TN: 2014 Copain Brosseau Chardonnay Chalone

I grabbed this tonight to have with an arugula salad. I figured it would pair well with the peppery leaves, as well as the light citrus dressing I made for it. And, there is so little traffic on this wine that I figured I’d fire up a separate post on it and provide a note on the wine.

Like Counselor Seiber who drinks a lot of the Copain chards, I too agree with his assessment that these are some of the best chards made in California. Everyone has their favorite style and producer short list that they enjoy…Copain is mine. And with the expanding sources of fruit that are coming in with the JFW plots that now should be in Year 2 for Wells to look at, we may see a few more in time under cork. Whatever happens, the very first Chard ever made by Wells was Brosseau back in 2009, and I continue to enjoy this plot and the unique terroir it displays.

• 2014 Copain Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (5/27/2018)
    Last tasted this (and the only time) was July 2017 at the winery. We did a Brosseau vertical going all the way back to 2009. The 2014 stood out that day, as the citrus quality was the distinguishing quality. I noted it that day, and it remains true with this bottle 9 months later. This is really excellent Chardonnay, yet I am not surprised, as I continue to think that the Copain chard program is in the top tier for California, especially for those who are looking for acidity, pure textures, very little oak and alcohol. This bottle shows citrusy grapefruit and lime, light pineapple, some golden apple, then the finishing lick of saline that is the Brosseau terroir for me. And, this isn’t texturally a lean wine, as it has the fleshy Brosseau character that so many of the Copain vintages have shown for this fruit. Simply pure and delicious, liberated from the imprint of wood and glycerine that for me is tiring. 13.3% ABV.

Posted from CellarTracker

You know, I hadn’t thought about the fact that 2009 was the first Chard. Good call! I also really liked this tasting the vertical, definitely more mineral and citrus than the 15 version, which is also beautiful.

That was fun.

We drank '15 on Saturday; it was fantastic!

Great note, Frank. I need to get a few Copain chardonnays teed up for warm weather here.

Here is an update to my note from last year. I have been seeing the good fortune of my wife drinking more white wine with me lately so I am working down some of my still wine inventory and getting some Chards open recently. I have always liked the Brosseau expression, whether it is Syrah or Chard, as it gives a distinct profile in the wines. My last one of these 14 Brosseau, and it’s ready to drink.

• 2014 Copain Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (2/1/2019)
    My second of two. Crummy record keeping as I thought I had two, now I got none! Everything that I put into my TN back in May 2018 is still accurate, but there is a softening of the intensity. Lemon, yellow apple, grapefruit and a distinct saline quality note that still persists in the wine. What I think we have here is the more forward qualities of the 2014 vintage, yet the softening of the acidity now as it approaches year five. While I didn’t want to accept some of the perspectives of the other tasters that previously mentioned words like ‘at peak’ or ‘fading’, I have to agree with the general direction of these comments. My belief that this vintage of Brosseau is ready to go and is in the window now to be enjoyed, as the acidity, plumper fruit and saline are all working in balance with each other.

Posted from CellarTracker