TN: 2016 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Sonoma County

• 2016 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/2/2018)
    Day 1: Fruit forward but not a lot of heat which you typically find on under $25 zinfandel and sometimes over that mark. Bursting with blackberries, ripe plums, Bing cherries and smoke. Quite balanced and nice acidity. A solid effort. 91 points
    Day 2: Very similar to day 1 and has not lost any of the gorgeous fruit. Picks up some nice perfume qualities and subtle spices. This is a great barbeque wine. Still 91 points.
    Day 3: Still singing. Just a nice balanced wine which you don’t find often with Zinfandel at any price point. Back up the truck for a six pack for summer barbeques. 91 points.
    Recommendation: Drink right now on a pop and pour or cellar up to 3/5 years. Excellent value. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note! Got an emailer from my local retailer for $18.99 per. I’ll grab a few for fun summer drinking.

I’ve always found that these were much better after cellaring. With only one year in the cellar they improve quite a bit. I had to quit doing this when cellar room became an issue though. Cheers!

Thanks for the note John, It has been a while since I have bought any Seghesio but I was really fond of the '07 Sonoma bottling and drank through several cases of the wine. I think I may have seen this bottling at Costco here so I will try to pick up a few.

Another thanks. Picked up a couple last week on sale for $19.99. Always been one of my favorites.

Cheers,
Curt

Thanks for the tasting notes, John!

I think the last vintage I had of a Seghesio Zin was 2005(?). I was partial to the “Old Vines” and the “Cortina”. At some point, my taste for American Oak, and the locally inflated prices, drove me away from this producer.

I like this Zin. Nicely made.

YIYO, this is an over performer for us. We probably go through a couple cases annually, and at $17 a bottle when buying six bottles it is a no brainer.