Home Depot wine coolers

A friend is looking to buy a 200 bottle wine cooler, any recommendations of the reliable brands?

TIA

Michel

I’ll tell you one to avoid - Haier. A few years ago I bought a small one at HD for the upstairs. We already had a big one in the kitchen and a cellar in the basement, but I thought it would be good to have some wine at the ready in case we woke up one night and wanted wine but didn’t want to go downstairs.

One day I wander over to the little wine cooler and damned if it isn’t pretty warm. Turns out the condensers on those things die fairly early and abruptly, and replacing it was about the same as buying another unit. It was a known problem, although not known by me at the time. Can’t complain as I went really low end, but it was a complete money waste.

Tell him to check Costco.

My U-line is 24 years old and working fine.

I bought two Magic Chef coolers from Home Depot on sale. One is now 9 years old. The other has been replaced twice, lasting 3 years and 5 years. Similar problem to what Greg had with the Haier.

The four Magic Chef coolers didn’t cost as much as the U-line.

Kyle is right, check Costco and Home Depot on line to see what they have. Both offer items not in their store and deliver it to your house. Both list customer ratings and you can double check the ratings through a variety of online sources.

I’ve had good luck with the whirlpool ones from target. Edgestar from amazon haven’t been bad either.cc

I too bought an off-brand at Home Depot. Bad idea.
Phil Jones

Look on Craigslist for units if that is his price point. Very often see eurocave units posted

Problems!

I don’t remember the brand I bought…but I bought a 38 bottle wine cooler from HD for $400 in 2005 and it lasted me close to a decade before it started running hot. I don’t think it had a brand name…but I got my money out of it…

To hold a large number of bottles, I would go with a Le Cache (e.g.,their Wine Vault, which I own and like) or a Eurocave, which accomodates something closer to the OP’s number (not sure Le Cache’s hold less than 300). For way smaller amounts (30-50), I like Danby; Home Depot regularly has a 36 bottle for under $200 with free shipping. (I own 10; so far they’ve held up fine, better than Kenmore or Edgestar with its weird Piezotronic cooling.)

Baller

Thanks!
Any experience with Vinotemp?

Below average rep.

You own ten of the wine coolers?!

Every time I see the title of this thread I wonder if Home Depot has gone into competition with Bartles & Jaymes.

Side by side dual climate? If “Yes,” then we probably have the same one. Ours has been going strong since at least 2005 or 2006. Pretty sure the manufacturer is indicated on a back panel. It may actually be Haier.

I picked up a 3 year old Artevino II on Craigslist last summer for $1,000. Retail $2000 new. So far so good. I fit 175 bottles in it.

Yes, bought them over time, as I needed storage–don’t seem to draw too much juice, though we have solar panels.

Do you have them lined up? Stacked? Love to see a photo