Hardy Rodenstock Deceased

As Rene Gabriel reports on his facebook page, Hardy Rodenstock recently died aged 76. René also holds him in highest praise and bans any bad words on him in the comments. “You shall never talk bad about the dead” as wenn say in German…

Took a lot of secrets with him probably.

A toast to him, specifically with his own wines.

This is the man who posed on the front page of the Spectator with a glass of ancient Yquem and a cigar. Fawning article.

“Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei”. I guess Hardy wasn’t the wurst after all. Maybe that’s Rudy k?

His tombstone will be etched “Here Lies TJ”

Infamous passing, which is always an odd occurrence.
I’m hoping they find a journal that outlines his deeds. Would be fascinating to read.

Here the proof

I thought he only faked wine? not his own death? [cheers.gif]

I guess when you’re a faker, you do need proof! [rofl.gif]

One of Koch’s henchmen finally get to him?

Henchpeople.

At least he had an interesting life.

May he rest in peace.

No one mentioned his career as a concert promoter!

If you haven’t read Benjamin Wallace’s Billionaire’s Vinegar about Rodenstock, you should. It’s a great read. It’s brilliant (and amusing) on the English toff wine establishment and the American buffoons like Sokolin and Forbes who bought Rodenstock’s fakes, and the tension between the Brits and the Americans. And, of course, it gives a full account of Rodenstock’s escapades. (Full disclosure: I know Ben.)

I think Betty Davis summed this concept up the best when she spoke of Joan Crawford’s death.

Hardy had a negative impact on my hobby and was an overt con man.

A delightful German saying. Love it!

The book was great. Really, the long magazine article that preceded it was just about as good. If any wine lover hasn’t read one or both, you’re really missing out.

I’m jealous of Ben’s writing style.

He was a real pioneer in the wine biz, for Rudy!!!

LOL!

Will he be interred in the walls of an old Parisian apartment building?

Bruce

I can’t find anything in the English-language press or on Google.