Chardonnay tasting near Mending Wall?

We’re headed to Napa for our 5th anniversary in August, and based on recommendations here, we’ll be hitting Mending Wall, among others. We’re going for the Silver Oak Alexander Valley Release Party (Jen’s favorite) so we have one extra full day of tasting. We were thinking Schramsberg but all they have are the group tasting/tour things, and I’ve read a bit on WB about how it’s a little, shall we say, Disneyland-ish, I guess?

Anyway, wondering if you have suggestions for Chard-focused tastings in the Mending Wall area, as we’re looking to fill our first tasting at 11 am on the 3rd.

1 Like

Stony Hill is pretty close.

Rombauer baby, right down the road. champagne.gif

Perhaps Will could taste you on Rivers Marie if they still have any?

I love Stony Hill, but Jen is more of a fan of the richer style Chardonnay

How about Frank Family?

Good suggestion - we’ve not been there in a while, decent place for drop-in tastings, too

This is a tough call, because I think my palate is more aligned with yours.

If your wife likes Rombauer style, then Frank Family is crazy near Mending Wall and makes that more oak/butter style. Maybe 1 mile from Mending Wall? Plus, they pour a wide variety of fruit forward wines.

Larkmead is also close, but I do not know what they are tasting for visits. They do schedule tasting visits, and also very close to Mending Wall.

You will also be close to Beringer, Hall, and even Grgich who can do a more chard focused tasting. (Especially Beringer, maybe ten minutes from Mending Wall?)

Did the tasting at Grgich a couple years ago - they have a great setup. She doesn’t like Rombauer anymore (fortunately), so not THAT buttery…

Peter Michael is 12.5 miles away.
It is worth it. Peter Michael is appointment only.

Yeah, I’m sure…but I can’t afford the wines so I don’t think it’s smart for me to taste there

Willing to make the 5th anniversary special and memorable…up to a certain point. This is a wise move. Keep some powder dry for the 10th, 15th, etc. Under promise and over deliver baby!

My guess is that it’s less about the $ spent on the anniversary versus the $ spent post anniversary on having to buy her “new favorite” chardonnay at $100+

Precisely.

I find the commentary funny that Schramsberg is Disneyland-ish (which I don’t think it is, and is really informative) and yet somehow the Silver Oak release party didn’t get the same notes… ha! [snort.gif] champagne.gif

In all seriousness, it’s great, and you should go. Chateau Boswell is another good choice, it’s right there.

I have no choice on the Silver Oak Release Party - that’s WHY we’re making this trip. I only pay for it and arrange it - that’s my part.

I’ll reconsider Schramsberg, but it was on here that I saw some negative commentary. Will check out Boswell also, thanks

If you want to go over the hill to Copain, they have some great Chards, which I think will suit almost any palate. And it’s a beautiful visit. If you want to go, I’m sure FMIII and I can put in a word and get you set up.

Don’t have time to head all the way to Copain, but it’s on my short list for when we go to Sonoma next

Understood. Failla is nearby, and might be in-between for style, given that they’ve got a pretty wide range of chards. I haven’t had many of them (I like their pinots), but they seem to source from all over the place, so you’re probably gonna get some different styles. And they’re not Peter Michael-priced.

This thread is like the person that walks into their wine cellar and declares they have no wine to drink

1 Like

Aubert.