1991 Jamet

Just sold for about $2,000/bottle at the HDH auction. Who would have thought the Guigal La La’s would be a bargain by comparison? Damn, this N. Rhone thing is getting out of hand.

insane price for the base Côte Rotie, not the Côte Brune.

Three bottles of Chave Cuvee Catheline sold for $16,000!

I may sit on my Rhone wines to fund my retirement at this pace!

‘91 Jamet is a great wine. I’m going to have a hard time opening my last 4 bottles hearing those prices.

Wow.

i wonder who these buyers are…i can’t imagine seasoned enthusiasts, no matter how wealthy, paying these types of prices. seems more like over zealous newbies riding the hype train.

Regardless of the pricing, I have had that wine side by side with the same vintage La Las (maybe 7-10 yrs ago) and it more than held its own. Every bit as good and that is not something I had ever said about a great vintage Jamet vs. La La. Great juice and just wish I had any.

It’s in my top 10. Wish I still had some.

No rhyme or reason for the Jamet pricing this auction. 98 Jamet went for $500+. Rare wine has a bunch direct from Jamet for 299

First, that price is cray-cray-silly-absurd. Second, I’ll sell you one of mine for the bargain basement price of only $1900!

Bruce

Jeeeeez. I believe my good friend Roger Nellans opened a bottle of the '91 Jamet the very first time I met him - at a northern Rhone party in my newly purchased house in 2001. Holy smokes - that was a wine that I remember still to his day! Ahhhhhhh - the prices are getting crazy :slight_smile:.

Wow. Just had '91 and '99 last night. Glad I didn’t see this beforehand! OTOH, that '91 was about as good as a Rousseau Chambertin, so why not :wink:!

Since there’s no 1991 Jamet available retail on WS, when a relatively rare wine like this comes up at auction and you have at least a couple of bidders who want to chase it…

Bruce

prices are insane. Can’t even think of drinking some of these now.

I bought and drank a case after it showed well at an EWS tasting. But even then, my rationale for buying it was that it was 90% of La Moulinne at one tenth of the price.

Maybe we should do the 95 Jamet weds??? [wink.gif]

Thank you Fu!

Spoke to an Auction house, six weeks past, and they speculated that the 91 Jamet would escalate to $80,000 for an original, OCB (12 .750s), within the next ten years!!!

1991-The greatest Cote Rotie I’ve tasted from this estate, the 1991 Cote Rotie is utterly profound and flirts with perfection. Compared to the 2001 by Jean-Paul (I think it’s a fair click better), it is as seamless, layered and complex as they come, with phenomenal notes of black raspberries, cassis, olive tapenade, incense and bacon fat all soaring from the glass. Full bodied, beautifully concentrated and textured, it’s a heavenly Cote Rotie to drink anytime over the coming decade (although why wait). Drink now to 2025. Last tasted 12/15. Rating, 99. J. Dunnuck.

Oh for those who have patience and trusted the MAN!

Good you didn’t sell it to me at a price I wasn’t willing to pay anyways :stuck_out_tongue:

While I was very surprised by the price of the 1991 Jamet (actually, the most elevated price of the HDH auction IMO), prices were pretty crazy throughout the auction. 89 La Mission went for $1,400 a bottle, 89 Palmer went for $500, 83 Mouline went for over $1,500, and I won’t even go into the Burgundy. There are simply more buyers right now willing to spend crazy money. I’ve noticed that Rhone prices have gone pretty nuts in the last few auctions (especially Jamet, Rayas/Pignan/Fonsalette, Guigal, Chave). 90 Chave went for a crazy price yesterday, at least $500 per bottle OVER what it was a year ago. Maybe it’s the Burgundy crowd moving over to Rhone. [snort.gif]

In all seriousness, I don’t see these Rhone prices going down. These wines are hard to find right now. There are no 91 Jamet wines available on wine-searcher, and even though Rare Wine has 98 Jamet, they only have one bottle. And they’re selling 99 Jamet (not Brune) for $475! Maybe they’ve taken notice.

Amazing.

There’s no doubt that the prices of Northern Rhone wines are on the upswing, but I would caution against us thinking that $2K is now the going price for 91 Jamet. Just because someone felt the need to pay that, doesn’t yet mean that’s the new market price.