Chicago Wine Bar Rec

Help … need a recommendation for a good wine bar in downtown Chicago. We have dinner plans figured out, but looking for an after dinner place to enjoy good wine, atmosphere, and conversation. Looked for other activities like sports, music, and comedy shows, but nothing looks “attractive” on July 14.

Appreciate any recommendations!

I have had good experiences at Eno. It’s just North of the river on Michigan Avenue. I’ve eaten at The Purple Pig or Volare and wandered there many times. The bartenders/somms know the wines they sell and most people can find something to their liking.

My favorite “wine bar” is Income Tax but it’s toward the north end of the city in Edgewater. Best Italian wine list in the city is Acanto on Michigan Ave across the street from the Art Institute. Amazing selection of Italian wines and the food is better than it needs to be. Two other great places for wine are Avec and The Purple Pig. Alec is Paul Kahan’s small plate restaurant and The Pig is right smack on Mag Mile and the wait for a table can be long–alas no reservations.

Red and White. One of the best lists in Chicago. Great people too.

Interesting to know more have sprouted up. When I started going up I think Eno was the only one and it’s list was not that good–seems to have improved, though prices seem a tad crazy: $33 for a 3oz pour of 2013 Rhys Alpine Pinot; WTF!!!

All the best ones are in the neighborhoods, not downtown- red and white, Webster’s, income tax etc.

Downtown. Out and out wine bars are rare. Eno has been mentioned, rittergut if it is still open. Otherwise the bar at a place with a good bar and a good wine list (acanto mentioned above is a good call.

Another option which is more a terrace than a wine bar but a great place to experience some of the city is City Winery on the river (note there’s also one in the west loop). It is on the river walk and has lots of outdoor seating ( which is very popular). Might be a bit loud for quiet conversation, but should be OKon the bench seats out front. Great view of the architecture along the river and boats going by. Wine is mostly keged wine most of which is made by good wineries on the west coast. Not brilliant stuff, but interesting enough and unite affordable.

Pops Champagne bar is great

How has Cherry Circle Room not been mentioned yet?

But, as for the OP, I really don’t think you should limit yourself to just downtown. Doing that will increase the chance that you’ll end up disappointed on prices and selection

I’ll recommend my own places
Publican Anker in Wicker Park
or if downtown, stop by the Bar at Nico Osteria,tons of old vintages at both pretty cheap

A lot of good ones already mentioned. Purple pig is a good place for a glass, I loved me experience at Eno, plus they have a fun blind tasting game. We also really enjoyed Cherry Circle Room, plus it’s just such a cool atmosphere. If you’re getting away from downtown Rootstock is a good choice too.

agree with keith that limiting yourself to downtown should be reevaluated - in any case, two other spots worth considering:

rpm steak - if you don’t mind spending a lot of money and have a taste for bordeaux/napa

table, donkey, stick - eclectic wine list, great food too. their back patio is pretty great this time of year. sussman runs a great operation and it’s become the hub for the chicago wine geeks

Thanks everyone… keep the recs coming. Looks like I have some homework to complete.

I’m focusing on downtown or nearby since that is where dinner will be and where we are staying the night. I’m certainly interested in recs outside of downtown for another night out.

Cheers!

Second for Pops Champagne bar.