Big bottles for a little shindig

Hosting an event tonight to celebrate my wife’s birthday and our 10th anniversary. We’re taking over the excellent Nodoguro in Portland for a custom menu with a bunch of friends. I was just getting some bottles together and had to share a pic as it’s not everyday you get to pop some monsters like these. Funny to see the B-S mag looking so small by comparison.

The 6L 1986 Rieusssc has been in OWC in a cooler at the distributor since release, and we got it on a screaming closeout deal - it really pays to have some industry friends! There’s only 15 of us so I anticipate pouring off some 750s for later. Should be a ton of good Champagne too.

Luckily I have tomorrow off :astonished:
IMG_20180610_092958966.jpg

Oh come on. Show your wife you’ve still got it after 10 years and take that 6L down!! :wink:

On a serious note, congrats and happy bday to your wife. Have a blast and report back on how it goes with that monster bottle…and how much your head hurts tomorrow :wink:

86 rieussec is drinking beautifully right now, although I’ve never had it from a 6L!

I am not a fan of sauternes generally, but I simply cannot conceive of a circumstance in which I would find a use for a 6L bottle of Rieussec, no matter how good the wine was. Wow. Maybe if “a bunch of friends” was shorthand for “the population of Portland”

Yeah, we had 3 375’s of Sauternes last night for a table for 8 and that was more than enough - like Neal, I can’t fathom a 6l :astonished:

It’s absolutely excessive, no doubt about it, and probably a once in a lifetime bottle. Berserk [berserker.gif] if you will. We’ll share with Ryan and his team at Nodoguro, they are friends and wonderful people. We’ll need some stickiness to cut the massive amount of Champagne we’ll be drinking.

4 of us threw in on the 6L - we couldn’t pass it up as it was stupid cheap with perfect provenance. If you follow Beau Carufel [Random Wine] or Dan & Chas from Wine is Serious Business on Instagram, I’m willing to bet you’ll see more than a couple #stickyboyz tags tonight.

Yeah Wally’s had really low prices on mags of the 2003 Rieussec a couple years ago and I was going to pull the trigger and then thought when would I ever drink 1.5L of Sauternes? We are big sauternes ppl but still…

I have ordered futures of sauternes before and always laughed at the option of the 6l.

Question: Do you plan to simply pour off left over into 750s or incorporate argon? How long do you expect those to last?

I could direct you to certain parts of Portland where the denizens would wash down that sauternes with some MD 20-20, so, no, I don’t think it would cover everybody. :slight_smile:

My blood sugar went up 20 points just looking at that bottle.

You’re gonna need a whole lot of foie gras!

“No one leaves until the 6L is gone.”

or just share with the staff.

So nobody died or has been diagnosed with gout… Yet. :wink: As always Ryan did an amazing job with the preparations, I can’t recommend Nodoguro enough. After 4 nominations he deserves to win a James Beard award.

After lots of Champagne and some oddities (92 Dujac, old OR Riesling) during the meal, we ended up drinking 1.5L including the staff, and we poured the remainder into screw cap 750s. We gave one to the chef and each of the 4 of us took one, and the other will get consumed by us this Friday. It was in great shape, still vibrant with good depth and balance. A unique end to a great evening with friends.

Not likely that I’ll ever buy another, but it was fun and any restaurant gets Instagram cred when they can post that!
signal-2018-06-11-105015.jpg
signal-2018-06-11-104736.jpg