Sociando Mallet 1986

I seem to remember comments on this board to effect that this wine was on its last legs. Not for me. I opened my last bottle from a case I bought back on its first release (for $11 a bottle). I started drinking it probably around 10 or 12 years ago, and it seemed to have come into its own sometime after 2010. This last bottle was singing, I’m a traditionalist and I like Loire reds, so take this accordingly, but I did not get any green notes on this wine. I wish I had kept some more. I remember one corked bottle from the case, but otherwise all the bottles have been very good. If you have the wine, I wouldn’t hesitate to open it. But I also wouldn’t hesitate to hold on to it longer if you want to.

Thanks for the look in. Have one lying around somewhere. Will line up .

Had this wine last year, loved it:

JI didn’t get any of the funk and off smells you did on opening. I poured some in a glass to smell and taste, see that it wasn’t corked and decide if I wanted to decant it. I left it in the bottle to breathe for a couple of hours. By the time my wife and I started drinking it, the read fruit had come more to the fore, as it did for you. It didn’t budge much over the next two hours. Draw breathing conclusions as you will.

My most recent bottle was in 2014 and I thought it was terrific and probably at last fully mature, but wasn’t worried about rushing to drink my last two. Based on your bottle, I’m still not. Thanks for the note.