Two quick notes from mother's day: 96 Oeno, 00 Dujac CdlR

We took my mother out for a quiet mother’s day dinner last night and had a lovely meal at 15 East here in NYC, which I highly recommend for any locals who don’t know it. Great friendly wine service and excellent food.

1996 Dom Oeno with lobster tempura and assorted sushi and sashimi.

I’ve opened a few of these recently, along with some 95s, and I have been very happy with them. There has been a distinct movement among a certain wine set the past few years questioning the late disgorgement program at DP and asserting that the first plenitudes were the best for long term ageing. I certainly love the original release wines as much as anyone, but I think the criticism of the later disgorgements has been a bit unfair. I do feel like these black label bottles went into a bit of a dumb phase at some point, but I’d say the more bottle age they get, the better they are showing. Less oenotheque-y, with less of the signature biscuit flavor. I think they are starting to taste more like the normal DP signature. Overall I think they are looking great and I’m excited to see where they go from here.

2000 Dujac CdlR with Wagyu Ribeye.

This was a delicious steak, and that certainly set the stage for the Dujac to shine. I’ve been a big fan of the 00 Dujacs for a few years and have drank through a good bunch of them. Some bottles have tasted a little too young and unresolved, but when they have been open they are delicious (and usually they get there with some time in the bottle if not immediately upon opening). This was no exception. Needed about 30 minutes of air, and then it was simply a joy to drink. Big, unapologetic, and delicious. Loaded with ripe, bright red fruit. Hard to beat for sheer pleasure.

Cheers
Patrick

My favorite sushi place for lunch.

Nice warm-up.

Patrick,
Agree with you that both the 95 and 96 Oeno are drinking well, and I’ve liked them both from early days. Probably liked the 95 better initially. Time for a side by side.

Ray, 15 East is a decadent idea for a lunch spot. I love it. Sounds like good thinking!

Brad, I’m curious your thoughts next time you compare. To my taste the 96 is a little better than the 95 these days.

Had the 2008 disgorgement of '96 next to the 2006 disgorgement of '95, along with the original disgorgements of both, a few months ago. The '96 Oeno was my favorite of the four.

is roger dagorn still with that group?