Pignan or Pialade x4?

Ok Rayas-heads…

If you were buying: Would you rather have 1 bottle of Pignan CDP or 4 bottles of Pialade CdR from the same vintage? Assume it’s a decent vintage and you can only choose one lot.

Pialade, or 2x Fonsalette

I’ve had the Pialade before and didn’t think it was that good. Never had the Pignan. No choice of the Rayas Reserve at all?

Doesn’t come in hbs. :wink:

Definitely Pignan for me. Pialade is my least favorite of all the red wines including Ch. des Tours. I agree, a harder question would be 2 x Fonsalette vs. Pignan.

I’d easily do the Pialade. I’ve had good experiences with it. The 2008 and 2012 come to mind. Totally in the Rayas house style. Pignan might be a step up, but given how much more difficult any wine from the Rayas stable has been to find at retail lately, I’d rather get to experience the wonderful Rayas style on four separate occasions.

PIGNAN without a doubt!
La Pialade is a wine containing all the rests from Rayas/Pignan as well as Fonsalette+Syrah … young vines, less than satisfying barrels … or if there is too much Cinsault/Grenache for the Fonsalette blend …
It is quite a simple wine with only a hint of the Rayas/Fonsalette magic … while Pignan - although an individual vineyard - can contain some declassified Rayas (but not the other way round) … in some vintages very close to Rayas … in others clearly inferior …

I´d take the Chateau des Tours Vin de Pays over La Pialade most of the times …

I’ve not had the Pignan, so can’t answer your question.

However, I have had the Pialade a couple (three?) times, and I’ve had very good experiences with it; at least once, I think I remarked that it was about as good as CdR gets.

that it was about as good as CdR gets.

Well, but at 30-40 € (or whatever) it´s a bad QPR …

The des Tours VdP is about half that price … and it has more character imho …

not to speak of Pignan … which IS A character …

Yes, I vote for any of the Chateau des Tours for those who want a hint of Rayas. These might not be great QPRs for many people, but to me offer more pleasure than Pialade.

Yes, 30 - 40 € (or whatever) is ridiculous. I think I paid less than $30 every time I had it. I’m not a buyer at current prices. It has been a remarkably long time since I’ve had the Chateau des Tours, so I’d be a bit disingenuous to give an opinion, relative or otherwise, on that one at this time.

Thanks to all for input.

I cheated. I bought both. Since I’m the OP I can do that! [cheers.gif]

Will report back.

For the record, they’re from 08. I understand Rayas is the undisputed king of the off-vintage. Hope his record remains intact!

If the Pialade is indeed 30E at the domaine, then the des Tours CdR is about half the price and the des Tours VdP is about 1/3 the price.

La Pialade is not 30 at the domaine, but 30+ in the market … (seriously I´ve never bought it at the domaine, Emmanuel also never offered it - and there are really more intersting things to ask for …)
VDP des Tours is about 10-something off domaine …

Pignan.

Aren’t we somewhat talking about ‘apples vs oranges’ here? Isn’t the Rayas Pignan 100% Grenache? Or am I missing something here? It would be tough to compare a 100% Grenache or mainly Grenache-based wine to something that is not, no?

I do know that there is a Domaine de Pignan that produces a CdP but this is not part of the Rayas family.

Am I missing something here - or just confused?

Cheers.

Yes Larry. I’m comparing apples and oranges … but they’re both fruit! :slight_smile:

I suppose I was merely asking on the relative QPR/pleasure scale.

I’m super-optimistic about the 08s, but only based on the Ch. des Tours CDR which is lovely. I was able to buy so few of the others, I haven’t opened any yet.

I’ve enjoyed several bottles of the '08 Fonsalette and it is nothing short of fantastic. I am sure you will be happy with your purchase once your pop one open. champagne.gif

Pialade is 17-18€ at the domaine. CdR 14-15€. VdP 9-10€.

2008 is possibly the best Pialade vintage I’ve had. Have yet to try Pignan. CdR was fantastic as well.

Depending on how much other Reynaud wines I’d have, I’d certainly go for the Pialade. Its drinking window might be shorter than the CdR, but I find it quite ofter has more subtlety. I love all of them anyway.

Alain