Mangled Mispronunciations

I have a relative who mangles everything wine related although he fashions himself as a wine expert. I can’t even repeat what he did to Ducru Beaucaillou, but my favorite was when I poured a Carlisle Carignane Papera Ranch and he told someone else to try the “Ca [as in cat]-rig-NAY-Knee.” I guess that’s the Hawaiian pronunciation where you pronounce every letter.

You have any other good ones? Mer-Lott does not count. That’s too easy. And mispronouncing Gerwurztraminer doesn’t count either. Everyone does that.

I don’t even try Burgundy names.

Mourvedre and Viognier seemed to get butchered a lot at local wine tastings.

Dee-Ahr-See

I once met a group of Americans in Beaune (they called it “Boney”)

• and they were talking about visiting
    “Was-knee row-man-knee” …

(does that count?)

My opinion is that shootey-noofy-doofy-poopy is the proper and only pronunciation.

At Total Wine a couple weeks ago they were tasting a wine named Bourgeoisie. pronounced boo-jer-oh-see-ay.

This isn’t a criticism of them, but I love how the varieties get pronounced by servers in Mexico.

char-doe-NET (first syllable like Arctic Char)

ca-ber-NET

I recently told someone that Chardonnay was called Chardonnay because they made it in charred oak barrels. I then had to back track when they believed me.

It’s funny you mentioned Ducru Beaucaillou. I have a wine buddy who so badly mangled mispronouncing that name that he pronounced it correctly!

When I worked retail, I had a “wine manager” who pronounced pinot meunier “pinot manure”

N_1hOy4BkGc

My buddy from Atlanta who’s gone on many a wine trip with us pronounces Bien Nacido as “Buen” Nacido… We just let it be.

Why do people (especially SoCalers) insist on pronouncing “Paso Robles” as “Pahsoh Roebuls”? The L is before the E, not after!!!

i hear a lot of zin-FAN-dehl

Probably because the word “nobles,” which is a relatively common word, is pronounced (using your spelling) “noebuls.” Most English words ending in “[-]bles” are pronounced “[-]buls” (bubbles, marbles, etc.).

Many years ago, when I was just starting to get more into wines, we bought a bottle at a fundraiser silent auction. Had no idea what I was buying, but since we were going to be giving the charity the money anyways, I thought I might as well get some wine for it. The bottle was expensive, but I figured it had to at least be halfway decent.

I had started going to weekly open tastings at a local wine shop (and was getting to know the owners, who are very nice folks), so I brought the bottle in to ask them about it. A distributor rep happened to be in the shop at that time. Explained to them the background, and asked them what they could tell me about this bottle of “Hot Brian” I bought. Took them a second, and they all busted out laughing – as they realized it was a bottle of 1990 Château Haut-Brion. They kindly told me that I did OK with that purchase.

Michael

You beat me to it.

They must all follow Suckling.

He lives, like, in “Tus-CAN-EE?”

Fair point. But “robles” is spanish for “oak”. If someone makes an effort to pronounce a name in the native language, then the same effort should be applied to a non-english name even if the wine comes from the US. No?