2016 Carter Cellars - Incoming!

Any word on how these are shaping up? Anyone taste from barrel?

It is our pleasure to announce the Carter Cellar’s purchase schedule for the phenomenal 2016 Vintage. In a gesture of thanks to our past supporters, starting June 19th at 9:00 am (PDT), our 2016 wines will be available for purchase by our “Loyal Buyers,” those who have purchased from us in the past. The following week on June 26th, the wines will be offered to our general mailing list.

In 2016 we are releasing ten unique and exceptional wines. From the Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard we have the following: our massively-structured Beckstoffer To Kalon ‘The O.G.’ Cabernet, the slightly more fruit-forward Beckstoffer To Kalon ‘The Grand Daddy’ Cabernet, and the rich, lush and elegant Beckstoffer To Kalon ‘The Three Kings’ Cabernet. Each of these Beckstoffer To Kalons have very distinct characteristics and personalities and have already received very high scores from barrel samples. Moreover we have also masterfully crafted another Beckstoffer To Kalon ‘The G.T.O.’ from the very best barrels out of the vineyard. Also we are thrilled to offer two unique Cabernets from the Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard, the ‘La Verdad’ from our original block, and a new addition from a different part of the vineyard named ‘La BAM’. Also, as in past years, we have crafted the following exceptional wines from world class vineyards: the Weitz Vineyard Cabernet from the eastern Oakville Bench, the Hossfeld Coliseum Red Blend from the hillside of Soda Canyon, as well as a return to the Fortuna Vineyard Cabernet from the valley floor in Oakville. Finally, we are pleased to announce the return of the “Carter”. This wine is a masterfully crafted Cabernet which blends fruit from a variety of the vineyards from which we source.

These wines are incredible and possess our signature style of finesse and verve. As always, quantities are limited, so be prepared to act with haste. We are extremely excited about the 2016 Carter Cellars wines, and cannot wait to share them with you.

Thank you for your support of Carter Cellars, and for affirming and sharing our obsession with quality.

Best regards,

https://www.cellartracker.com/m/notes/search?q=2016+carter+cellars+cab

I spoke to Dan B yesterday and he sounded very pleased with the 2016s. More similar to 2013 than 2015. He mentioned there is more Verdad this year, but still thinks that will go first, then the OG. I recommend getting a GTO mag before they’re gone, only about 20 left last time I checked. Remember Parker’s review of the 2013 GTO? Just a reminder…

Available only in magnum, the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon The G.T.O., short of any meaningful description, is simply one of the most profound and extraordinary Cabernet Sauvignons I have ever tasted in Napa Valley, and that’s saying something, given the extravagant cascade of great, great wines that have appeared in 2012 and 2013. This has it all. It’s like taking Chateau Latour and reducing it to the essence of that site, combined with the incredible purity, crème de cassis and blackberry fruit of the To Kalon Vineyard. This wine transcends reality – a mind-boggling effort that every wine lover deserves to taste once in their life. A true bucket list Cabernet Sauvignon, available only in magnum and obviously very limited, it’s a tour de force, a majestic achievement and a showcase for what Napa is increasingly doing. Drink it over the next 50 years.

Looking forward to this one. I’ve enjoyed the wines from Carter that a few of my friends have, but haven’t purchased before.

As I’ll have to wait a week to buy after the release to the previous buyers, do any of the wines typically sell out before they’re released to the non prior purchasers?

I understand that the GTO, OG, and La Verdad are the most popular, but do they typically sell out before the rest of the list can purchase a week later?

Thanks!

Are the 16’s being compared to the 13’s ?

Don’t understand how they are being offered on 6/19. I purchased the mixed six pack in wood a month ago. Don’t think I am anyone special.

That release was only wood boxed baller sets. This one is individual bottles.

Ah, makes sense.

I prefer to keep my balls in velvet vs. wood, though.

Will be grabbing a mixed case at least. Haven’t tried the more expensive bottles. Excited to see what all the fuss is about.

Yes, 2016s are be compared to 2013s, which will probably mean higher ratings from WA. I highly recommend grabbing some Verdad before it is gone. Check out cellartracker. OG and Verdad are usually neck and neck out the tasting gate.

Wines are up for sale. Grabbed a 6 pack of OG and Verdad. May go back for more later…lol

OG and La Verdad for me!

+1. Those will definitely sell out first. I suspect before next week

OG & GTO 4 me !

Verdad, SOLD OUT as of 2pm! Only 311 bottles left of OG as 3:15pm. Wow, going as fast as 2013, well done!!

Would you say the Carters are worth the premium over other Mike Smith wines and how special is the GTO mag ? Is it really up there with Napa royalty ?

I’m a buyer and supporter of Myriad, and some other Smith wines, but the Carter lineup (especially OG, Las P and Three Kings) always have that “it” factor that keeps this brand at the top of my pick list. I will admit, 2014s did not do much for me and I only bought a few to add to a vertical. However, the 2013s and 2015s were fantastic and can hang among Beckstoffer’s best lots. The GTO is another level that will rival any valley royalty. If someone differs on the GTO, please plead your case…

John

So you think it compares to the Harlans, Bonds, colgins etc

I think it outclasses Bond and Harlan, easily. First off, none of the Carter wines are VA bombs.

So at $599 for the mag its compatively good value if not inexpensive in real terms, ibought some three packs earlier so im trying to decide on a couple of GTO’s my goal is to add a few special wines every year then eventually ill have some special wines when called for