TN: 2008 Moët & Chandon Champagne Grand Vintage Brut Rosé

• 2008 Moët & Chandon Champagne Grand Vintage Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (5/13/2018)
    Mother’s Day Champagne. A simple effort. Strawberry, spice, watermelon and dried herbs. Very short finish and not complex. The most overpriced Champagne I have ever tasted. Terrible QPR!!! I would rather drink a cheap Rose which would have more character. (81 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds like a 93 pointer to me.

I had the wine at a Rose champers tasting that included Krug, Dom, Veuve, and others. I thought the Moet was a bit simplistic as well, though perhaps enjoyed it more than John.

By contrast, I had a Delamotte Rose with my mother on Saturday evening before mothers day and it was wonderful, with strawberry cream, fresh cherry, and cream filled almond croissant. Lovely wine that was $150 on a restaurant wine list in Texas, which is a nice price off a list down here.

I actually really liked this when I had it about a month ago. Probably my favorite rose champagne of the year after the bara Special club.

I’m not a huge fan of this wine, either, which is why I used it for gifts after the first 4 (of 6) bottles were consumed with little enjoyment. Was marketed as a ‘baby Dom’ - ya right

The straight 2008 Grand Vintage is however a stunning little wine but oh so closed. Needs 10 years if not more.

Thanks for the heads-up.
It sounds fabulously b-o-r-I-n-g!

Our friends at envoyer gushed about this. I bit. I am now sad. Sad!!

I love Champagne. I would have been upset if this was what I pay for Mumm Brut Prestige at $15. With the massive amount they probably make of this I would expect bottle variation.

Here’s to hoping the bottles from Envoyer are from a ‘good’ batch. If not, no worries as I have opened very few duds from Envoyer over the past 7-8 years. Actually, I’m not even sure when Greg started up for his second go ‘round.

I wouldn’t fret yet, Neal. Several experienced palates gushed about this wine besides Greg, including Brad Baker, John Gilman and Antonio Galloni. There must be bottle variation, or perhaps the opening of an off bottle or two, or off timing.

Cheers,

Warren

I would suspect this is just shut down rather than out right bad.

The wine is from Envoyer and it is terrible. It is the worst Champagne I have ever tasted. As stated tasted like a cheap Rose. Maybe an off bottle but I love Champagne and this is a disaster.

[scratch.gif]

John’s crusade is going to force me to open a bottle this weekend

Had one a couple weeks ago, quite good not great a solid B for us.

Yeah, Antonio loved the wine, and it has gotten pretty much universally praised elsewhere. I suspect John’s bottle was flawed in some way or it just wasn’t his cup of tea.

FWIW, I had it few months ago- it was a surprise. Without the visual clues, I don’t think I would have recognized it as a rosé. Compared with the '04 I had few times (three, iirc- excellent qpr, great joy), I would note that without the label in front of me, I would not recognize is as moët. Was my bottle/batch off? could be. But, given the number of notes on the bottle that are not as exciting, it is possible that simply one vintage did not meet the bar.
I may try another bottle in the foresee future for verification, but I’d say have a standby bottle in case you won’t enjoy [cheers.gif]

”Baby …” is wine store shorthand for “we think you’re a sucker.”

The only wine worth the money that comes out of Moët et Chandon has Dom Perignon on the label.