TN: 2011 Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet Les Referts - Premox 53 pts

Premox.

Slight hint of joy to take it up 3 points from 50 baseline minimum.

Looking up Premox in the dictionary one finds a label of Sauzet.

Ouch! I’ve had a really good run with Sauzet since '06s. This is a real shame - particularly 11s shouldn’t be tired yet in the least!

I bought 3 '05s from my LWS back in the day and they were all pox’d. And that was drinking them within 3-4 years of vintage.

Yes Rauno was disappointed

Sauzet—or G. Boudot—is actually the poster child of positive response to premox, has made many positive changes in response to the scourge.

I recall that starting in the 2010 vintage Sauzet began using corks with a 25mm diameter (previously 24mm) and for 2013+ the Bourgogne Blanc was getting Diam. Looks like the increased cork diameter for this bottle of 2011 didn’t help.

and stopped using silicone and started sulfuring more. Don C can provide details which might also be on wiki.

True on the sulphuring more - had the '12 Champs Canet twice in the last month, and both times surprised at the level of sulhpur (cf 2006-2008s).

I stopped buying after a case of '99 Sauzet Combettes was mostly oxidized.

A counter to those who think that the Premox plague is a thing of the past, and who continue to optimistically buy upper level wines planning to age them as they once had. It ain’t over!

Poured many bottles of Sauzet down the drain over the years including every single half bottle from 2-3 different vintages purchased at 2-3 different locations. Drank an '08 Montrachet well before its time although I would describe its condition at that point (maybe 5 years past vintage date IIRC) as fragile.

I still remember the 2008 Champ Canet, drinking several of those several years ago when Envoyer was selling them for $60. This was the wine that helped me start to trail down the road into Chidaine and Vilmart, to find my way into what I really cherish about Loire and Champagne. I don’t buy the wines anymore but I do have a fondness for Sauzet.

83 Sauzet Combettes at Flagstaff House in Boulder was revelatory. More recent wines are great, too.

Are 2014 Sauzet affected by premox too? Got a mixed case during EP.