TN: Domaine Bertagna Tasting with Eva Reh

DOMAINE BERTAGNA TASTING WITH EVA REH - Yono’s Restaurant, Albany, NY (4/30/2018)

My friend Adrian Chiota invited me to this tasting with Eva Reh whose family owns Domaine Bertagna. Eva is the Proprietor and Manager of the domaine. Adrian is the Sales Director at Independence Wines and Spirits (IWS), which is the regional (NY/NJ) distributor for Esprit du Vin, the US importer of Bertagna’s wines.

The tasting ran from about 5:30 to about 7:30. The current releases are the 2016 which were all opened around noon. The older wines were all opened about 4:30. Delicious apps were served.

For photos and more details, see this tasting on my website.

Starter

The Whites

• 2016 Domaine Bertagna Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Nuits Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Nuits
    Big grapey nose. Strong attack. Juicy. Simple, but tasty. I would drink this over the next 3 years or so. (88 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Bertagna Vougeot 1er Cru Les Cras - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vougeot 1er Cru
    A real stunner. The nose is captivating. Creamy lime custard with some subtle floral and mineral components. Tight on the palate and powerful, but somehow light on its feet. A touch of lime gives it lift. Exceptional wine. What a nose. (94 pts.)

Chambolle-Musigny Les Plantes

Vougeot Les Cras

Vougeot Clos de la Perrière

Big Finish!

These are quality wines worth seeking out that don’t seem to have gotten much notice in the US.

Posted from CellarTracker

nice to see that 14 murgers show so well.
that can’t cost that much (for burgundy), right?

Interesting. There isn’t much discussion of Bertagna here and what I have seen here in the past wasn’t positive. Those were for older vintages so maybe some changes at the winery?

Yes, I think of them as a little oversized and awkward, not that ballerina-like Burgundy some of us love. But maybe some change? Nice to see Ken transitioning over so smoothly to the Burg world, when I first saw the post I thought it was a Barolo producer, lol!

IIRC, the Domaine went through a quick succession of winemakers in the middle 00s and none of them ever got their legs under them. They even tragically fanned on 05, at least IMO. Happy to hear things appear to be more stable and on the upswing.