TN: 2015 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Vincent's Spiegel

• 2015 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Vincent’s Spiegel - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (6/14/2018)
    Bright golden yellow in the glass with scents of Asian pear, crushed stone, yellow apple, candied ginger and flint, and a hint of honey. On the palate, bright citrus and stone fruit give way to vibrant acidity in the mid-palate with notes of pumelilo, ruby-red grapefruit, lemon merengue pie that linger along a medium-long finish. Outstanding!!!

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice!

I am drinking the 1997 Brundlmayer Gruner Veltliner Alte Reben right now, and it it outstanding as well.

David,

I had a friend introduce me to Brundlmayer and have been very happy with their wines across the board…but love the top tier wines. They are some of the best values in high-end whites out there.

Have you explored the wines of Schloss Gobelsburg? Their Gruner Veltliner Renner is a world beating value in delicious white wine.

I have…maybe I had a bad bottle of the Renner when I tried it. My memory was it was too flabby…but I like their Tradition…and that can get pretty full bodied.

• 2015 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Vincent’s Spiegel - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (2/22/2019)
    Light golden yellow in the glass. A rich and bold nose of florals, honey comb, candied ginger, dried pineapple, and poached yellow apple immediately command attention. The palate is medium bodied and leads with a cut of high acidity flavors that call to mind cherimoya, star fruit, and green banana that lingers nicely along a medium long finish. Outstanding!!!

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice! I’ll be giving mine a few more years. I’m really liking the Gruners I’ve been opening around 8-10 years from vintage.

On a side note, I opened a bottle of 2009 Gobelsburg GV Tradition recently and it was a lot more evolved than I expected. I’m thinking it was just that bottle, but I need to get into another one soon.

I love Brundlmayer. Sounds super delicious. And Grüner ages so beautifully.

These top-tier Austrians have become perhaps my favorite whites. Last night I opened a ‘13 Alzinger Steinertal Riesling that was totally spellbinding. Impressivley opulent, highly mineral, and impeccably balanced. Reference-quality juice and up there with GC White Burg, top German GGs etc.

Two nights ago I opened a ‘12 Nikolaihof ‘Baumpresse’ Riesling, a small-production cuvée made with an ancient press. Very different—leaner, with bitter citrus and a hint of oxidation—but also great and totally unique.

Nice! Alzinger is my other favorite Austrian producer, along with Brundlmayer. I have some of that '13 Steinertal. It was fantastic when I tried it on release. I’m giving my other bottles a couple more years before I start opening them. Some '11s I’ve opened from Alzinger are in a great place, but the '12s don’t seem very open yet.

I don’t usually comment on the Nikolaihof threads because I don’t want to be the guy making the pointless comment about not liking the wines, but since we’re talking more generally about Austria now, I don’t like the wines (Nikolaihof). I think your note about oxidation gets to why. The high end bottlings always have this weird Vaseline aroma that I find very off-putting. I’ve tasted quite a few and always find it at the forefront of the wines. I must be sensitive to it. I suspect it has to do with an oxidative quality, but I don’t really know. Obviously the producer has plenty of avid fans (and I can recognize that they are very complex), so more for them, and I’ll stick to other producers.

Doug, I’ve found that I like these a bit on the younger side. I may age this one remaining bottle for a while to see if I like it. However, from the 2013’s I noticed I liked the first bottle the most. I’ve liked the few bottles of Alzinger that I’ve had…but if finding some wines in the future is going to be difficult then I’m stuck spending my money on other wines at this stage. This was nice, and I quite enjoyed it…just wanted to share for those that are into these wines a bit more than I am.

A very fine wine.
I was fooled being served the “Spiegel” blind between two white Burgs GC … the Spiegel “won” …