Braised Short Ribs - pair with Burgundy?

We make braised short ribs monthly, just about, and friggin love them (get the boneless short ribs from Costco - they are incredible). Usually we pair with Cabernet or I’ll open a Bordeaux and we’ll each have a bottle open, but I was wondering about Burgundy, like 2008 Sylvain Cathiard Vosne-Romanée, or should I venture out into Northern Rhone instead?

Any and all those should be great. And (if you haven’t already) keep an eye out for the prime short ribs, even better!

These ARE the Prime short ribs! We only go to Costco once a month, and always get them.

I just wonder if Burgundy has the substance to match up

Well, I’ll drink almost any wine with any food, so might be the wrong guy to answer :wink:

N Rhône is my go to but Burgundy is usually great as well.

I think you are good with any of those. I would probably pick a Cab or Bordeaux but also find that Pinot goes well with red meat.

I’ve found that with any type of beef with a higher fat level due to the cut (rib, brisket) or the grade (prime, wagyu, etc), a wine with ample acidity (And body) is a great pairing. Reason being the acidity helps cut some of the fat in both mouthfeel and flavor. Otherwise a more “flabby” wine is just piling one of top of the other (to an extent).

Last month i made my wife a surf and turf dindin for her birthday with some fresh scallops and a wagyu strip. Was gonna open a Howell mtn cab but after seeing that marbling, i went 180 to a good RRV Green Valley Pinot. The wine was excellent with both the seafood and the beef. The beef just melted in your mouth and the wine wiped the palate clean every time.

I can never find them… are they in the usual beef section?

Agree with the comments above… you’re golden with the pinot, IMO.

Post your short rib recipe! I’ve been looking for a good one and if you’re making this one monthly, it must be good!

Here’s the recipe, and it’s extraordinary (and incredibly simple)

I add carrots and use chicken broth (or beef) instead of vegetable. I have gone for a wide array of wine choices for the braising, but typically save ‘old’ wine (that’s not suitable for drinking in a glass, but isn’t flawed like with TCA) and use that. Never had a bad batch.

Yes, but they don’t have them all the time, obviously.

I use a low end Nebbiolo for mine then drink Barolo or Barbaresco with it.

Champagne!

No, wait. Beer!

Those (and Burg) are the perfect stews and casseroles wines.

Todd, if you can do the cooking early enough that you have time to let them sit, cooling and resting in the braising liquid will help rehydrate them even more, as opposed to just removing and tenting. I actually try to cook the day before, then fridge and skim the solidified fat the next day before reheating.

I would be surprised if a 2005 Corton is ready. Do you have any 1999s or 2002s?

2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Vaucrains

A bit ‘valuable’ for a random Wednesday evening wine, however…

Have a couple bottles of 1998 Jean-Michel Guillon Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Petite Chapelle and some 2006 Faiveley Vosne-Romanée

I almost always add shallots, just for the added flavor. Will do coarsely chopped carrots and mushrooms as well if I want it a little more “rustic”. Always add twice as much as you think is necessary, there are never enough [wow.gif]