TN: Jailbreak Brewery restaurant opening SQN wine dinner with Justin Bonner

JAILBREAK BREWERY RESTAURANT OPENING SQN WINE DINNER WITH JUSTIN BONNER - Jailbreak Brewery, Laurel, MD (5/30/2018)

It has been so long since I first met Justin that I don’t even recall our first encounter. A few years back, Justin gave up his lucrative career as the CEO of a Washington DC area government contracting and IT firm to start a new and very bold chapter in his life. It seemed like a pretty risky proposition at the time to most of us being the more conventional types. But to Justin, who has always been a risk taker, maverick and adventurous soul, this was simply a natural progression. Justin, also being the adventurous entrepreneur and passionate wino that he is, he initially explored the idea of starting a world class winery locally but soon realized that it would not be possible to do so in the area for all the obvious reasons.

Since he had no desire to turn back, he then decided to invest much of his life savings to start a craft brewery ,“Jailbreak”, expressing Justin’s desire to break out from the corporate world. Some of you may know Justin as Mr. SQN. His love and passion for SQN is quite apparent in the DNA of the Jailbreak brand and its artisan craft beers. Justin makes incredibly complex unique beers with creative if not edgy labels. Much like the inspiration he got from Elaine and Manfred Krankl, each beer label is unique and a one of kind expression. Justin spares no energy or expense in making and marketing world class beers.

Sixteen of us, most of whom have known Justin for a decade or longer got together to celebrate the opening of his new restaurant inside the Jailbreak brewery. We sat all down to enjoy a tasting menu specially prepared by the new chef “Fredo”. The dinner began with all of us sharing our personal histories of how each of us first met Justin. It became quite an emotional moment and there were a few teary eyes amongst the grown men as we reflected on the blessings of getting to know Justin.

To commemorate this momentous occasion, we brought a bunch of rare large format SQNs as well as other “Balla” wines. All the wines showed incredibly well. The dinner started at 6:00 p.m. but the party was still going strong when I left close to the midnight.

Roadie
DC traffic around 4 pm can be horrendous. This certainly ease the pain.

• 2012 Aubert Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Sweet dense nose displaying deeply toned yellow fruit, peach, pineapple, apple butter, cinnamon, spice spices and mineral. Excellent concentration, packed very ripe yellow fruit, dense and oily, good acidity, spicy mineral and a medium to long dense yellow fruit driven finish. There is noticeable heat/alcohol at the end. This particular bottle is a bit dull and very ripe compare to the last bottle. Very ripe even for Aubert. (93 pts.)

Starters

• 2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne
    En magnum. Pure and energetic nose displaying pear, apple, candied lemon peel, honey, honeysuckle, white flowers, a hint of brioche, white pepper, saline, cool mountain stream and strong limestone mineral. Very clean, pure, precise and energetic palate, finely layered pure sweet white fruit, abundant very fine mousse, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral and a seamless clean energetic finish. It is even more fresh and energetic en magnum. Youthful but absolutely delicious. (98 pts.)
  • 2000 Sine Qua Non Roussanne The Hussy - USA, California
    I last drank this in 2012 from a mag and wrote “if this follows the aging curve of the rhone whites, perhaps need to be cellared for another ten years but the oak component is a lot stronger here.”. This aged surprisingly well. Once again en magnum. Complex Rhone nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, peach, clementine, apricot tart, strong vanilla, beeswax, smoke, spicy spices and limestone. There is only a slight hint of heat. The oak note is not transformed to vanilla. Excellent concentration, dense and oily but not heavy, bright acidity, strong mineral presence and a long very ripe yellow fruit and vanilla driven finish. Total surprise for me. Nevertheless, not for AFWEs. (95 pts.)
  • 2006 Pavillon Blanc du Château Margaux Blanc - France, Bordeaux
    Beautifully integrated complex nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, pineapple, apricot, honey, honeysuckle, a hint of truffle, butter scotch, sweet and spicy spices and limestone. Exceptional concentration, dense and oily without being heavy, bright acidity, good mineral presence and a long decadent yellow fruit spicy finish. Once again, a bit decadent and really delicious. (96 pts.)

Chardonnay
The 14 Eastside was the best Chardonnay of my life.

• 2014 Aubert Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Stunningly beautiful elegant nose displaying fresh pure white fruit, pear, apple, white peach, beeswax, strong Coche like matchstick, saline and crushed rock. Absolutely gorgeous palate, subtle pure white fruit, elegant, and weightless, perfect amount of acidity, strong matchstick/mineral and a long seamless subtle white fruit driven finish with noticeable matchstick at the end. As I recall Bob wrote that an Aubert tasted more like Montrachet than the real Montrachets. The matchstick and the freshness remind me Coche which is crazy. The is the most elegant and the best California chardonnay of my life. (98 pts.)
  • 2010 Marcassin Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    It seems a bit more mature and ripe than the last bottle drank in October of 2017. Medium expressive nose displaying very ripe yellow fruit, pineapple, peach, apricot, crème brulee, butter scotch, sweet spices and a hint of mineral. Excellent concentration, packed very ripe yellow fruit, medium acidity and a medium to long very dense and ripe yellow fruit driven finish. Seems a bit dull at the moment. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Marcassin Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Decadent nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, pineapple, lemon curd, cream, sweet spices and a hint of crushed rock. Excellent concentration, good precision and balance, dense, rich and creamy, good acidity, medium mineral and a long sweet yellow fruit driven finish. Drinking beautifully. (95 pts.)

Older SQNs
Impostor McCoy and In the Crosshairs were served in Double Magnum!
The Poker Face was in Magnum. Naturally, they all showed incredibly young.

*SQN lovers should add 3pts. AFWEs should just move on.

• 1997 Sine Qua Non Impostor McCoy - USA, California, Central Coast
    From a double magnum. Beautiful fully mature nose displaying generous round red fruit, strawberry jam, cherry liqueur, fruit cake, tapenade, beef blood, charred steak, grilled shiitake and dark spices. Fully integrated palate displaying generous cherry fruit, warm and round, perfecta mount of acidity and mineral, no noticeable tannins and a long black cherry and fruit cake driven finish. This has aged beautifully. Very Rhone like. Excellent showing. (97 pts.)
  • 2004 Sine Qua Non Syrah Poker Face - USA, California, Central Coast
    As always, unbelievably big and concentrated wine. Explosive nose displaying intense black fruit, crushed blackberry, crème de cassis, dry cranberry, fruitcake, ink, licorice, liquid smoke, incense, lavender, dark spices and earth. Incredible concentration, layers upon layers of intense sweet black fruit, unctuous and dense yet quite silky, bright acidity, strong mineral presence and unending finish. The scale is mindboggling. It remains very youthful and will drink well for a few more decades. Quintessential SQN. (96 pts.)
  • 2006 Sine Qua Non Grenache In the Crosshairs - USA, California
    There is so much black pepper hear that if tasted blind, I would have guessed as Syrah. Expressive nose displaying decadent black and red fruit, blackberry, crème de cassis, blackberry pie, black cherry, cherry liqueur, strong lavender, dark spices and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of intense black fruit, unctuous yet silky and polished, warm and round, bright acidity, strong earth mineral and a long decadent black fruit driven finish with strong black pepper and liquid smoke at the end. Excellent showing. (97 pts.)

Sanctus Sanctorum and NOK

• 2009 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape Sanctus Sanctorum - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Initially, subdued nose displaying very ripe warm red fruit. With air, medium expressive nose displaying warm and ripe slightly dry red fruit, raspberry jam, Chambord, dry cherry, fruitcake, tobacco, a hint of leather, sweet spices and earthy mineral. Excellent concentration, packed slightly dry red fruit, warm and round, quite silky and polished, good acidity, pronounced but fine tannins and s long dry cherry and fruitcake driven finish with leather and tobacco at the end. It is softening but needs another five to ten years to reach the youthful peak. (95 pts.)
  • 2010 Next of Kyn Syrah No~4 Cumulus Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast
    Ink and licorice dominate so much that the fruit impression becomes an afterthought. Petite Syrah like inkiness, a hint of cherry, cherry liqueur, lavender, lead pencil, baking spices and crushed rock. Exceptional concentration, very finely layered, cool, silky and polished, noticeable but very fine tannins and a long ink and licorice driven finish with a hint of cherry at the end. It is silkier, cooler and inkier than SQN. For my palate, SQN reds are warmer and more opulent. This is a wine on steroid. (95 pts.)

Stockholm
Both in Double Magnum!

• 2010 Sine Qua Non Grenache Stockholm Syndrome Eleven Confessions Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
    Expressive nose displaying youthful intense red and black fruit, blueberry pie, cherry pie, creme de cassis, liquid smoke, sweet spices and mineral. Incredible concentration, densely packed decadent black and blue fruit, unctuous yet silky, round and polished, perfect amount of acidity and mineral and never ending deeply toned decadent black fruit driven finish. Impressive immense wine. (97 pts.)
  • 2010 Sine Qua Non Syrah Stockholm Syndrome Eleven Confessions Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
    Intense inky nose displaying opulent primary Syrah fruit, crushed blackberry, black cherry, blueberry pie, ink, licorice, incense, espresso bean, lavender, dark spices, cedar/oak and strong crushed rock. Excellent concentration, very finely layered packed black fruit, silky and polished, perfect amount of acidity, strong mineral presence and a long intense black fruit driven finish with ink and oak at the end. This is more precise but not as opulent as the Grenache. Having drunk the 04 Poker Face upon release, this seems very similar. (96 pts.)

Chimere

• 2012 Chimère Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Expressive nose displaying rich black fruit, also a hint of red, blackberry jam, cherry pie, fruit cake, sweet spices, dark caramel and mineral. Excellent concentration, finely layered packed black and red fruit, bright acidity, good mineral presence and a medium black fruit driven finish. Shows better balance and fresher than the 10. Need another decade. (95 pts.)
  • 2010 Chimère Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This seems to be in an awkward stage. Medium expressive nose displaying overripe black fruit, a hint of oxidative note, fruitcake, dark spices, lavender, ink and earth. Excellent concentration, overripe slightly raisiny black fruit, silky and polished, medium acidity, earthy mineral, and a medium oxidized black fruit driven finish. The style reminds me the 89 Henri Bonneau Cuvee Speciale. Hopefully it will develop similarly for those who like the ripe style. Needs time. Very divisive wine for sure, YMMV (91 pts.)

Quintarelli

• 1995 Giuseppe Quintarelli Amarone della Valpolicella Classico - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
    Expressive nose displaying opulent slightly dry cherry fruit, black cherry, cherry liqueur, Chambord, baking spices, wet tobacco and cigar ashe. Excellent concentration, very finely layered cherry fruit, incredibly silky, detailed and polished, bright acidity, very fine tannins and a seamless long black cherry driven finish with tobacco, leather and cigar ash at the end. (95 pts.)

Rumors are that the evening ending in the wee hours of dawn with fine bourbons and cigars which is totally expected knowing Justin and the gang. This was a memorable evening of great wines and, more importantly, great friends.

Posted from CellarTracker

Very, very cool and thanks for posting. While I’ve never met any of you, this seems like a great group that rallied around a good friend to celebrate his next chapter. Oh, and y’all drank some baller wines.

Bragger. :wink: Insane line-up.

Conrats Justin. Space looks great!

No beer TNs?!

I think I sold Justin some CC wine many years ago.
Going to have to check out Jailbreak next time I am in the area.
Looks like a hell of a party!!

Sidenote … a guy I used to work with did a similar jailbreak, and opened a brewery in his hometown of Chatham ON - Sons of Kent is their brewery.
He also works with his brother doing brewpub builds/installs.

Many thanks Kevin for capturing on paper what turned out to be one of the more memorable events in my life! I couldn’t ask or hope for a better group of friends to share in what ended up being an amazing night of wine, food and conversation. I was surprised that not a single wine showed poorly that night. You just can’t put a price tag on well stored wine. The wine of the night for me was definitely that Imposter McCoy. It was in a perfect place. Those Stockholms are the real deal and might one day give 17th Nail a run for the money. Killer time! I’m pretty excited about getting the wine program off the ground at the brewery. Maybe those 2014 Rousseau’s will soon be ready to start cracking open… Thanks again Kevin!! It was a pleasure as always to share your company!

Congrats Justin! Amazing evening and thanks for sharing the experience/notes with us here.

This was such a blast. Everyone present met because of Justin.
We are all both greatful and proud. The place is awesome.
The wines showed very well and the chef hit it out of the park.
Brian, no beer TNs because we had no beer lol. All those reds were either mags or three litters. Even the bourbon at the end was a questionanle idea. But as a group, we are usually full of questionable ideas :wink:

Haven’t been there since they opened the restaurant. Time to go back. The beers are excellent. They have a tap on the far right with a Bud Light handle. Anyone asking for one, they pour water out of the tap.