2010 2011 2012 Maybach Irmgard Library release Chardonnay

Had these beauties as a flight over appetizers yesterday afternoon. It’s the second time I drank each of these vintages but never as a flight. They appear to be unfiltered and the color ranged from dull gold ’10, deep and glossy gold ’11 to lime green, yellow gold `12 on the eye. Upon opening all showed extremely enticing and ready to rock. There were imediate, slight botrytis notes on the 2011.

The 2010 had sweet apple, lemon curd apricot, grapefruit, stony aromas. Stone fruit, white peach, apricot palate and a long finish. The 2011 presented aromas of exotic fruits, pear, grapefruit, citrus lime, an absolute stunner. On the palate it was lush, medium in acid, red grapefruit and some noticable residual sugar with a velvety finish of poached pears. An absolute striking bottle, one that I’d finish without food on a lazy afternoon in a heartbeat. The best with the dishes, though, was the 2012. Aromas of caramel, baked apple, crisp lime juice, simply enticing. On the palate luscious honey coated apple, grapefruit, white peach, medium acid and a full, coating mouthfeel with a finish of apple, orange, great balance. Downright delicious.
Maybach is simply top shelf in my book. Never had a bad bottle. An exception being the 2011 Irmgard Chard, which comes in a different bottle than both the 2010 and 2012, that was slightly oxidized the other time I’ve had it.