TN: Coche Dury Corton C FU...

Just got done with a KILLER dinner at 3star Manresa in Los Gatos Ca…six of us raided the cellar of all the GC Coche, as well as other gems…and a pre stop tasting at infamous Paul B.’s home near by. SO much fun to meet some local berserkers, and of course drink some amazing wines! Will post more detailed notes tomorrow…but I can tell you the 88 Chave at Paul’s(thanks Craig!), and the 10 Coche CC were the wines of the night per venue!

Very nice! The 10 Coche Corton Charlie is a special wine. This is a really beautiful collection of wines.

Is that a Xavier Gerard La Landonne and an Inglenook from the 60s, a pair of Chaves, CD overload? What an interesting and mouthwatering tasting. Krug, old Napa, up and coming N. Rhone, tremendous burgs. Good lord. I’ve severe tasting envy.

that is not Fu. The guy is wearing a shirt with a collar. Is Fu ok? What did that guy do with him before the impersonation?

let’s see some tasting notes, not empty bottles!

An amazing bacchanal of “pre-gaming” at the Notorious PB’s home cellar, then an almost 5 hour dinner at Manresa. PB was more than generous in hosting us for an insane Wednesday “happy hour” in providing the following:

1978 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon (blinded, and Mr. Buzzini nailed the producer)
1993 Marcassin Lorenzo Vineyard Chardonnay (blinded, I guessed a '94 Kalin)
2002 Krug
2007 Roulot Les Vireuils

Chuckles Fu busted out the 2013 Xavier Gerard La Landonne. Edson G dropped a 2010 Leroy Bourgogne Aligoté into the mix. But “townie” Craig G swooped in late with a 1978 Robert Arnoux Vosne-Romanée and a 1988 Chave Hermitage rouge.

Properly lubricated, this group of 6 “unicorn hunters” proceeded to Manresa. We slayed the following over the course of a 5 hour meal:

First Flight

2013 Coche Dury Meursault Perrières
2004 Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
2010 Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne

Second Flight

2014 Raveneau Clos
2005 Ganevat Les Vignes de mon Père
2013 Keller G Max

Third Flight

2005 Chave Hermitage rouge

While the food was a bit underwhelming IMO for a Michelin 3 star, the wines and company were stellar. I echo the sentiment that the 2010 Coche Dury CC (amazing nose, palate and finish) was the clear WOTN at Manresa, while the 1988 Chave Hermitage (stellar example of beautifully aged Northern Rhone, with an exquisite finish) was WOTN at PB’s cellar. Call it the most memorable “Hump Day celebration” imaginable, unless you normally roll like a multibillionaire… [cheers.gif]

i was shocked when he showed up with a collar as well. it was monumental.

hope you’re feeling better fu!

Label the picture! I want names

They told me I couldn’t wear a t shirt. But then buzz wore a T-shirt. WHAT WORLD IS THIS.

What’s up with all the Gangsta signals!?

10 coche cc: electrifyingly pure. Intense minerality and zest that runs on forever. One of the greatest young white burgundy I’ve tasted. It is so persistent and full of flavor without anything overwhelming or out of place.

04 coche cc: really reduced in the beginning. Needed about two hours in the decanter to shed the reduction. Classic Coche profile on the nose and texture on the palate. Didn’t wow me on the palate as it was almost too big and clunky next to the 10 cc.

13 coche mp: big big ripe wine. Fruit in spades. Oak also a bit obvious. Not as clean and focused as the one I had last year but still am immensely packed wine. Needs time to settle down but has all the stuffing.

13 gmax: classic petrol and stone fruit on the nose. Needed a couple hours to expand but when it did. Lordy. It has weight and a fullness. When you combine it with the waxy texture it just coats your mouth with stone fruit and lemon curd. Definitely seemed to be a riper vintage but still very enjoyable.

05 ganevat les vignes de mon pere: sweet almost fruit rollup on the palate but has this awesome savory saline component on the backend that made the palate very interesting (in a good way). Love to see it with more bottle time.

14 raveneau clos: piercing line of acidity and chalk. Had that raveneau ripe edge on the palate but still very youthful.

05 chave : beast. Huge structured dark dense wine. Still showing it’s youth in how broad and dense it is. A little too forward with a hard edge right now.

l-r
fu, erik lund, gene (er) park, steve from so-cal, some handsome m’fkr, buzz

We had Popeye’s and Champagne afterwards. And today I have leftover chicken for lunch, and you have no Coche. So there.

it was a pleasure to meet you craig. popeye’s would have been perfect after manresa.

[cheers.gif]

thanks!

MANRESA - Los Gatos, Ca. (5/24/2018)

Pre-dinner at Paul B’s house

• 2002 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne
    Intense 2002 citrus acidity, very fresh and just the slightest of ox notes…creamed up better as it opened, but seems to need some serious time. Nice florals and smoky minerality, honey ginger mousse…in need of some aged polish. +pts (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Domaine Leroy Bourgogne-Aligoté - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne-Aligoté
    HUGE stank sulphur nose, more so then the last couple bottles I’ve had… really need to air out. Under the stank, there is some nice freshness of lemon, pitted orchard fruits, grapefruit…chalky saline minerals, caramel cream…yet doesn’t have the well roundedness like Chardonnay…more sharp edges. Get past the stank nose, and it an ok for Aligote. (89 pts.)
  • 2007 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Vireuils - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    Wonderful Roulot…creamy with lemon/lime blossom florals, crushed limestone, slight match strike, orange peel, precise and focused fresh acidity…loved this! (95 pts.)
  • 1993 Marcassin Chardonnay Lorenzo Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Still holding on! Ripe yellow fruits, bruised apple, honeycomb spice, smoked vanilla bean reduction…little vein of lemon acidity holding on…aged ox notes and dried honey showing. The oldest Marcassin I’ve had…seen better days, but still a fun drink. (90 pts.)
  • 1978 Inglenook Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Great bottle…still alive and fresh with well integrated plum, cassis, cherry fruits…dusty old cellar cedar, tobacco, licorice, mint/euc ala Martha’s…smooth polished tannins, still with some kick left. (93 pts.)
  • 1988 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    What a treat! Perfectly stored bottle…silky and pure dark berry fruits, cherry skin freshness, seamless, haunting aromas of dried flowers, tilled herb garden, cigar wrapper, sous bois…deep and engaging wine. (96 pts.)

• 2013 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie La Landonne - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    100% Syrah, big beast of a wine, yet still posses that seamless purity like the 15 reg just had. Not as floral as the 15, as there is no viognier here…darker liqueured berries, meatier with deep black pepper, earth spices, licorice, tobacco, smoked cherry, olive…dusty tannic grip, iron and minerals, yet still allows you to enjoy now, but with better things to come! (95 pts.)

Coche flight at Manresa

• 2004 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Had with the 10…HUGE sulfur reduction on the nose, needed a good decant and air to integrate…and it integrated like a champ! Amazing richness. power yet so precise and focused…LOVE the smoked reduction and subtle wood spice that is so Coche…and pureness of the orchard fruit, crushed stones, floral pretties…so much cream, yet so energized. Flat out amazing! (98 pts.)
  • 2010 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    Awe inspiring wine! Had with the 04…started out pretty coiled and subtle, no reduction like the 04 had…but BOY did this wine snowball into and avalanche with some air and time! Amazing subtle power and elegance…the purest of pure fruits, seamless and perfectly ripe and creamy, yet energized with the very florals citrus acidity. Tons of chiseled minerals, kaleidoscope of spices, truffle, white flowers…just gigantic in every which way by the end of the night. As good as white Burgundy gets, and should only get better! Can’t help but give this a perfect score now, yet will deserve even higher. (100 pts.)
  • 2013 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    This wine fascinated me…had with the 04/10 CC…it was definitely the more exotic and riper of the 3 Coche wines…creamy with tropical fruits, and a cool orange streak in it, that actually gained in lift, and peacocked out with an array of citrus oil perfume. Again, still had great energy and crushed minerals to go with the riper fruits…not a “Perrieres” as I’ve had with the intense minerality from the vineyard…well integrated sweetness and subtle dusty wood spice…was at peak at end of the night. (94 pts.)

More whites at Manresa

• 2014 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    This will be MONUMENTAL in 10+years! Tight and chiseled with penetrating fresh lemon/lime acidity and crushed geology. Amazing how soft, yet massive this wine can be? Air and a little warmer temp opened it up, showing the classic waxiness, creamy pear and grapefruit tartness…subtle salty sea air, cold steel, herbs…amazing cut and clarity. LOVE LOVE this wine!+pts (98 pts.)

• 2013 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Beautifully concentrated, yet with a lightness and tingle of acidity, to go along with the petrol and perceived sweetness, that’s totally dry. Not as massively exotic as the 09…nice array of nectarine and peach, green tea, smoked herbs, citrus oils. Fresh acidity that seems a little mellow, yet still possessing great balance and tasty Riesling flavors. Not the epiphany as the 09 was for me though. (94 pts.)

• 2005 Jean-François Ganevat Côtes du Jura Les Vignes de Mon Père - France, Jura, Côtes du Jura
    Clean and extremely fresh with vibrant citrus, quince, candid pineapple…good dose of crushed minerals, slight petrol(clean), sea air salinity. Creamy texture, little wax, fresh flowers…and just a hint of that slight sherry ox you get in the Jura. Really tasty wine! (94 pts.)

Lone red at Manresa

• 2005 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Had the 88 earlier in the day, which was amazing…but blown away by this 05! The most amazing liqueured red berry fruits, exotic potpourri of spices(Vosne spice and red Chambolle perfume)…SO silky smooth and elegant, yet with a sneaky powerful youthfulness that will continue to help this age effortlessly. Deep and mesmorizing flavors of red licorice, exotic smoked woods, dusty white pepper, charcuterie…all balanced and plush to perfection. I have to have some of this in the cellar! (99 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

really nice notes and beautiful pictures.

That is a good combination. Popeye’s and Champagne. Yum.

+1…was a pleasure Craig! Thanks for the 88 Chave! Chicken and Paul’s 3L(mag?) 66 DP? :astonished:

what did Manresa charge for the Coche? Wine list looks pricy.