TN: Two Etna Biancos...(short/boring)

Inspired by Asimov’s article and the release by KevinHarvey of the Rhys Carricante; I tried last night:

1. Murgo DOC: EtnaBianco (12.5%; 70% Carricante/30% Catarratto; NorthBerkeleyImports; www.Murgo.It) Emanuele Scammacca/Santa Venerina 2016: Light gold color w/ slight dissolved CO2; strong fragrant apple blossom/floral/mango some stony/mineral/saline/chalky attractive nose; rather soft/fat light floral/apple blossom bit prickly/CO2 some stony/chalky/saline bit simple flavor; short soft/fat nbit watery light stony/chalky light floral/apple blossom somewhat watery/vapid finish; a fairly attractive nose but hardly any impact on the palate; pleasant but just that; rather watery/vapid. $18.00 (KK)

1. Graci DOC: Etna Bianco (12.5%; 70% Carricante/30% Catarratto; www.Graci.Eu; MassanoisImports) Passopisciarol Castiglione di Sicilia 2016: Med.gold color; quite fragrant pear/apple/floral slight herbal/thyme light stony/saline rather attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy some rich/lush quite apple/pear/quince/floral slight metallic/stony/chalky quite attractive flavor; very long rather tart/tangy rich/lush/textured very apple/pear/quince some stony/saline mouth-quencing slight metallic/stony finish; much more character & interest than the Murgo; a quite savory/saline interesting Bianco. $27.50 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. The Graci was one of the three Asimov suggested to try. My take on it seemed rather similar to his. Not sure Carricante is the next big thing in my wine world but I’ll try a few more afore tossing the variety into my dustbin of history.
    Tom

Tom,
I would not advise using either of these wines as benchmarks of Carricante or its potential. Those varietal percentages are quite loose and it doesn’t take much Cataratto for the character of that (primarily table) grape to dominate the wine.
There are only a very small handful of whites from Etna that have enough Carricante to show the grapes real character.

A bottle of the 2016 Benanti Etna Bianco last week was quite nice, albeit not in the league of their Pietramarina. I think it is 100% Carricante although the vineyards are probably not in Milo.

-Al

Advice taken, Kevin.
Tom

Please send them my way Tom! Jokes aside, try I Vigneri’s wines before you throw in the towel. Terre Nere’s whites are remarkable as well.

I knew Tom would be on the mystery Carricante trail early!

I have noticed there is a wide price range from Carricante blends like Tom tasted (starting at less than $20) to 100% Carricante Etna Bianco Superiore (up to around $100).

Lots of clues and hints out there. I’m very much looking forward to tasting this myself!

I’ve had a number of EtnaBiancos over the yrs and none have particularly impressed me. But Asimov’s article and Kevin’s offer
has prompted me to consider Carricante as a variety I’ll partucularly like and focus a bit more on it.

Tomorrow night?? Four…count 'em…4 Timarassos…one of my favorite Piemonte white grapes.
Plus a Calif & Piemonte Freisa.
Tom

If you can find it, try Davide Bentivegnia’s Kaos IGT Terre Siciliane. Not sure why its an IGT and not Etna Bianco. Although its 70% Carricante, 30% Cattarato its quite a bit better than some of the others I’ve had. Price is solid at between $30 and $40 US.

Another recommendation if you can find it is Le Vigne de Eli’s base version . . .very decent for $20 as well. Believe this is another label from the Terre Nere folks. I definitely look for that saline character on the finish in carricante and this wine has it. Bring on the grilled seafood.

Tasted (rather had) an Etna Bianco by Tornatore (the some was super excited about it) at a Michelin star restaurant in Rome, lip-smacking wine. Sourced some in Rome and brought it back. Highly recommended, great producer of both whites and reds from Etna. Should be in low 20s if available in the US.

Graci etna blanco Arcuria is great.

I had the Pietradolce 2016 this weekend which was decent. 100% carricante, orchard fruit and salinity. Not profound but I was very satisfied for the $22 or so.

I think you’re too busy with other weird $hit, you should leave them alone. (I don’t think I’ve one that hasn’t impressed me yet. And that’s going back 11 years.)

Two reasonably priced carricante that I have quite enjoyed during the past year:

2016 Planeta Eruzione 1614
2015 Salvo Foti Aurora

I’d gladly rebuy these to drink now or cellar

Valenti’s Enrico IV bottling is also worth trying. It’s 100% carricante, from higher elevations. They’re a young operation with some really young vines, so I suspect that they’ll get better and better over time.

Here in the Midwest it is low- to mid-twenties, so it might be $20 or under on the coasts?

Disclaimer: I like and sell Graci, Terre Nere, Valenti and a couple others, but I don’t ship.

Next time you’re out here well do Etna Bianco for lunch. I think it’s one of Italy’s most interesting white wine types, and very ageable.

Tom,

I could swear you picked up at least the intro Benanti Etna Bianco from me at some point.

In my limited experience, I actually prefer it to the Pietramarina.

I had a second bottle of Pietradolce Etna Bianco this week. 100% Carricante, $18 at Winex. This was excellent. Good fruit, mineral, acids, spice, balance, good with food or alone.

I don’t really do this (I’m too much of a diversity guy), but I were one to do the multi case purchase as the house white, this would be a strong contender.