TN: 2004 Woodward Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon Old Vines (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley)

• 2004 Woodward Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon Old Vines - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (5/18/2018)
    The color is a rich inky purple and its as deep and dark as a Stephen King novel could get. Heavy legs, still watching them try to build momentum to actually drip. Nose is dark black fruit, blackberry, plum, bell pepper, some forest floor, tar/resin, tobacco box. It took a while to get here surprisingly, it was tight as a drum until a few hours in and it finally opened up. On the palate, its thick and heavy. Fruit is not as forward as I would have thought yet a depth of blackberry and tart a’la currants. You get that green pepper moving to the middle with medium(+) acid and strong gripping tannins, very assertive, mix in some plum (though more the skins) with some vanilla and oak. Finish is long dark and finishes with some bitter chocolate, perhaps a tad hot. This still tastes like its easily got 5 or so years towards a more balanced equation. The fruits are not heavily extracted nor muted however they can benefit from the other components getting some time to mellow out and letting it all integrate more. Going to let my last one sit as this glass is going to sit quite a bit more tonight and I’ll adjust the notes as needed. Its got room to run and improve further. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great TN, Rich. Sounds great!

Nice! I’ve got a nice vertical going of the “Artist Series” Cab starting in '05 so sounds like I’ll keep waiting.