Official thread for CDP bashing.

I hereby recommend that if a brave good intentioned poster puts up a tasting note on cdp and most especially a 2007, that refrain of snarky comments be used in wrecking that thread. Instead I offer up a place to vent, a place where sushi and Magnum stories live in peace and are met with congratulatory pats on the back. A place where jokes about cdp never die or tire. Do the right thing…don’t dump on someone’s honest tasting note, come here and let your cdp angst out. In no time This should be the longest thread in the history of WB ever!

When no doubt successful we can start one for SQN too, “purple drank” just never gets old.

While a good pancake syrup the 2009 Clos St Jean CdP is a horrible table wine- even for the $20 PC sold it for.

Though … sigh … the $15 milliere and p usseglio were worth it

Goes great with sushi…

Sam blasts his own wine! (An angle I hadn’t forseen) with the ol’ pancake syrup. Ross seized the open opportunity as Sam left the Sushi blast right on the tee, brilliant! How are you guys feeling? :slight_smile:

Ready for some 07s … on ice that is!

Thread drift: How are the 2009 Milliere doing? I haven’t opened one yet. OK, back to bashing!
Edit: By the way I really like the 2009 Usseglio Tradition.

Can I hate 98 Beaucastel and 03 Pegau here?

This is funny! Some great wines are made in ripe vintages. The usual suspects made great wine. The summer is the worst time to drink high alcohol wines so this thread is timely. Looking forward to some entertaining posts.

Every once in a blue moon I’ll find one I actually can enjoy…

But stale meat infused prune flavored cough syrup is an apt descriptor of numerous experiences

I regret all Clos St Jean purchases. Won’t even pair with sushi

Funny thread. I wonder how many of the other bashers are, like me, ultimately mad at themselves for falling for the hype and ending up with a bunch of wines that don’t pair well with the way they now eat (sushi aside) and that they don’t really like (and wish they’d spent that $$ on burgs and nebbioli)?

This thread almost makes me wish I still bought cdp. well played!

Haven’t had the ‘09 Milliere but found this in my email from around 2005- drank a few of these back in the day and was more or less in line with my ripe California tastes!

La Milliere 2003 Chateauneuf V.V.

(Full List 31.50) 15.99 91 points Parker: '"I had high hopes that the 2003 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes would score in the low to mid-90s out of bottle, but no such luck. Nevertheless, this is an outstanding Chateauneuf du Pape and certainly a fine value. Deep ruby/plum/garnet with a wonderfully sweet and flamboyant nose of kirsch liqueur, ground pepper, and garrigue, the wine has a beautiful texture, full body, notes of plum, fig, and licorice, and a heady, glycerin-imbued finish. It is already delicious, but does not possess the extraordinary depth I thought it would. Nevertheless, it is seductive and best drunk over the next 7-8 years

I haven’t bought any Clos St. Jean, but have been the victim of other people’s purchases. A 2010 VV was particularly memorable, as my note at the time indicated:

Nostril burning heat on the nose gives way to a dead ringer for Chambord (a sickly sweet raspberry liqueur, for the non-initiated). Stick a rag in it and you get a very colorful Molotov cocktail.

Ha! Gifted out a fair bit of that ‘09 CSJ! :wink:

I used to buy CSJ from PC every year, 2005-2012, when they hit $17.99 to $19.99. Drank most young and enjoyed them immensely with friends, too much generally hampered my productivity due to booziness. Forgot some in cellar and after opening wished I’d drank them young.

I bought some of those from PC as well, from various vintages, they were pretty much all terrible. I think the Usseglio was/is also terrible. However I also bought some Roger Sabon from them for about the same price that was actually pretty good. I think I have a couple left but I’m not sure of the vintage.

I used to think of CDP as my “bbq wine”, but nowadays I prefer old vine zinfandel for that purpose. Much cheaper, higher acidity, and just as complex.

Me too. Zin is better for grilling season.

I have less than 10 bottles of Châteauneuf left but one of them is a pre-spoof/pre-Parkerized bottle of 1994 Clos St Jean. Probably on tap for a fall or winter offline.