Victor Hong

New York wine consumers, please note.

#1 Post by Victor Hong » June 5th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Date: June 5, 2018 at 6:44:46 PM EDT
To:
Subject: A Big Threat to Buying Wine in New York
Reply-To: jamie@chambersstwines.com

Dear Fellow NY resident,

I’m writing to alert you to some terrible pending legislation in the NY Assembly and Senate that, if passed, will severely limit the kinds of wines that Chambers Street and other NY retailers can put on our shelves. Assembly Bill 10737 and Senate Bill 5437 would restrict retailers from obtaining our wine selection from any source other than middlemen wholesalers. These bills are sponsored by the big liquor wholesalers who want to eliminate any possible competition.

Currently, retailers in NY may obtain wine from many sources. This helps us find rare, hard to find, unique and older wines that just aren’t available in other states. But if this legislation passes, we will no longer be able to do that and will only be able to sell what the wholesalers choose to offer.

PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW – IT TAKES 30 SECONDS TO WRITE YOUR NY STATE ASSEMBLY-PERSON AND SENATOR. YOUR INPUT AND LETTER WILL HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT IMPACT ON HELPING TO KILL THIS HARMFUL LEGISLATION. Politicians consistently report that – short of sending them money – that messages from their constituents have the most significant influence on their votes. The legislative session is about to end, and the wholesalers hope to slip this by without opposition.

CLICK HERE TO WRITE A LETTER TO YOUR LAWMAKERS
https://account.votility.com/enterprise/NAWR/ec/506

Thank you very much for stepping up and helping kill these bills.

Best regards,
Jamie

Jamie Wolff, Partner
Chambers Street Wines
148 Chambers Street
New York, NY 10007
212.227.1434(p)
212.227.7978(f)
http://www.chambersstwines.com

Jamie Wolff
Lillie Wolff Inc, New York, NY 10007
WineHunter.

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » June 5th, 2018, 6:38 pm

This is what I detest about government. There could not possibly be a rational NYS Assemblyman or Senator who thinks this is right. However, the power of the all mighty dollar corrupts their thinking. Appalling!

Steven Miller

#3 Post by Steven Miller » June 5th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:This is what I detest about government. There could not possibly be a rational NYS Assemblyman or Senator who thinks this is right. However, the power of the all mighty dollar corrupts their thinking. Appalling!
You are being too polite. They are bought & paid for. The only way to overcome is to convince them that it's actually in the disinterest of the wine economy in NY. You need the industry associations like the https://www.nywineindustryassociation.com/ & https://newyorkcraftbeer.com/ on your side and outspending the wholesalers. Otherwise, the wholesalers will eat the retailers for lunch.
tread lightly

Markus S

#4 Post by Markus S » June 6th, 2018, 4:49 am

Thanks for posting, Victor.
$ _ € ® e . k @

AdamLeigh

#5 Post by AdamLeigh » June 6th, 2018, 5:10 am

thanks for posting. the link really does only take a few seconds to send a form letter... the header in the pre-populated note says "supoort" instead of "support" so I changed that before submitting

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Paul McCourt » June 6th, 2018, 6:48 am

I sent both the form letter and a direct email. When I have a minute I will call.

Unfortunately, it seems like their money's purchasing power (of legislators) is getting stronger, not weaker in NY

Peter Papay

#7 Post by Peter Papay » June 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Fight it with tooth and nails!

You don't want to become something like (LCBO controlled) Ontario. It sucks!

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by RichardFlack » June 6th, 2018, 7:57 pm

At first glance the NY proposal sounds worse than what we have in Ontario. AFIK agents can bring in what they like, just have to pay the imposts. And consumers have to buy by the case. But at least the selection is there, potentially.

GregT

#9 Post by GregT » June 7th, 2018, 12:49 am

The governor wants to run for President. He needs money and support. So he's selling out the state regarding labor, alcohol, whatever. The people who won't like it are rendered null by the money the supporters will pay for their customized laws or orders.
G . T a t a r

Victor Hong

#10 Post by Victor Hong » June 7th, 2018, 4:21 am

May this be a forum sticky? Thank you.
WineHunter.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Howard Cooper » June 7th, 2018, 4:54 am

If NY screws its wine lovers and passes this bill, will more of these wines become available in the rest of the country, meaning we get more stuff in DC, for example?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 7th, 2018, 4:58 am

No it compresses the market. Total disaster for all of us.
ITB

Victor Hong

#13 Post by Victor Hong » June 7th, 2018, 5:01 am

All wine aficionados in NY State should immediately use the link to oppose this.
WineHunter.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 7th, 2018, 5:04 am

Howard Cooper wrote:If NY screws its wine lovers and passes this bill, will more of these wines become available in the rest of the country, meaning we get more stuff in DC, for example?
The issue is that I buy a lot more back-vintage wines from NY retailers than from those in DC. No one here really offers that stuff as a major aspect of their stock. This would be a horrible result, but they aren't going to be interested in a letter from non-citizens like me. (Although they presumably get real estate and business tax revenues from retailers in NY that sell to me)
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Howard Cooper » June 7th, 2018, 5:15 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:No it compresses the market. Total disaster for all of us.
The reason I ask this question is that my recollection is that back in the 1980s NY had much more restrictive wine laws than today. In those days, a lot more of the energy and innovative wine stores, etc., seemed to be here than in NY. [Listen to Levi Dalton's interview of David Schildknecht on I'll Drink to That for an idea of what I am talking about.] Now, some of this may be that we had really great people here - David Schildknecht working in retail, Terry Theise really launching his portfolio here, etc. Maybe history would not repeat itself and maybe things changed a lot because DC is really a very conservative market when it comes to wine. And, over time more and more of the innovative people were in NY - people like Lillie at Chambers Street and Joe Dressner as an importer. But, my guess is that somehow or another, if NY closes its market to innovative people, the cutting edge will not disappear, but will reappear elsewhere - if not DC, maybe SF or LA or Chicago or whatever. My sense is that enough people know about the exciting wines from small producers today that the wines will still find their way into the US, but maybe not in NY as much.

None of this is to say that I think the proposed law is good. I think it is horrible. It will hurt the work of the best of breed (the really innovative people in NY) and really is totally anti-American and anti-Free Enterprise. Again, I think the proposal is horrible. Just trying, however, to analyze the impact on the overall market, rather than the impact on individual people (which is terrible).
Last edited by Howard Cooper on June 7th, 2018, 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by David K o l i n » June 7th, 2018, 5:16 am

Switch to pot
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

Bdklein

#17 Post by Bdklein » June 7th, 2018, 7:25 am

I filled in the form , but don't want give my email address.
Will it ask for a confirmation? I could give a dummy one as a workaround
Bruce Klein

Victor Hong

#18 Post by Victor Hong » June 7th, 2018, 7:26 am

My submission was accepted, but no confirmation arrived. Given how non-NY residents are directly impacted, their submissions might be deemed relevant and appropriate.
WineHunter.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Er€z _ L. » June 7th, 2018, 7:41 am

Sent it in (did not get a confirmation email though)
£ € n c n @ r

saul_cooperstein

#20 Post by saul_cooperstein » June 7th, 2018, 8:03 am

As FYI I’m in CA so no a big impact for me...but my take is that letters can be helpful. But history tells us that entrenched monied interests vs letters not really a fair fight. My advise if want to defeat this find some folks that NYC legislators really don’t want to be associated with that support this initiative and then reframe the debate. Instead of framing as support for customers (vs wholesalers), frame as whether legislators want to align themselves with the same interests of someone really bad.

GregT

#21 Post by GregT » June 7th, 2018, 8:09 am

Really good or really bad doesn't matter - what's one to you is the other to me. The problem here is that the parties who would be interested in the issue constitute a very small part of the voting public.

Howard - what's more likely is that some wines from private collectors will go to Acker and Zachy's for auction because those are covered under different rules. Used to be, a retailer could do auctions if it had been in business for some number of years but I think that's changed now and you're stuck with the existing guys.

And for the rest, as Mark says, the market will just be compressed.
G . T a t a r

Bdklein

#22 Post by Bdklein » June 7th, 2018, 8:18 am

Sent but with a modified email address and phone number .
Bruce Klein

Tim Heaton

#23 Post by Tim Heaton » June 7th, 2018, 10:04 am

We always knew this day would come too soon.

Encouraging my NY family to respond immediately.
ITB
CT: Wine-Strategies

Richard Foxall

#24 Post by Richard Foxall » June 7th, 2018, 12:16 pm

NY wine rules make very little sense. On the one hand, favors big distributors, on the other prevents multiple retail outlets that could improve buying power. In both cases, hurts the consumer in a state that 1) produces wine and 2) has an enormous number of upper end dining establishments. But, hey, at least you can ship wine out of the state to my state--even as I cannot ship wine into NYS.

EricG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by EricG » June 7th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Just sent to my family in NY to join the fight. This would be horrible legislation for consumers.
G = G_e_r_b_e_r

G. Newman

#26 Post by G. Newman » June 8th, 2018, 12:00 pm

It's not clear to me that the link I've received from a large number of wine shops this week is as targeted as it should be. It never asks for my address so it has no way of knowing who my State Senator and Assembly member is. I ended up going to the NY State Senate website https://www.nysenate.gov/find-my-senator and the NY State Assembly website http://nyassembly.gov/mem/search/ where you can locate your lawmakers by typing in your address. The Senate site required the painful process of setting up a password just to email your senator, but I thought it was worthwhile.
G r a y

El que al mundo vino y no toma vino, ¿a qué vino?

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Matt Latuchie » June 8th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Got an error message that my out-of-state address makes me ineligible to file. Pretty easy to modify that...
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Neal.Mollen » June 8th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Form letters are better than nothing but an individualized letter, even a short one, is much more likely to get attention.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Bob Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Bob Davis » June 8th, 2018, 12:35 pm

DC tried this about 10 years ago but it never went anywhere. Even as a Maryland resident I wrote a letter to the head of the DC Council indicating I spent $1000+ a year in DC wine stores because of the much better selection.
-------
Pittsburgh Dad says, "Twenty bucks for a field trip to the art museum? Tell you what, I'll drive you past the Lemieux statue for free."

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 9th, 2018, 8:47 am

There are a number of Westchester residents on this board. The sponsoring state Senator represents Westchester. Please let him know that supporting such an anti consumer has consequences.
ITB

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Er€z _ L. » June 24th, 2018, 2:53 am

Update, the bill did not advance but maybe reintroduced next year.
Got a letter from Deborah Glick (assembly member)
June 22, 2018

Thank you for your email in opposition to Assembly Bill 10737 that would require that all wine and liquor sold in NYS be received from a primary American source of supply.

The long standing process by which wines are distributed is through a 3 tier system of producers – distributors and retailers. I see no reason to change this system. I do think there is another issue at hand, which has been individual collectors liquidating those collections of certain vintages and how to accommodate this more selective type of sale. This bill did not advance, but I will be certain to take your concerns into account if it is reintroduced for the 2019 Legislative Session.
£ € n c n @ r

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 24th, 2018, 9:23 am

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:This is what I detest about government. There could not possibly be a rational NYS Assemblyman or Senator who thinks this is right. However, the power of the all mighty dollar corrupts their thinking. Appalling!
There are just too few good honest people in politics on any side. They do not have our back.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Victor Hong

#33 Post by Victor Hong » June 29th, 2018, 11:58 am

From my Noo Yawk state senator:

Dear Mr. Hong
Thank you for contacting my office regarding your objection to S5437/A10737, which would require all wines and liquors sold in the state to be manufactured or distributed from a primary American source. I also oppose this legislation for a number of reasons.

This legislation would benefit monopolists and would negatively affect consumers. It could drive up wine prices, limit the selection of these beverages in New York State, and negatively influence New York City’s renowned wine culture. This legislation may also potentially disrupt the existing market for wholesale wine distributors. Wines from outside sources pose no threat to consumers.

I will continue to inform my colleagues on the risks posed by this potential legislation, and will certainly vote against it if it comes to the floor. Thank you for taking the time out to write and please do not hesitate to contact me with any other issues.
Sincerely,
Liz Krueger
State Senator
WineHunter.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 29th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I am meeting either in person or in conference call with Terence Murphy, my local state senator and sponsor of the bill. I will report back if and when that happens.
ITB

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Charlie Carnes » June 29th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:I am meeting either in person or in conference call with Terence Murphy, my local state senator and sponsor of the bill. I will report back if and when that happens.
Give him heck, Mark!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 29th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I checked his contributors and could not find anything from the wholesalers. I am actually curious as to why he sponsored the bill.
ITB

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Jeremy C » June 29th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:I checked his contributors and could not find anything from the wholesalers. I am actually curious as to why he sponsored the bill.
At times, politicians will do so for a friend in order to obfuscate the real sponsor. Who knows if that is the case here. Please report back.
Cuth.bert.son

Return to “Wine Talk”