Produttori Riservas Question

I’ve only ever had the regular PdB bottling in a few vintages, all opened young (none past 8 years from vintage I believe). A local wine guy has a limited amount of each of the nine 2013 Produttori Riservas and gave me first dibs, each the same price. If you had to pick your top 3-4 crus, what would they be and why? If I am to use this as an exercise for which riservas to buy in future vintages, are all of them worth opening now to check on? Or are any totally closed and would I be better off finding an older vintage?

1 Like

Paje.
Pora.
Ovello.

Me thinks

I buy Rabaja and Montefico every year it is released and in 2013 grabbed some Asili as well.
Rabaja is usually my favourite.
These wines need time in the cellar and I dont tend to get a lot out of them when they are young and I would suggest trying to purchase some older ones for drinking any time soon

If they are all the same in price then I’d suggest the Asili & Rabaja to start. I’d also buy them and sock them away for the long haul if you’re only buying 1 or 2 bottles. If you can buy 3-4 bottles of the same wine, I think they’re worth checking in on…but if you really want a back vintage to check in on…I’d suggest 2000. They’re in a good spot and ready to go for the most part.

Thanks for the tip!

I buy Rabaja for the personality and balance, Montefico and sometimes Montestefano for power and longevity (though they all have that), and then Ovello and Pora in warmer years. One of Vacca’s recent interviews remarked that those last two maintain the most freshness in riper vintages.

I just st got my 2013 offer. FWIW, I took Rabaja, Montestefano, Montefico and Ovello.

Brian – There’s a fair deal of discussion in this thread of the merits and styles of the different vineyards. I think there’s a consensus that Rio Sordo is weaker than the others, but beyond that a lot of it comes down to preference, the vintage and when you want to drink them.

I got a similar offer yesterday, requested Rabaja, Montestefano, and Pora. Rabaja and Montestefano cuz its my grad year, and Pora to open sooner. I wish my local shop did this for me, I had to hound them for the bottles! lol

Agree with John, in general I’d say Rio Sordo is a little below the others but from there its a stylistic (and sometimes vintage-specific) debate. In general, i think you can say east of Rabaja is a little rounder and more open, then north of Rabaja a little more structured and powerful.

Levi Dalton posted on instagram a few weeks ago from a tasting with Aldo Vacca. He preferred the Montestefano and Asili that night.

What prices are you seeing for 2013s?

Apparently, I’m a bigger fan of Asili than some of y’all. Rabaja, Asili, Montestefano are the three I’ve bought most often.

-Al

Good question. As you see, its a matter of opinion. A few years ago I bought several of the 2008 Riservas to find my own way- heavy on Ovello, Rabaja, Montestefano, Asili. For better or worse, that vintage is a classic long-lived one that’s taking a while to open up, so I’m still waiting.

All I’ve learned since then is I really enjoy Nebbiolo from Piemonte and even the Barbaresco and Barbaresco Langhe take some time to show their best, and I’ve come to terms that it might take a while for me to find my own way. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

PJ’s here in NYC was offering five of the nine crus today for $63.

Where is everyone getting offers for these? If you prefer, PM me. I would love to start cellaring a couple bottles.

Asili (good luck finding some 2013s, they went quick in CA)
Rabaja
Montefico
Ovello

To be honest, in a typical vintage, most of them are worth buying (possibly less so for Rio Sordo, but not sure I’ve tried one). I’ve had 25 year old Produttori Torre (entry level) bottlings that were lovely.

-Al

the place i’m getting mine from offered them all for $60. i think i need to ask for a few more…

Asili and Rabaja. Hands down.

Brian, I buy these Riservas every vintage and always buy some bottles of all nine Cru (even the Rio Sordo!). What interests me with the Riservas is the terroir differences between the different Cru and the impact of vintage. So I don’t cherry pick …

However, as others have said Rabaja and Asili are special Cru, sites on the same hill that many people think of as the Barbaresco Grand Cru. [Beware, the Asili is a short vintage in 2013]. Most vintages my favourite (and Aldo Vacca’s) is Montefico, which is regarded as one of the top Cru. Montestefano is often Barolo-like and is regarded a top expression. Ovello is another important Barbaresco vineyard and the Produttori version is a benchmark example.

Many people would regard those Cru as a ‘top 5’ however that may be changing with climate change. I know Aldo thinks that Paje, in particular, is favoured in more recent, warmer vintages eg 2011.

One advantage of Pora, Paje and Rio Sordo is that they tend to be accessible younger, which may be useful in a classical vintage like 2013.

The best advice I can give, I think, is to go to a tasting of the nine Cru side by side and start to work out your own preferences … For this quality, the Cru are all great QPR so a group of friends can buy a set to to do this …

In a blind tasting a few years ago of four of the crus (not all though) of the 2001 vintage the Rio Sordo was the one which showed up best. Montefico was brutally tannic, almost undrinkable, and Ovello close to that. Paje’ was nice also, and very elegant.