Carignan Renaissance, Part Deux

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Drew Goin

Re: Carignan Renaissance, Part Deux

#101 Post by Drew Goin »

Mr Joel "The Godfather of Zin" Peterson of Once & Future Wine posted this image of an old Carignan vine in the "Teldeschi Vineyard" (Dry Creek Valley AVA)...

FB_IMG_1537039032951.jpg
FB_IMG_1537059069275.jpg

Once & Future Wine website:
https://www.onceandfuturewine.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Drew Goin

#102 Post by Drew Goin »

I have reached out to a handful of producers of newer Carignan-dominant wines, and am currently awaiting responses. Sending random questions to small producers in the harvest season is pretty foolish!

Newer Wines that Include High Percentages of Carignan:

Birichino "Scylla" Red Blend: (62% Lodi Carignane, 33% Santa Clara Grenache, 5% Contra Costa Mourvèdre) The inaugural vintage of this old-vine blend includes "Besson Vineyard" Grenache, "Del Barba Vineyard" Mourvèdre, & Carignan fruit from two vineyards planted ~1920's in the Mokelumne River AVA (my guess? "Rauser Vineyard" & Shinn Ranch's "Mule Plane Vineyard").

Camuna Cellars "Ancient Vine" Carignan, Contra Costa: This is a newer producer, based in Berkeley, focusing on Kosher wines. The 2017 "Ancient Vine" Carignan is from the "Del Barba Vineyard" in Oakley, CA.

Las Jaras "Sweet Berry Wine": Las Jaras might be selling more bottles of this blend (49% Carignan, 39% Zinfandel, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Charbono) based on its humorous association with a Cartoon Network program, but it still gets positive reviews on flavor.

Las Jaras "Old Vine" Carignan, Mendocino: Produced from Calpella's "Venturi Vineyard". Bears a booty-ful label, and swiftly became sold-out (like the "Sweet Berry Wine").

Holman Cellars/Uncharted Carignan, Lodi: The Uncharted label from Napa-based Holman Cellars has bottled a Carignan from the "Mule Plane Vineyard" of the Shinn Ranch in the Mokelumne River AVA. I am hoping to hear back from them, too.

PRIE Winery "Block 4, Spenker Vineyard" Carignan, Lodi: I do not know much about this project, but they offer a Carignan Rose as well as a red varietal bottling. I hope that I will be able to provide more details soon. Access to the old-vine fruit of the "Spenker Ranch" is a very promising sign!

Aside from the above list, I have reached out to a few well-known French and Spanish producers of old-vine Carignan, as well as numerous established wineries bottling the grape across California. It remains to be seen who will grant me responses to the Q&A emails.

If anyone has guidance in how I might improve the odds of receiving answers to my messages, I appreciate your input and constructive criticism. [thankyou.gif]

Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Lee Barnard »

Saw today that Desire Lines (winemaker is Cody, the asst winemaker at Bedrock) is putting out a 95% Carignan/5% Mourvedre blend from Evangelho Vineyard. Excited to try - I was very impressed with their Griffin's Lair Syrah, and I'm not particularly a Syrah fan.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#104 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Drew Goin wrote: June 30th, 2018, 9:14 am Since 1999, the Buchignani Ranch, located in the North-West corner of the Alexander Valley AVA, has provided fruit for vineyard-designated Carignan wines for Ridge Vineyards.

2410-RDG-Sonoma-Cty-Map_Buchignani-Ranch.jpg

Buchignani Ranch profile on the Ridge Vineyards website:

History: "Stan Buchignani’s ranch is located on Dutcher Creek Road, in the hills on the far western edge of the Alexander Valley appellation. The majority of the vineyard’s carignane was planted in the 1940s. Stan’s grandfather, Dominico Cerruti, planted the first block in 1927; his father, Dino, planted the last in the early 1950s. The vineyard’s climate bears a strong resemblance to that of upper Dry Creek Valley three miles to the south, where days are warm. Fog, which tends to hang low in the valley, burns off sooner in the hills. Carignane from Buchignani is complex, its fine structure much like that of a field-blend zinfandel."

Here are the producer notes for the Ridge Vineyards "Buchignani Ranch" 2016 Carignan.

[youtube]kYernJammHc[/youtube]

In 2011, Geyserville's "Triangle Vineyard" also provided fruit for a vineyard-designated Ridge Carignan wine:

History: "Carignane is such an important part of our Geyserville that it is rare to have enough for a separate bottling. This is the first separate bottling from the hundred and ten-year-old Triangle block on the same stretch of gravelly soil that defines the entire Geyserville vineyard."

[youtube]36yZ-DwrN_4[/youtube]

I emailed questions to the staff at Ridge Vineyards in hopes of gaining better insight into the growing and production of Carignan wines. I am awaiting a response at this time.
I opened one of my 4 bottles of the Ridge ‘16 Buchignani Carignane and was disappointed. Far prefer the Princess and Peasant to the Ridge, and hope it’s just a ‘too early’ factor. Thin, uninteresting, lacking the bramble character of the P&P
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Drew Goin

#105 Post by Drew Goin »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 26th, 2018, 10:03 amI opened one of my 4 bottles of the Ridge ‘16 Buchignani Carignane and was disappointed. Far prefer the Princess and Peasant to the Ridge, and hope it’s just a ‘too early’ factor. Thin, uninteresting, lacking the bramble character of the P&P

Thanks for your impressions, Todd!! [thumbs-up.gif]

While I have not tasted a Ridge Carignan, "Buchignani" or otherwise, I would've expected your note to include an "oakiness" that seems common in the wines of this producer.

I can't say enough positive things about the Carignans from The Princess and The Peasant!!

Drew Goin

#106 Post by Drew Goin »

Lee Barnard wrote: September 26th, 2018, 9:39 am Saw today that Desire Lines (winemaker is Cody, the asst winemaker at Bedrock) is putting out a 95% Carignan/5% Mourvedre blend from Evangelho Vineyard. Excited to try - I was very impressed with their Griffin's Lair Syrah, and I'm not particularly a Syrah fan.

Thanks, Lee!! [cheers.gif]

I posted the information from the initial email on Desire Lines' "Evangelho Red Blend" the "Contra Costa Wine Heritage" thread.

Link

Thanks

Wes Barton

#107 Post by Wes Barton »

Drew Goin wrote: September 26th, 2018, 12:19 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 26th, 2018, 10:03 amI opened one of my 4 bottles of the Ridge ‘16 Buchignani Carignane and was disappointed. Far prefer the Princess and Peasant to the Ridge, and hope it’s just a ‘too early’ factor. Thin, uninteresting, lacking the bramble character of the P&P

While I have not tasted a Ridge Carignan, "Buchignani" or otherwise, I would've expected your note to include an "oakiness" that seems common in the wines of this producer.

I can't say enough positive things about the Carignans from The Princess and The Peasant!!
Yes, like with a lot of Ridge wines, especially ATP stuff, they can be disappointing young. These tend to be best with 6-12 years age.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Drew Goin

#108 Post by Drew Goin »

Wes Barton wrote: September 28th, 2018, 6:18 pm
Drew Goin wrote: September 26th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Yes, like with a lot of Ridge wines, especially ATP stuff, they can be disappointing young. These tend to be best with 6-12 years age.

Thanks for the input, Wes!!

I have noticed that the wines from Ridge Vineyards are often said to require some good time in the cellar.

The last couple of vintages, according to the TN's from Mr TomHill and others, seem to be a little friendlier in their youth. Whether or not that is due to vintage variation or newer cellar practices, they will probably age just as well as many of the winery's bottlings do, if my blind speculation is worth anything! ;)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#109 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Drew's going nuts with the bold and text color - so dramatic!!!

I'll gladly leave the rest of my Ridge Carignanes to age a bit, but I'm not sure all Ridge wines need 6-12 years. I've enjoyed a lot of relatively young Ridge wins.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Drew Goin

#110 Post by Drew Goin »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:12 pm Drew's going nuts with the bold and text color - so dramatic!!!

I'll gladly leave the rest of my Ridge Carignanes to age a bit, but I'm not sure all Ridge wines need 6-12 years. I've enjoyed a lot of relatively young Ridge wins.

I have to play with the new gadgets that Berserkers now has!!! I'm like a kid that has to touch everything on a store shelf! :P

Wes Barton

#111 Post by Wes Barton »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:12 pm Drew's going nuts with the bold and text color - so dramatic!!!

A lot of their wines show great on release. It sort of seems many that don't get slotted to ATP. A lot of their wines will play to some preferences on release - like bold, oaky, primary, but will age into fantastic mature wines that suit other preferences. To me, even their wines I love young will get much better, and since there are so many opportunities to try them young, there's no reason for me to not age them. I have many hundreds of data points to attest to that.
ITB - Useless lackey

Drew Goin

#112 Post by Drew Goin »

Wes Barton wrote: October 1st, 2018, 1:10 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:12 pm...I'll gladly leave the rest of my Ridge Carignanes to age a bit, but I'm not sure all Ridge wines need 6-12 years. I've enjoyed a lot of relatively young Ridge wins.
A lot of their wines show great on release. It sort of seems many that don't get slotted to ATP. A lot of their wines will play to some preferences on release - like bold, oaky, primary, but will age into fantastic mature wines that suit other preferences. To me, even their wines I love young will get much better, and since there are so many opportunities to try them young, there's no reason for me to not age them. I have many hundreds of data points to attest to that.

Though I haven't posted much about Ridge's Carignan wines, it remains undeniable that the winery has been selling varietally-bottled wines for a long period of time.

CellarTracker shows a consistent line of Carignan bottlings ("Whitten Ranch", "Oat Valley", "Dutcher Creek", "Buchignani Ranch", etc...) at least back to the early 1990's. There's even a single entry for a 1971 Ridge "Central Coast" Carignan! I am astounded by how many positive TN's are posted on CT for 10-15-year-old Carignan wines from this producer!!!

I sent one of my "Carignan Renaissance Q&A Emails" to the winery a good while back, but I never received a reply. :(

Dan Kravitz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#113 Post by Dan Kravitz »

semi-commercial post:

This is the first time in almost a decade that I have not been in France for the harvest of my vineyard. However I have been getting regular reports.

A couple of parcels of younger, productive (hopefully not over-productive) Carignan were picked 10 - 14 days ago. However most of my Carignan is still on the vine and picking is slated for Friday. This is the latest that any of my Carignan has ever been picked. The remaining parcels include the sweet spot mid-slope, about half of the 3 acres I planted in 2008, and two excellent parcels of just over an acre each that are 50 and almost 70 years old. The Syrah was harvested earliest, about 3 weeks ago, along with some of the lesser Grenache parcels. The rest of the Grenache parcels, the good stuff, was being picked today and will finish just before they start the Carignan. I'm curious and excited to see how the wines do with the longest hang time yet. I'll go over as soon as alcoholic and malolactic are finished.

Drew, any idea when Teldeschi Carignan is picked?

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Leonard Maran

#114 Post by Leonard Maran »

Dan, any thoughts about the 2014 Chateau Puech-Haut 'Reboussier' Saint-Drezery?

Dan Kravitz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#115 Post by Dan Kravitz »

Hi Leonard,

I have not had it, but will try it when I'm in France next month blending my own wines. I had a bottle of the 2011 about a month ago and it remains a high 90 point wine for me.

A little ironic / curious that they make it only in certain vintages and those vintages tend to be lesser ones for the region in general.

Before posting, I just went on line to see availability. Wine-Searcher shows exactly one store in Spain offering this wine!?! It is not on the Puech-Haut website!?!?! But of course I don't think the website has been updated since they first bottled this.

I know people in France who know Puech-Haut and can source it, so it will be there for me. I will make it a point to post on it in this thread.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Drew Goin

#116 Post by Drew Goin »

Dan Kravitz wrote: October 1st, 2018, 3:41 pm semi-commercial post:

This is the first time in almost a decade that I have not been in France for the harvest of my vineyard. However I have been getting regular reports.

A couple of parcels of younger, productive (hopefully not over-productive) Carignan were picked 10 - 14 days ago. However most of my Carignan is still on the vine and picking is slated for Friday. This is the latest that any of my Carignan has ever been picked. The remaining parcels include the sweet spot mid-slope, about half of the 3 acres I planted in 2008, and two excellent parcels of just over an acre each that are 50 and almost 70 years old. The Syrah was harvested earliest, about 3 weeks ago, along with some of the lesser Grenache parcels. The rest of the Grenache parcels, the good stuff, was being picked today and will finish just before they start the Carignan. I'm curious and excited to see how the wines do with the longest hang time yet. I'll go over as soon as alcoholic and malolactic are finished.

Drew, any idea when Teldeschi Carignan is picked?

Dan Kravitz

Thanks for the report on your French vineyard Carignan plots and details about the '18 harvest, Dan!!!

As for when the Teldeschi Family's Dry Creek AVA East-bench Carignan is picked, I will have to check directly with them.

I don't know whether the old, interplanted Carignan vines in "Frank's Block" are the only ones in the whole vineyard or not.

I also am not certain who makes the call for the pick: the grower or the client(s)?

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Ken Zinns »

Drew, in light of your recent post on Maule Valley Carignan, I thought I'd post this photo of one of our post-winery work "mystery wines" from Saturday. Al Osterheld brought this one. Very nice wine though it lacked what I think of as typical Carignan character, and no one guessed Carignan until Al had given us lots of hints.

maule valley carignan.jpg
Drew Goin wrote: August 17th, 2018, 10:50 pmi-WineReview
"The Emergence of Carignan in Chile's Maule Valley"
by Mike Potashnik and Don Winkler
April 14, 2013

This article reviews about 20 different Chilean Carignan wines from the VIGNO project!!!

Wine Anorak
"Vigno: Old vine Carignan wine from Maule, Chile"
by Jamie Goode
January, 2012 (?)

"The rules for Vigno is that the wines must be made from at least 65% old, dry-farmed Carignan vines from Maule, with any balance being also old vine Maule fruit. The vines have to be unirrigated and head pruned bush vines (gobelet).

This sounds like an exciting, authentic sort of project, so I was pleased to be able to taste through wines from all 12 members with one of the producers, Derek Mossman of the Garage Wine Company."

Jamie Goode's consistently awesome website includes a brief overview of the VIGNO program and a dozen tasting notes, almost exclusively from the 2008 vintage.

Susie & Peter: Masters of Wine
"VIGNO: Chile's New Name"

I was unfamiliar with the website prior to reading this article. It provides the most thorough exploration of the history, the background leading up to the formation of VIGNO, and is very detailed, yet concise.

Les 5 du Vin
"Carignan from Chile"
December 11, 2015

This website usually focuses on Carignan in France (the whole thing is in French, so it's helpful to have an auto-translate feature on your computer or phone when visiting the site!), but this article focuses on the Chilean wine scene. 11 wines are tasted, predominantly from the 2012 vintage.

There is another entry on Chile's Carignan growing regions: https://les5duvin.wordpress.com/2013/06 ... ermission/

• Other Les 5 du Vin Articles on "Carignan":
https://les5duvin.wordpress.com/?s=Carignan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

Drew Goin

#118 Post by Drew Goin »

Ken Zinns wrote: October 8th, 2018, 6:59 am Drew, in light of your recent post on Maule Valley Carignan, I thought I'd post this photo of one of our post-winery work "mystery wines" from Saturday. Al Osterheld brought this one. Very nice wine though it lacked what I think of as typical Carignan character, and no one guessed Carignan until Al had given us lots of hints.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this VIGNO Carignan, Ken!!

I have not tasted as many Chilean producers as I would like to have but, of the brands I have read the most about, Garcia & Schwaderer is around the bottom. It's not easy to find much written about this particular project. I think I recall that it received good ratings from several critics, for whatever that is worth.

Vine Connections profile on Garcia & Schwaderer:
http://www.vineconnections.com/chilean- ... chwaderer/

Vine Connections: Garcia & Schwaderer VIGNO 2014 Carignan:
http://www.vineconnections.com/chilean- ... igno/2014/

"This 100% Carignan Vigno wine is sourced from two blocks of the Crucecillas vineyard planted in 1958 that are vinified separately. That is followed by a winery selection and the best lots are aged in third and fourth use French neutral oak for 24 months."

Around the World in 80 Harvests website
"Coming of Age: VIGNO and Chile's Landmark Appellation in Maule"
by Amanda Barnes
March 7, 2018

"...Garcia + Schwaderer Vigno 2014

"With 21 months in French oak, this pure Carignan takes a little while to open but when it does a heady concoction of bright fruit, flowers and herbs unfold. In the mouth, it has a fuller body with spice and an acidity that puckers your lips and clears the palate. This is an intense wine of contradictions and it engages your brain while you drink it...."

Wes Barton

#119 Post by Wes Barton »

Drew Goin wrote: October 8th, 2018, 12:23 pm
Ken Zinns wrote: October 8th, 2018, 6:59 am Drew, in light of your recent post on Maule Valley Carignan, I thought I'd post this photo of one of our post-winery work "mystery wines" from Saturday. Al Osterheld brought this one. Very nice wine though it lacked what I think of as typical Carignan character, and no one guessed Carignan until Al had given us lots of hints.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this VIGNO Carignan, Ken!!
I had it non-blind 24 hours later. It did have a lot of Carignan character, from fruit to mouth feel, but also a focus and central structure unlike any I'd had before. Very mountain fruit-like. Fantastic wine.
ITB - Useless lackey

Drew Goin

#120 Post by Drew Goin »

Thanks for the update and your opinion on this wine, Wes!

Drew Goin

#121 Post by Drew Goin »

Drew Goin wrote: October 6th, 2018, 3:10 pm
Dan Kravitz wrote: October 1st, 2018, 3:41 pm...Drew, any idea when Teldeschi Carignan is picked?

Dan Kravitz
...As for when the Teldeschi Family's Dry Creek AVA East-bench Carignan is picked, I will have to check directly with them.

I don't know whether the old, interplanted Carignan vines in "Frank's Block" are the only ones in the whole vineyard or not.

Dan,

Looking back at the Once & Future Facebook post by Mr Joel Peterson of the photos he has of the "Frank's Block" pick of the "Teldeschi Vineyard", the date was around September 15th.

Drew Goin

#122 Post by Drew Goin »

Here are a couple of pictures, from Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines, posted on Facebook by Mr Hardy Wallace.

These are Carignan clusters growing on Talmage-area vines in Mendocino County:

FB_IMG_1539375307163.jpg
FB_IMG_1539375315835.jpg

Drew Goin

#123 Post by Drew Goin »

Only the first 1:15 minutes of the following vid-jo from Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines features their Mendocino (Talmage area) Carignan pick, but I am always astounded by how tall old head-trained Carignan vines can grow!

Here's a photo from Mr Dan Riven (of The Princess and The Peasant) in the Talmage-area "City of 10,000 Buddhas Vineyard" - look at the height of the Carignan vines!!!

buddhas.jpg

According Mr Max Reichwage, current owner of the "Mancini Vineyard" and Reichwage Winery, the Russian River Valley site has some old-vine Carignan bordering the vineyard. This may have been an aesthetic decision by those responsible for planting the vines:

"Most of the Carignane is located on the N side of Mancini, and the S side of Papera, along Piner Road (note: Olivet Road did not used to continue South, so Piner was the main thoroughfare). I think Lucca Mancini and Charlie Papera planted the Carignane near the road for 'curb appeal', they wanted the large, vigorous, Carignane vines to stand tall, proudly displaying their massive clusters. But that's just my theory."

Carignan vines in many ancient Zinfandel/mixed blacks vineyards can be distinquished by the way they tower over other inter-planted varieties.

In Lodi, the "Royal Tee Vineyard" has some of the oldest grapevines in the area, and its Carignan plantings stand out from the neighboring Zinfandel, Flame Tokay, Mission, etc. The old Carignan vines in the "Rauser Vineyard" and "Bishofberger Vineyard" are monovariety plantings.

RauserCarignanSteveFeltenJosephSmith.jpg

In Sonoma Valley, the "Bedrock Vineyard's" ancient Carignan vines resemble small trees...

FB_IMG_1539469796094.jpg

I find it fascinating how distinctly different some winegrapes appear in the field. :)

kyledorsey

#124 Post by kyledorsey »

Hi all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I was inspired to contribute to this thread because of a carignan-dominant wine that I had recently that tremendously impressed me.

The wine is 2016 Domaine de l'Horizon “L’Esprit de l’Horizon” Cotes Catalanes Rouge, 60%/40% Carignan/Syrah. This wine was bright, fresh, and energetic. Shaved cocoa and allspice on nose. Dark cherry, red plum, blood orange, and iodine on palate. Tons of minerals on finish, with a tangy acidic bite. Acidity is high, but there is ample fruit here to balance. I do recommend opening an hour or so before drinking or decanting as there is a little bit of reduction upon initial opening that quickly dissipated with air.
Last edited by kyledorsey on October 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Kravitz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#125 Post by Dan Kravitz »

Hello Kyle, and welcome,

Thanks for the note. I'm a board semi-regular. I'm ITB (in the business). I own a vineyard and Roussillon and import Roussillon wine from quite a few other producers.

I've never had this.

I've never heard of this.

If you happen to be
a) in the U.S., and
b) bought it here and have the bottle

please let me know who imports it.

Thank you.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

kyledorsey

#126 Post by kyledorsey »

It's a relatively new addition to the Rosenthal portfolio.

Drew Goin

#127 Post by Drew Goin »

kyledorsey wrote: October 14th, 2018, 4:59 pm Hi all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I was inspired to contribute to this thread because of a carignan-dominant wine that I had recently that tremendously impressed me.

The first is 2016 Domaine de l'Horizon “L’Esprit de l’Horizon” Cotes Catalanes Rouge, 60%/40% Carignan/Syrah. This wine was bright, fresh, and energetic. Shaved cocoa and allspice on nose. Dark cherry, red plum, blood orange, and iodine on palate. Tons of minerals on finish, with a tangy acidic bite. Acidity is high, but there is ample fruit here to balance. I do recommend opening an hour or so before drinking or decanting as there is a little bit of reduction upon initial opening that quickly dissipated with air.

Welcome Kyle!!! [berserker.gif]

I love hearing others profess their appreciation for Carignan[/i] (and Mourvèdre, but that's another thread)!!!

I found this on WineSearcher:
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/doma ... ouge/1/usa

There are a couple of online retailers offering the Domaine de l'HorizonL’Esprit de l’Horizon” Cotes Catalanes Rouge. The price is reasonable, to boot.

I recently have reached out to a few producers of Carignan-dominant wines from the Cotes Catalanes area of France, as well as other Rousillon sub-appellations. I hope to hear back from some of them soon.

Do you recall the other one/ones that have impressed you?

kyledorsey

#128 Post by kyledorsey »

It's a region that I am just beginning to explore myself. On the other side of the Spain/France border, I've been enjoying the clean and precise approach Dominik Huber has taken in Priorat with Terrior al Limit. Also formulated around old carignan vines with an eye toward freshness rather than power. The wines are still intense though, but more from complexity and clarity than from weight.

With you on the Mourvedre too! I have a bunch of Pradeaux stashed away for when it finally matures.

Drew Goin

#129 Post by Drew Goin »

The area where L'Horizon is located is familiar territory for Mr Kravitz...

From the winery website's "Calce" page:

"Located in Northern Catalonia on the hills behind Perpignan in Roussillon.

"The picturesque wine village has 200 inhabitants and about 400 ha in viticulture. Among five biological or bio-dynamic economy end wineries (Domaine Gauby, Domaine Matassa, Domaine Pithom and Domaine Padie).

"Even the Templars knew this particular location (843 under the name Calcenum first mentioned) in the 10th Century AD, the Château de Calce.

"20 miles away Golf de Lyon - the corner of the Mediterranean between France and Spain. In the Calos area, the 'Tramontane' from the Back-country and the 'Marin' from the sea.

"This ensures that there is no such thing as the "standing" heat, a not insignificant "freshness factor" for the wines of Calce. Calce has an average annual temperature of 3-4 ° C lower than Perpignan - which is a lot, and thus explains some of its special position. Many different soil types and structures are available here.

"Until 1914 there was an iron mine here.

"The diversity and structure of our soils can be explained by the last ice age, where the mass of the Pyrenees has (acid - slate) pressed against the limestone massif of Corbières and here in Calce is a "limit" of these "folds" and shifts.

"For geologists an exciting region.

"In the lower part against Perpignan (at Baixas adjacent) there are deep and serious aluvial gravel soils (Caillou roulé) with large river stones and clay / subsoil of limestone.

"In the hills, we mainly find lime and limestone - clay soils. This owes to the village its name.

"There is also an area of ​​about 30 hectares of iron-oxide -containing lime - clay soil, which reminds with its strong reddish color to areas in Rioja.Also lime marl is present on about 20 hectares in Calce.

"This gray - bluish platy limestone weathering soil produces extremely mineral and characterful wines.

"The on the coast (Collioure / Banyuls) common brown and black slate make a good part of the wine-growing areas of Calce.

"At the village square, the village pub 'Le Presbytere' invites visitors.

"In addition to good food, all Calce wines are in the restaurant to drink at reasonable prices and so to buy at farmgate prices"

Drew Goin

#130 Post by Drew Goin »

Here is an older article on Carignan that I recently found:

NY Times Diners Journal blog
"Give a Grape a Chance"
by Eric Asimoc
October 1, 2009

"...While carignan has indeed been much maligned, the more important point is that carignan has been much abused. It’s been grown and treated in such a way as to insure that it would make contemptible wines.

"But this doesn’t have to be the case at all. Last month, in my column on the wines of the Languedoc, many of my favorites were blends dominated by carignan. And since then, I’ve come upon a couple of examples of charming wines made with carignan, one after the other.

"...The point is that while carignan makes up more than its share of sneer-worthy wines, it also can make wines of great charm and flavor. All you have to do, as Joel Peterson told me, is plant them in the right soil, in the proper climate with good exposure to the sun, keep the yields down, and then wait 80 years for the vines to become old!"

The linked article, on the delicious wines of Southern France, is a good read, too!

Dan Kravitz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#131 Post by Dan Kravitz »

And a new one from France, from the heart of the Cotes du Rhone - Villages
2016 Le Carignan Domaine La Manarine - Very dark but not opaque. Aromas feature black plums and lots of garrigue, very Old World, or you could almost think Zinfandel. The palate is excellent, with a solid, burly texture that has no rough edges but plenty of muscle. The plums are there, along with faint well-integrated herbal hints and a black cherry note. This is mouth-filling without being heavy and the finish is reasonably long. Rated 91, very good value at twenty bucks.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Drew Goin

#132 Post by Drew Goin »

The wine blog from Mr Chuck Furuya of Girasole has some good entries addressing the wonders of Carignan/Carignane...

"A Taste Of Red Wines Produced From Rhone Varieties" (April 5, 2017):
http://chuckfuruya.com/wine/a-taste-of- ... varieties/

"...CARIGNANE–We are increasingly more & more intrigued with old vine Carignane & what it has to offer. It started way back when with Californian old vine bottling we discovered here & there over the years. We then became huge fans of bottlings back in the 1980’s we had from Domaine Fontsainte of Corbieres. In our continual search for noteworthy bottlings, here are 3 fabulous, interesting Carignane based red wines that will shed new light on what this grape variety has to offer."

Wines Tasted:

- 2015 NeyersSage Canyon Cuvee
(45% Carignan, 25% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, and 15% Syrah)

"I always refer to this very special & unique bottling as a homage to the wines of Maxime Magnon...Absolutely delicious!!!!!!"

- 2012 Leon Barral Faugères “Jadis
(50% Carignan, 30% Syrah, and 20% Grenache)

"...We love the deliciousness it brings to the otherwise wild, feral, intriguingly rustic, earthy, core of his wines..."

- 2014 Maxime MagnonRozeta
(Carignan, Grenache Gris, Macabou, and Terret)

"...While he produces a few different bottlings, his 'Rozeta' cuvee is typically our favorite, because of its wonderful perfume, vinosity & supreme deliciousness."

"Four Interesting Carignane-Based Wines" (April 4, 2014):
http://chuckfuruya.com/wine/4-interesti ... red-wines/

Drew Goin

#133 Post by Drew Goin »

From the most recent email I received from Relic Wine Cellars...

028ca6fc-b4c9-42a9-966a-6b00702df5b1.png

"TRIBUTE TO ALFRED FREDIANI
November 23, 1921 - October 18, 2018

"Dear ****,

"As a member of our extended Relic family, you likely know how much Alfred Frediani has meant to our lives and craft. It is truly difficult to overstate. He lived a long, fruitful life, and although we are devastated to lose him, his great spirit, warmth and sense of humor will always be with us.

"Many RELIC fans wondered why we haven't released our 2016 'Old Vines' Petite Sirah. Honestly, we aren't certain, other than we had a feeling that the timing wasn’t right. We opened a bottle the other day in remembrance of Al, and it was singing, so we decided then and there to commemorate Alfred’s life with a special release of his wines: the 2016 Petite Sirah, a vertical set of three years of Petite Sirah from our library and a Carignane-based tribute set.

"We hope you’ll enjoy these special celebrations and join us in toasting Alfred’s life and work!"

"...'Alfred Frediani Carignane Tribute Set':

"This 3-pack is dedicated to Al’s work, farming and preserving his 1901 plantings of Carignane. Each bottle shows a different expression of the varietal: destemmed 'Creek Block', whole cluster fermented 'Road Block' and 2015 'Ritual' (18% of the blend). One bottle each for $185. Limited to two sets per customer.

"These wines will ship in early December. Please let us know if you have any special shipping requests. Also, at this time of year, we are happy to include a personalized gift card in any shipments. Please contact us if you would like to discuss options."

From the Relic Cellars website's Shop:

"THE ARCHIVE - 2016 CARIGNANE

"The 'Archive' Carignane is now a staple of our lineup and huge fan favorite for lovers of spicy, rhone-style wines. As always, this comes from the 1901 plantings at Alfred Frediani’s vineyard and is fermented with 100% whole clusters, stomped by foot and aged in older French barrels. The 2016 was bottled a touch earlier than the 2015 and offers another level of aromatic freshness, as well as some of the broad textural appeal of the lush 2016 vintage. Aromatics of cherry, cranberry, red raspberry, thyme, white pepper, rosemary and clove lead to a lithe, focused palate with precise character and a long, floral finish. A tribute to the old days! 65 cases produced from two and a half barrels."

From the Relic Wine Cellars website "Vineyards" page:

"FREDIANI VINEYARD:

"Al Frediani's father bought this land, now prized for quality soils and climate, just after the beginning of the 20th Century, and Al has been living there ever since. The Carignane vines existed when Al’s father purchased the land, and Al estimates that they are 110 years old. Al planted the Petite Sirah blocks himself in the 1940s. The soils here, at the end of Pickett Road in Calistoga, are some of the most beautiful, rocky golden alluvial soils of volcanic origin in all of Napa Valley. The famous vineyard directly adjacent to the southwest has proven the quality of these soils to the public, but insiders and intelligent winemakers have been crowing about the quality of Al’s site for decades. Now, it’s our turn! Starting in 2009, the Petite Sirah and Carignane wines make up a large portion of Ritual, and in 2010, we began making a vineyard designate Petite Sirah."

Relic Wine Cellars website:
http://www.relicwines.com/home

Drew Goin

#134 Post by Drew Goin »

Briscoe Bites
"Las Jaras Wines 2017 Carignan"
by Stacy B. Louise
October 9, 2018

"...About the Wine:

"The Las Jaras Wines 2017 Carignan is made from 100% Carignan grapes harvested from Gary Venturi’s vineyard in Mendocino County, California. According to winenaker Joel Burt, the vineyard is dry farmed and home to Yokayo series sandy loam soil, 'and when they are dry, it is like walking on the moon.'

"...Flavor Profile:

"...The palate of the Las Jaras Wines 2017 Carignan is bright, ripe, with clingy tannins. There’s a good, solid background of baking spices, but the forefront is all about that fresh fruit ripeness. Dominant flavors are of tart black plum, bramble, tart blackberries, and that aura of matchstick flint...."

Las-Jaras-2017-Carignan-e1537742462161.jpg

According to the review, winemaker Joel of Las Jaras had this to say about the grape:

"General thoughts on Carignan…Carignan is such an intriguing variety for us at Las Jaras. It is juicy, brambly and spicy when it is at its best. At its worst it is tannic, sour, and tastes like cabbage. It can also be quite difficult to grow. They are generally old vines that stand 7-8 feet tall and can be vigorous. The vine is extremely prone to powdery mildew infection, so it needs meticulous canopy management to avoid disaster. Site location is important for this variety to perform at its best. It needs to be on bench land, with properly draining sandy loam soils and a hot climate. This is because the acids can be absolutely searing on this variety, so you need to have it in a place where it can burn off some acid without over-ripening the fruit to get it into balance."

Las Jaras website:
https://lasjaraswines.com/

Drew Goin

#135 Post by Drew Goin »

Briscoe Bites
"Holly's Hill 2015 Estate Carignan"
by Stacy B. Louise
June 20, 2017

"...About the Wine:

"...Holly’s Hill estate vineyards sit at about 2700 feet, where the vines have the benefit of constant sunlight, meaning these traditionally bushy vines will be able to produce fully-ripened fruit.

"...Flavor Profile:

"...Pop the cork and there’s a faint aroma of withered black grapes on the verge of becoming raisins. On the pour, Holly’s Hill Carignane is a dusty fuchsia — there’s a bit of pink to the light-violet color. But the moment it settles into the glass, the wine becomes more serious with its faded maroon visual. Initial aromas are a mix between bright and dried fruits along with some dusty dirt and a thin line of acidity lingering in the back. Swirl, and the wine releases a floral aroma of deep red roses, milk chocolate, and, at the top of the glass, some greenery.

The wine has a solid grip on the palate, and though the acidity is bright, it’s that grip that stays with you. The primary flavors are of that rose bush sensed on the nose — almost as if you’re crunching on the flower petals while popping cranberries in your mouth. Let the wine linger, and that mix of fruit and floral create a dense candy-like taste and texture, reminiscent of black licorice. The finish, again, gets darker bringing to light bitter herbs (like arugula), roasted nut skins, and leaving your mouth coated with that solid grip of tannin...."

Hollys_Carignane-e1497222904240.jpg

Holly's Hill website:
http://www.hollyshill.com/

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Michael Martin »

Some of this just landed on my doorstep. Will report back soon.
http://westoftemperance.com/wp-content/ ... erance.pdf

Drew Goin

#137 Post by Drew Goin »

Michael Martin wrote: November 30th, 2018, 5:11 am Some of this just landed on my doorstep. Will report back soon.
http://westoftemperance.com/wp-content/ ... erance.pdf

Thanks for the update, Michael!!

I am curious how your tasting experience turns out with West of Temperance's "Poor Ranch" Carignan. :)

If anyone is interested in a long, detailed paper on the history of the "Poor Ranch", please let me know. I will have to email you a copy that was provided to me by the Rivens of The Princess & The Peasant.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Howard Cooper »

Dan Kravitz wrote: May 10th, 2018, 6:20 pm OK, so a lot of comments, but here's THE question:

Please list every great wine you have had that is mostly or wholly made from Carignan. Obviously definitions of 'great' will vary, but just list whatever is great to you.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Kravitz

I have not had a wine from Carignan that I consider great. But, I have had a couple of very good Carignans, including one from Ridge. Most recently, I had a Carignan in Israel from a winery named Somek (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=155933&p=2635166#p2635166 ) that was very pleasant and as good a Carignan as I have had.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Drew Goin

#139 Post by Drew Goin »

I need a little bit of help clarifying the identity of a handful of Carignan vineyards in Sonoma County. The fact that there are (at least) 3 old-vine Carignan plantings in the Alexander Valley area led me to jumble the identities of the "Stone Ranch", "Cooley Ranch", and the "Oat Valley Vineyards".

My primary reason for this post is out of concern for the news that the "Stone Ranch" has been uprooted. I would like to confirm whether the one mentioned by Mayo Family Winery is the same place as the planting of Carignan used by other vintners in prior vintages.

EveryVine profiles:

"Oat Valley Vineyards"
"Stone Ranch"
• No information is available on this site for the "Cooley Ranch"

harvest-sunrise-in-oat-valley-vineyard-2014.png

From the Mayo Family Winery website:

"2014 Carignane, 'Stone Ranch Vineyard'

"...The vineyard was planted over 85 years ago and this is unfortunately the last vintage as the vines were ripped out after the 2014 harvest...."

Alexander Valley Winegrowers profile for "Stone Ranch":

"'Stone Ranch'

"Jim Furlong
18955 Independence Lane
Geyserville, CA 95441
Varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Pette Sirah, Chardonnay"

The "Stone Ranch Vineyard" has been a source of grapes for numerous wineries over the years. I am including some of the things shared by those producers...

Mazzocco Sonoma website: "Our Story - Vineyards"

"'Stone Ranch', one of Mazzocco’s pioneer vineyards, is located in the Alexander Valley off Independence Lane near Highway 101. Our long-term relationship with this vineyard and the vineyard manager allows us to have input into the viticultural practices, as well as deciding when our fruit is picked. These are key elements in assuring the ongoing quality of our wines.

"Currently, this is our only Zinfandel grown in the Alexander Valley. Since most of our Zins are produced from Dry Creek Valley grapes, the 'Stone Ranch' Zinfandel offers us the opportunity to educate tasting room visitors on how aromas and flavors of the same varietal differ between Dry Creek and Alexander Valleys, and the influence terroir has on each wine."

4488: A Ridge Vineyards Blog
"2002 Stone Ranch: New Tasting Notes For A Vintage Wine!"
October 12, 2009

"...The 'Stone Ranch' vineyards are located on the western edge of Alexander Valley, near the Geyserville vineyards, and are surrounded by river rocks tilled from the soil over many years. It’s a warm day-cool night microclimate, with very gravelly soil, and the zinfandel vines there were planted in 1988 and 1994...."

"Cooley Ranch":

SF Examiner
"New Generation Reviving Longstanding Carignan in California"
by Pamela S. Busch
August 8, 2014

"...Kivelstadt 'Cooley Ranch' Carignane, 'Old Wyve’s Tale', 2012 (Alexander Valley) Made from a 140-year-old, dry-farmed vineyard, this is an unassuming yet thoroughly enjoyable wine with cherries, vanilla and a hint of bacon fat."

From Kivelstadt's data sheet for the 2016 "Old Wyve's Tale" Carignane:

"...'Cooley Ranch' is located at the northern tip of Alexander Valley, just north of the town of Cloverdale. The Cole clay loam series soils are deep soils formed in recent alluvial sediments. These past riverbeds are slowly permeable soils with good native fertility...."

1469251.jpg

Oat Valley Vineyards":

Carol Shelton Wines' website has a profile for its source of Carignan fruit:

"'Oat Valley Vineyard'

"This stunning vineyard in Alexander Valley was planted sometime around 1890 and has been farmed by generations of Domenichlli in coordination with the Cooley family. Gnarly old vines are sustainable dry farmed and produce fruit of distinction and character. Carol receives just 3 acres of their stunning old vine Carignane to make her single vineyard designate Carignane.

"Grower Farmed by Brett Domenichlli & owned by the Cooley Family
Elevation 360 feet
Soil Type Clay Loam
Appellation Alexander Valley
Varietals Carignane, also Cabernet Sauvignon & Zinfandel
Year Planted Carignane is unknown, but close to 1890
Acres Planted 170 acre property, 65 planted to vines..."

Is "Oat Valley Vineyards" the same place as the "Cooley Ranch"?

1995-Carignan-Oat-Valley.jpg

From the Broc Cellars 2013 "Carbonic Carignan" tech sheet:

"Having saved a remarkable, exquisitely ancient vineyard from imminent 'Cabernetification', we continue to nurture its 130+ year old vines capturing a character unfound in mere 120-year-old vineyards. An original field-planted block, these Carignan plants are interspersed with Palomino (white variety from Jerez) and Alicante (a rare black-fruited vine that produces some of the darkest juice on the planet). Its decomposed sandy soils make it impossible for the vine-pest phylloxera to survive, leaving these some of the last remaining self-rooted vines in the state."

Broc Cellars' website states that the "Oat Valley Vineyard" is the fruit source for its 2016 Alexander Valley Reserve Carignan.

SF Gate
"Carignane Gets a Shot at Respect - Quietly"
by Jon Bonné
August 1, 2010

"...Chris Brockway of Broc Cellars in Berkeley found a similar tale with an Alexander Valley vineyard near Cloverdale. Though its Carignane vines, up to 120 years old, had been used by Ridge for its 'Oat Valley Vineyard' bottle, the fruit had few takers in recent years.

"'I think I was at the end of a string of people they talked to, to see if I was interested,' he says. 'They were considering pulling out this vineyard and planting Cabernet.'..."

It appears that the "Oak Valley Vineyard(s)" is the same location as the "Stone Ranch"...or is it???

Are all 3 vineyards the same place? Why are the "Oat Valley Vineyard" and the "Stone Ranch" listed separately on EveryVine?

Which vineyard was uprooted, and which still exists?

Drew Goin

#140 Post by Drew Goin »

I would like to extend a big thank you to Mr Gideon Beinstock of Clos Saron for his contribution to the "Carignan Renaissance Part Deux" thread!

Front-35KB.jpg

Here are my questions, each followed with his response...

• What special factors in geology, climate, etc, do you find help make Carignan a viable grape for your fruit source's area?

GB: "Decomposed Granite - not the best of all options, but pretty good. In our case, the age of the vines play a more significant role in the quality."

• Do you believe that old-vine Carignan is necessary for the production of top-quality fruit, or can younger vines also yield superior wines?

GB: "I don’t have experience with young vine C. but based on the inside knowledge of people who work with this variety in southern France, their notion is that you need (1) hills, rocky slopes and (2) older vines to get something special from this variety."

• From where does Clos Saron's Carignan fruit come? I have read that the grapes for "A Pleasant Peasant" is from the Sierra Foothills, from Lodi, and from the generic "California" appellation. Internet posts on Clos Saron mention that the vineyard in question was planted in 1900. Can you please share the details about the location?

GB: "It’s in Lodi, not Sierra Foothills, and yes, planted in 1900."

•i Why do you believe that this particular region yields superior Carignan in contrast to other growing areas? Can you please share some details about how you came to work with the vineyard(s) used for "A Pleasant Peasant”?

GB: "It was planted by the same family who planted and still owns the Bechthold Field (they don’t farm it though), the source for the Cinsault for our 'Blue' series wines for a few years. I wanted to find out what the original wine would have been like when they originally farmed both vineyards and made them into one wine. Our first vintage of the Carignan was 2014 and that year, in addition to making the 'Pleasant Peasant', we also made a co-fermented half/half blend with the Cinsault, which we called 'Blue Cheer'. An additional Carignan-based blend we made (and is still current release) is the 2015 'Kind of Blue', in which the Carignan is the major component, co-fermented with 'Renaissance' Syrah and Cab Sauvignon (Sierra Foothills)."

• Why do you think Carignan commonly proves to be more challenging to farm and produce than many other red grape varieties?

GB: "I don’t think it is. It simply does not do well with over fertile soils, over-production, or over-watering. But there are many varieties that don’t do well under such conditions."

Gideon-on-Cab2.jpg

• Have you noticed any special qualities unique to your finished Carignan bottling compared with Carignan wines from elsewhere?

GB: "Ours tends to be very distinctive. Is this different than any other? I leave it to the consumers to determine."

• What special considerations or challenges have you discovered in making a Carignan-dominant wine?

GB: "None, really."

• What thoughts do you have regarding the recent increase in the public's general awareness of Carignan's potential to create delicious varietal wines?

GB: "It’s refreshing to be in the alternative universe, beyond Cabernet and Chardonnay… but I think now the pendulum has swung too far over to the other side, the 'cool' varieties side, and people miss out on the 'old, boring' varieties. Great wine can be make from many, many different varieties."

• What is your favorite Carignan-dominant wine to drink? Please elaborate.

GB: "I’m fairly isolated from the goings on of the retail wine world… by now consuming mainly wines i made locally a couple of decades ago. So, I’m afraid I don’t have much to contribute there. At the time when I was still exploring more, I liked Domaine Gauby and Jean Pillippe Padié’s work with this variety."

Clos Saron website:
https://clossaron.com

Drew Goin

#141 Post by Drew Goin »

Here is a fascinating, if very detailed, exploration of the unique characteristics inherent in specific Chilean Carignan-growing regions:

American Journal of Enology and Viticulture
"Location Effects on the Aromatic Composition of Monovarietal cv. Carignan Wines"
by Cristina Úbeda, Rubén del Barrio-Galán, Álvaro Peña-Neira, Marcela Medel-Marabolí, Enrique Durán-Guerrero
July 2017
AJEV 68: 390-399
March 23, 2017

"The aromatic profile of monovarietal Carignan wine has been characterized, and the influence of the geographic origin of the wine on the volatile composition wines from six different zones of Chile and from two different seasons has been studied.

F1.medium.gif

"...Analysis of variance showed significant effects on the 'location' factor (p < 0.05), which was corroborated by principal component analysis and linear discriminant analysis, where clear groups were observed regarding wine production area.

F6.medium.gif

"The geographical origin of the wine affected the volatile composition of the wines studied, and production areas that were closer to the Andes Mountains showed lower concentrations of esters and acids than those wines produced in regions that were closer to the ocean."

Drew Goin

#142 Post by Drew Goin »

Borra Vineyards is no more.

In an email received the other day, Borra's winemaker Markus Niggli announced that his eponymous project is up and running:

"...Though the Borra winery is now shut down indefinitely, the Borra family has enabled our new winery, Markus Wine Co., to start up and move to a new location in the 'hamlet' of Victor, just east of Lodi...."

MarkusStaff-20180821-600x371.jpg

"Domo", Mr Niggli's old-vine Lodi Carignan, was launched with the 2015 vintage. The 2016 bottling currently is available at the Markus Wine website:

"Markus 'Domo' 2016 Carignane Lodi

"91 points, Wine Enthusiast

"'Spenker Ranch' Block 4, Planted 1900: 90% Carignane

"'Borra Vineyards Gill Creek Ranch', Planted 2001: 10% Petite Sirah

"Our bottling from ancient vines at Lodi’s 'Spenker Ranch' Block 4, planted way back in 1900, is red-fruit-focused: cranberries, plums, cherries and raspberries with potpourri and complexifying wet earth. Though you can see your fingers through a full glass, the wine is weighty and dry, and clean on the palate, with chalky smooth tannins. It is said within the industry that Carignane is the wine that winemakers reach for when they want something to drink for pure enjoyment, because the grape naturally retains a good deal of acidity even when fully ripe, working well with a wide range of uncomplicated foods from grilled salmon to a roast beef au jus sandwich. Get in your mind structured Pinot Noir or Cru Beaujolais, and this wine will grow on you."

The 2015 vintage Carignan was from a different source vineyard, and included a greater amount of Petite Sirah (as well as some Syrah):

› 75% Carignan - "Borra Vineyards Church Block"
› 15% Petite Sirah, 10% Syrah - "Borra Vineyards Gill Creek Ranch"

The "Church Block" is a fascinating field blend:

"... Next door to the home vineyard, a mixed bag of waist-high, gnarly, wizened, head trained Carignane and Alicante Bouschet 'bushes', originally planted around 1930 – so-called because up until recently (before being purchased by the Borras in 1995) it was owned by the local Catholic diocese, which seriously considered pulling up the vines and building a church."

- from "Mystery Wine for the Ages: the 2010 Borra Heritage Red", Lodi Wine blog, by Randy Caparoso (09/18/2012)

AR-180229999.jpg

TheRecord.Net
"From the Vine: Four New Wines are 'Tip of What This Region Has to Offer'"

by Bob Highfill
February 20, 2018

"...2015 'Domo' Lodi Carignane

"Lodi is home ('domo') to Niggli and his family. The label by artist Annerose Ross depicts a treasure map, as Niggli has explored Lodi's potential for new quality. The Carignane from Borra Vineyards' 'Church Block', planted in 1920, is red-fruit focused, especially in the tart plum and sour cherry spectrum, growing into a white pepper, savory, perhaps leather-like area. Borra's 'Gill Creek Ranch' provides the Petite Sirah and Syrah Clone 470. Don't let the lighter color belie the fact that this is a heavyweight made for a French dip or beef stew."

The source of the 2016 Markus "Domo" Carignan was the historic "Spenker Ranch's" Block 4: EveryVine profile

Lodi Winegrape Commission Blog
"Lodi’s Single-Vineyard Wines (Part 1: West Side Growths)"
by Randy Caparoso
August 7, 2018

"...Jessie’s Grove Estate Carignan and Tokay

• On the western edge of the 320-acre Jessie’s Grove property (a.k.a. Spenker Ranch, planted to 265 acres of wine grapes) – along DeVries Rd., is a small block own-rooted Carignan planted by Joseph Spenker in 1900, yielding the majority of fruit going into Jessie’s Grove’s perennially award winning 'Ancient Vine' Carignane."

Markus Niggli "Carignan Renaissance Part Deux" Q&A: Link

S. Rash

#143 Post by S. Rash »

Kokomo Winery in Dry Creek Valley makes an amazing Carignan!
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

Drew Goin

#144 Post by Drew Goin »

S. Rash wrote: February 24th, 2019, 11:16 am Kokomo Winery in Dry Creek Valley makes an amazing Carignan!

Thanks for the tip, S. Rash!!!

I will have to reach out to winery and share some questions with them. I always associated Kokomo with Zin...

Kokomo 2016 "Tollini Vineyard" Carignan Redwood Valley (sold out)

Drew Goin

#145 Post by Drew Goin »

Neyers has bottled an "Evangelho Vineyard" Contra Costa Carignan for several years. The current offering is the 2017 vintage:

Vintners Tales: Neyers Blog
"The World's Greatest Soup"
January 7, 2019

"...We bottled the 2017 Carignan in July, so I was eager to see how it was developing. Grapes for this wine come from vines more than 140 years-old. They are own-rooted – not grafted on to rootstock — as the soil is too sandy for Phylloxera to live. The crop yield is barely one ton per acre. Tadeo insists on crushing the grapes by foot – no mechanical crushing device is used – and the wine macerates on the skins for 35 to 40 days before we drain the tank and press the skins. It’s a strikingly attractive wine, with a bright ruby color, and an exotic aroma of tropical fruit, mineral and wild plum. Most importantly, it’s soft already, and just as easy to drink by the glass as by the bottle. The crop in 2017 was small, and from the five ton harvest we have barely 100 cases remaining. It’s going to be a favorite of mine for some time."

Vintners Tales: Neyers Blog
"Chuck Furuya Looks at Neyers 'Sage Canyon Red'"
January 8, 2019

"...We are currently offering the 2017 'Sage Canyon Red', a blend of 45% Carignan, 25% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre and 15% Syrah. It’s delicious with pot roast too...."

Furuya.jpg

Star Advertiser
"By the Glass: Here’s to a New Year of Finding Great Wine"

By Chuck Furuya
January 1, 2019

"...Carignan variety: First, consider wines produced from the carignan variety, a widely grown though relatively lesser-known grape. Most of these wines aren’t as showy or flamboyant as those produced from cabernet, syrah, malbec or grenache varieties. Still, carignan-based reds can be quite delicious, interesting and wonderfully food friendly. They are also reasonably priced...."

Carignan-based Wines Featured in Article:

Domaine Fontsainte Corbieres Rouge

Folk MachineLabor & Parts

NeyersSage Canyon Cuvee

Neyers Vineyards website:
https://www.neyersvineyards.com

S. Rash

#146 Post by S. Rash »

Drew Goin wrote: February 24th, 2019, 7:51 pm
S. Rash wrote: February 24th, 2019, 11:16 am Kokomo Winery in Dry Creek Valley makes an amazing Carignan!

Thanks for the tip, S. Rash!!!

I will have to reach out to winery and share some questions with them. I always associated Kokomo with Zin...

Kokomo 2016 "Tollini Vineyard" Carignan Redwood Valley (sold out)
The 2017 Carignan is part of their spring club shipment and should be available for purchase after March
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

Drew Goin

#147 Post by Drew Goin »

USDA NASS
"California Grape Acreage, 2017 Report"

Total Acres Planted to Carignane, 2016:

1.) Madera (1,233 acres)

2.) San Joaquin (369 acres)

3.) Mendocino (356 acres)

4.) Sonoma (181 acres)

5.) Fresno (129 acres)

6.) Contra Costa (61 acres)

7.) Merced (30 acres)

8.) Santa Clara (26 acres)

9.) Stanislaus (25 acres)

10.) Solano (19 acres)

11.) San Bernardino (18 acres)

Total Acreage for California, 2016: 2,500 acres

Source Link

https://fruitgrowersnews.com/news/usda- ... e-acreage/

USDA NASS California Grape Acreage Reports- Index 1970's-2017

Drew Goin

#148 Post by Drew Goin »

VIGNO YouTube video: "Chilean Wine Lovers Watch This!"

In the following article, the climate and geology of Chile's Maule Valley are explored in relation to Carignan grape cultivation. The author includes conversations with Fernando Almeda (Miguel Torres), Andrés Sánchez (Chairman of VIGNO), (vineyard manager at Odfjell Vineyards) Sebastián Bustamente, as well as Eduardo Jordán (De Martino).

Around the World in 80 Harvests Blog
"Carignan Profile: A Maligned Variety Making Waves in Maule"
by Helen J Conway
February 4, 2018

Bush-trained-vine-585x389.jpg

Interview by Amanda Barnes of Fernando Almeda from Miguel Torres:

De Martino website:
https://www.demartino.cl/mobile/

Odfjell Vineyards website:
http://odfjellvineyards.cl

Miguel Torres website:
https://www.migueltorres.cl/en/

VIGNO website:
http://www.vigno.org

Another article about VIGNO & Chile's Carignan:

Wine Anorak
"VIGNO: Old vine Carignan wine from Maule, Chile"

by Jamie Goode
January, 2012

Drew Goin

#149 Post by Drew Goin »

Miquel Hudin, who wrote a fairly comprehensive article in Decanter magazine on Carignan, has several posts on his blog dedicated to to Carignan wines from Spain and France.

Miquel Hudin blog
"'Carinyena', the Original Carignan Now Free to Be Itself"
by Miquel Hudin
November 29, 2018

"... I chatted with the DOQ Priorat president, Sal·lustià Álvarez and he summed it up as such, 'When we buy the vines, they’re called Carinyena. When we plant the vines and authorize vineyards, they’re called Carinyena. When we make the wines, all the paperwork says, Carinyena. But, when we go to label the wines, this name is forbidden.'..."

the-grape-768x465.jpg

Miquel Hudin blog
"The Grand Carignan Tasting"
by Miquel Hudin
August 1, 2018

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#150 Post by larry schaffer »

Drew Goin wrote: March 6th, 2019, 4:49 pm USDA NASS
"California Grape Acreage, 2017 Report"

Total Acres Planted to Carignane, 2016:

1.) Madera (1,233 acres)

2.) San Joaquin (369 acres)

3.) Mendocino (356 acres)

4.) Sonoma (181 acres)