TN: 2015 Paul Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean Rouge

Posted from CellarTracker

Do some of these say “Thierry” on the label now?

This one is Domaine Paul Pillot. I think Thierry is the winemaker however.

Why? I love Chassagne Rouge.

Me too. If we have to blind ourselves to the origin of the wines when drinking the reds from Moreau, Ramonet, Lamy, Pillot, Gagnard-Delagrange, Fontaine-Gagnard, and others – maybe it’s just time to revise our baseline opinion.

Don, fantastic note on one of my favorite Burgundy value selections (all my thx to dbailey in the Burg value thread for first pointing this out) – I’ll have to take a look for the 2015, sounds delicious!

If you go back and read prior posts by Don, he loves them also. Count me as another big fan of Chassagne Rouge, esp. in a ripe vintage like 2015.

My experience is limited to the '13s and '14s from Ramonet but these have been so open and delicious I doubt I’d like 2015 as much. I must have gone through 2.5 or 3 cases of '13 Morgeot and Saint Jean at 40 bucks a bottle as my house Burg over the last couple of years. I guess everyone else wanted the whites :slight_smile:.

The 2015 CM from Bernard Moreau was delicious a couple of weeks ago.

Pillot’s whites can be pretty good as well. Thanks for the note Don, I shall need to see about getting some of the Rouge.

One of the wines I’m most looking forward to sampling is this Ramonet CM rouge 1er from 1966!

We shall see…
4439806F-6040-43D5-A06B-133016D6173C.jpeg

Aren’t the Pinot vines in this Clos 100 years old, or something notable like that? Used to be an under-the-radar find, but pricing now has climbed.

Paul seems cheaper than JM, are the wines comparable?

Ah, I think I conflated these two producers.

Let’s assume someone had a lead on this wine at $42/btl. Case buy???

Yep.

1 Like

Oh yeah. 100%