WTN: In which I actually like a Sauvignon Blanc

2017 Division Winemaking Company Sauvignon Blanc La Frontiere (Willamette Valley, Oregon)
Everyone knows I don’t like Sauvignon Blanc. The only time I “buy” it is when it is part of some club shipment. A bottle came in a recent club package from Division, and I “resigned” myself to opening it and trying the wine. Well, for the first time in a long time I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the wine. It showed none of the herbaceous/green elements that I detest. There was no grass, cilantro or green pepper. Instead there was ripe melon, quince, tropical fruit and fresh acidity that balanced out a surprisingly rich mouthfeel. I was wondering if there was a hint of Semillon or Chenin Blanc in the wine. Perhaps it was the use of a puncheon and some “neutral” (per the winery notes) barrels, in addition to some stainless steel that created the richer body of the wine. Ultimately it was delicious, and the first bottle of SB I actually finished off since a Vatan several years ago. Highly recommended.

From that description, I think you would like Cowan’s SB.

I have tried Jim’s a number of times. Never enjoyed it. I like many of his other wines.

David, have you had the non-skin contact versions, or just the skin-contact SB (Cuvée Isa)? I’m not trying to be critical, just palate triangulation. Also, have you had Bevan’s SB, which is also more on the tropical/citrus side with little if any pyrazine character, though it is a bit on the woody side?

For a man of eclectic, Teutonic tastes, I’m surprised you don’t “get” sauvignon blanc’s uniqueness and embrace it. I’ll simply never understand, but perhaps akin to Pres. Bush Sr’s aversion to broccoli. [wow.gif]

Mark,

Too many SBs have green notes that I find offensive. I know you cannot resist taking a shot though.

I do like broccoli.

Because of my well-known aversion to the grape people like to pour it blind for me. I have had Cowan multiple times, as well as Bevan. I can still count on one hand the number of examples I could tolerate. The Division was one of less than a handful that I actively liked, and I knew what it was!

You might like Merryvale 2016 SB.

It’s because Oregon is a really good place to grow SB.

I should really try more Division’s stuff. Their Gamay rose is one the few roses I drink.

Who knows. I doubt it’s good everywhere.

That being said, it’s interesting to now go back and read the full details about the wine from Division. They wanted to make a wine without the green character. So apparently they don’t much care for it either!

You should try Jim’s SB bottlings at Patty Green. Unlike you, I happen to really like SB, but find the PG more like how you describe Divisions than what is typical in Sancerre or NZ.

Broccoli is green.

No shots taken. I’m simply surprised, that’s all, because usually you love delicateness, and Vatan or the Cotat’s have those in spades.

I like Vatan’s wines. Don’t buy them, as they are too expensive.

I have had a few Cotat wines. Don’t care for them.

Next time you come to Manchester for a blind tasting dinner at Joey’s place, let me know and I’ll bring a bottle to work. [cheers.gif]

Have you had any German SB? The von winning 500 is very rich (all new 500l puncheons), my friends have guessed white burg and bdx blanc when blinded. von winningSB I might also work for you. I also like the SB II but it is all stainless and the passionfruit really comes through so you probably wouldn’t like.

Yes, I have had several bottles of von Winning SB. It does not work for me.

Russell Bevan’s SBs I had years ago were from the Musque clone, which certainly does have more tropical character.

I suspect with regular SB, most of the time working to tone down or eliminate the pyrazine character would simply make for a less interesting wine. With the musque clone or a great site one can make an excellent wine without lawn clippings.

An old favorite I reconnected with recently is Kathryn Kennedy. I brought one as a blind “pre” wine (to a '80-'11 Ch. Guiraud tasting) two nights ago. I’d say this is a good daily drinker type wine. Anyway, the guy there who detests SB liked it well enough and didn’t call it. It went over well. (We also had an '81 Pavillon Blanc du Chateau Margaux, which was quite good, not grassy.)

Some of the tiny Napa Cab producers make excellent SBs. I often prefer them to their Cabs. Of course they’re pricey.

Side note, i just tried a bottle of their 14 chenin and did not dig it at all. Strange fizzy kinda thing going and and just flat out not enjoyable. Maybe its needs more time or something, but it definitely didnt leave me jumping to try any of their other wines…but sounds like I should at least consider it.

Ah Chenin…another grape where I just don’t get why people keep trying it in the USA.