardonnay vines planted in 1980 at 1800’ elevation. The soils of limestone mixed with decomposed granite are unique and provide this wine’s signature texture. It’s the fourth year we have produced this wine, and this is the most “Brosseau” wine we have made to date while also being the most elegant. The wine still smells like the drive up to the vineyard, combining pit fruits with laurel bay, pink peppercorn and mountainous scrub but with more lift and elegance than in previous years. We love this vineyard and this wine.

2014 Alder Springs Vineyard Sparkling Chardonnay - Mendocino

From a vineyard conceived in the wild-west mind of Stu Bewley to a pretty bottle of bubbles, Alder Springs sits alone at the northern reaches of Mendocino. The nose reminds us of how close this vineyard is to the sea. Pretty fruit and density is framed by a slatey hint of foggy tide— reminding us a bit of Montée de Tonnerre Chablis. The palate is suave and dense. With this stuffing combined with its bright acidity, this wine should age gracefully for some time.

2014 Bedrock Vineyard Old Vine Sparkling Zinfandel - Sonoma Valley

“The best, in the opinion of Arpad Haraszthy, whose judgment in this matter is entitled to much weight, is Zinfandel.”

• Published March 1869 in The Alta California in reference to Arpad Haraszthy’s favorite grape for sparkling wine.

Friends, sparkling Zinfandel is not a “normal” wine for the modern world! However, we can say with confidence that in 2014 we really hit our stride, and I think knocked this one out of the park. It is simply the most delicious example we have made with the most classic sparkling wine soul. Pale copper and rose in color, this is light on its feet with the signature Bedrock Vineyard anise, fennel, blood orange and Campari notes; this has lots of verve and straight up scrumptiousness. It may come as a surprise to some, but Zinfandel has similar chemistries to Chardonnay and Pinot Noir when picked at sparkling wine sugar levels. We are very pleased to continue the legacy of Zinfandel being made into sparkling wine, keeping the spirit of California’s booming 19th Century sparkling wine business alive and well.

2014 Oakville Farmhouse Vineyard Sparkling Wine - Oakville, Napa

“It is amazing that this fascinating, old-field blend vineyard, planted in one of the most expansive areas for Cabernet Sauvignon, is still intact.” -Robert Parker

We generally say that we make single vineyard, single variety, single vintage sparkling wines. This wine qualifies for two out of three. Located below Promontory, next to Futo and just down the road from To Kalon, Oakville Farmhouse is a time-travel vineyard, a vineyard that can take you back to the days before Cabernet took over the Napa landscape. Planted in the 1930s, the vineyard is mostly composed of a mixed red field blend that we bottled under the Bedrock Wine Co. label. But at its southwestern edge grows a tiny ¼-acre parcel of mixed white varieties. The block consists of French Colombard, Chenin Blanc, Malvasia Bianca, Muscadelle, a couple Semillon vines and a few Chardonnay vines. This vintage is the only sparkling wine we have made from this tiny parcel of old mixed whites, as production has been too limited in subsequent years to even fill a barrel. All the whites were picked together and gently pressed into a single barrel. This wine went through about twenty different stages during elevage and tirage, which had all of us scratching our heads wondering what it would turn into. The final wine has finished with an elegance and precision I would have not predicted, with melon mixed with earthy, razor-like lemon pith combined with spice. It has wildness and regality at the same time.

Unfortunately, we have only 200 bottles of this wine, so it is wish-list only. Of course, with such limited quantity some of you will be disappointed. After the offer closes we will be offering six bottles up for auction to the highest six bidders whose wish was not granted. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to a charity of the winner’s choice.

Order placed (with a wish). [thumbs-up.gif]
I absolutely have no problem with the October ship date since it’s safer to keep them stored out yonder than down here in the hurricane prone Fla Keys. pileon

Passed on wish-listing the Oakville, but got two of each of the others. This is the one release my wife doesn’t seem to mind me spending money.

Although I managed to resist a few mailers lately, am definitely in for these. Bought 4 bottles. Wishlisted the Farmhouse and excited to try it.

Just tasted a ‘13 Brossesu. Went back and doubled my order for the ‘14!

Tasted the ‘14 Alder Springs and ‘14 Bedrock today with Chris, and Berserkers Andrew Johnstone and Rich Brown and their spouses today.

The Alder is brilliant with bright acidity, lemon, saline, mineral laced, very gulpable.
The Bedrock has it going on, really interesting profile with crazy aromatics and verve. A serious sparkler with good aging potential.

Can’t wait for a chance to try the Oakville. Fingers crossed.

[resizeableimage=600,800]https://image.ibb.co/i9bhPo/59_C508_AE_71_DB_4926_BD71_7_EEF3_EBE31_B9.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Just signed up! …Dying to get some!

Man, what a seriously awesome day. Such a treat to hang out at Bedrock vineyard with Chris, Brian, and Andrew/his girlfriend, and get tons of old vine knowledge (and bad jokes :wink: dropped on us by Chris while we tasted some killer wines. I agree 100% with Brian on the new Under The Wire releases. The past wines were good…these are on a different level. I was especially impressed with the Bedrock sparkler. I didnt love the 2012 iteration but this is a completely different animal. Doesnt even look like the same wine (much lighter, pink/salmon color compared to the much darker 12). I was actually going to pass on that one this offer, but am now loading up. It’s that good.

Side note…Brian showed off some super-human blind tasting skills when he absolutley NAILED the call on a 16 Bedrock Carlsisle vineyard. The guy called it as Russian River Valley just by the color (I kid you not) and then landed on Carlisle pretty quickly. I’ll post something on the Bedrock thread at some point but had to mention. Damn impressive my man!

BTW Rich looks just like this guy! Freaking doppleganger. [wink.gif]
F73EF5BB-7F22-4008-AA5E-179C702FB02D.jpeg

Ha ha! I wish!

I’ll post a pic of the crew today…if someone would actually send it to me :wink:

Heres a pic of the 14 Bedrock sparkling in the glass today. Really nice light salmon color. Still rocking on day 2. Really, really good stuff.
20180622_140520.jpg

And heres a pic of the crew that was at the Bedrock tasting. Huge thanks to my man/fellow Berserker Andrew Johnstone who won the auction that the one and only Brian Tuite helped set up and was nice enough to let my wife and I tag along.

From left to right - Brian Tuite, Andrew’s GF Lydia, Andrew Johnstone, myself, my better half lisa. Chris had unfortunately already bounced before we took the pic.

Seriously an amazing day - thanks again Andrew for the invite, Brian for helping to make it possible, and Chris for the hospitality!
20180622_162933.jpg