Billions Wine Sightings

I normally do not watch such TV but my wife has gotten me sucked into the Showtime series Billions starring Damian Lewis and Paul Giamatti. The show is rife with scenes in the hippest NYC eateries usually involving the drinking of lots of wine. I have been able to identify numerous bottles being quaffed based on very subtly exposed labels. Sunday night’s episode ended with a scene in which the principals shared a bottle of Haut Brion around a table (very recognizable bottle shape, capsule and a sliver of the label shown).

Has anyone else identified specific wines in this great series?

Cheval with the Ortolan.

Terrible glassware BTW.

I too noticed the Haut Brion in Sunday’s episode. In the finale of season 1, there is a six-pack wooden box Napa cab in Bobby’s home vault. I can’t remember which wine, I think it was Groth.

Is that Wylie explaining the dish?

Yes it was Wylie

Wonder if it was a real bottle ?

While I noticed those too, I seem to also recall a bottle of Wolffer Estate Rose in an earlier season where Chuck and Wendy were at home in their kitchen, but I am afraid to say, that the wine sightings are dwarfed by the number of times Michter’s has been featured over the years …

I was trying to make out what that bottle was on Sunday night and couldn’t, so nice catch. Did catch the Cheval with the Ortolan scene from earlier in this season. Great great show. While it has to be dramatized to work, it’s not too terribly off the mark. And the wine part fits perfectly as the real life Axe’s are definitely pumping up Burgundy and top Bordeaux prices along with Lebron and friends.

What was the white burg Axe was drinking with the compliance guy ? Some sort of Montrachet maybe ?

not heard of Billions but while it’s easy and fun to spot some interesting capsules and lables in such series, it’s hard to get past the colored liquids in the stemware that they try to make pass as wine

The Michter’s stuff just grinds my gears, considering the story behind it.

I too have been watching for labels. The only ones I’ve been able to catch were the Cheval Blanc and the Haut Brion.

All I can say about MIchter’s is that every time I hear it spoken I think of micturition. Which is in the end one of the results of drinking the stuff. Is it any good or is it just hyped?

I didn’t see anyone mention how close those glasses were to the candles too!

Friends was another TV show that (at the time) was drinking good stuff. Far Niente and Silver Oak (Justin Myers SO too!) were regulars on the show.

I’ll never find out. It used to be a Pennsylvania pot still sour mash whisky. Now it’s a brand name that has no connection with the original Michter’s. You can buy the remaining true Michter’s bottle as Hirsch Reserve. What sold for about $25 when it was a Pennsylvania distillery is now priced astronomically.

I didn’t realize that was Wylie when I watched the episode. I was selling wine to Wylie’s dad at WD once and it was getting close to 5PM. Wylie pretty much had to tell his dad 3 times to stop tasting, they had to get ready for service. His dad just wanted to taste and chat.

Not one of them took a sip of wine after eating the ortolan, and not until Wylie got up to prepare more of them. Strange.

Makes me wonder if the wine thing is the writers thing but not the directors

Great Show Kelly. Death by Armagnac, lol.

Ask Marc Abrams…I think he was both a writer and producer (some of the episodes) of Entourage

In the first season there was a Caymus SS at one of the dinners.

Do you think these brands pay for the placement?

I would think a full frontal would be paid as product placement. But the mostly hidden ones are catnip for the wine geeks.