TN: 2014 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley)

• 2014 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (4/24/2018)
    Day 1: Medium purple. Bigger style wine. Nose of cherry, spice, menthol, cedar and mint. Palate is full of flavors including spice, cherry, plum, menthol and chocolate. Medium to long finish and absolutely brilliant wine. Normally I don’t like Andrew Will wines this young but this delivers. I look forward to the evolution over 3 days. 92 plus
    Day 2: Little more melow on the nose. Spices, cherry, menthol, cedar and floral notes. Similar on the palate and medium plus finish. Excellent value Cabernet and if it was from Napa $80 plus. 92 points plus.
    Day 3: Really singing on day 3 with menthol, cherry, plums, underbrush, cedar and dark chocolate. This is a very concentrated wine and powerful but not the oak monster that I have grown to hate! I see this wine aging for 10 plus years. 92 plus
    Recommendation: Hold for 5 years but if you drink now 3 hour plus decant. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice. I got 3 of these from Damn Paul. I’ll let them lie.

My first experience with this wine (I think it was a 2006 or an 07) was really good. I have been disappointed every vintage since then - just seemed monolithic and uninteresting - and I gave them plenty of air - and I wanted to like them. So disappointing over several vintages that I quit buying after a few years. I have a couple of 2010’s left, so I may let them sleep for a few more years before the last hurrah…

I have a ‘14 in the cellar. Thanks for the note!

My first experience with this wine (I think it was a 2006 or an 07) was really good. I have been disappointed every vintage since then - just seemed monolithic and uninteresting - and I gave them plenty of air - and I wanted to like them. So disappointing over several vintages that I quit buying after a few years. I have a couple of 2010’s left, so I may let them sleep for a few more years before the last hurrah…

I found the 2010 Will Two Blondes at a shop and it was drinking really well as it was stored poorly which I find sometimes accelerates the aging process.

2014 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (9/26/2018)
Day 1: Really nice fruit but not over the top and very little heat. Blueberries, plums, sour cherries, spices, oak and coffee beans. This is quite complex and tastes more like a $50 plus wine. Long finish! Could even get better on day 2 and 3. 92 points
Day 2: Not as good. Lost a lot of the pizazz of day 1. The fruit is not as vibrant and tastes very earth centric. I would not buy this wine on this showing but I would if you pop and pour and consume. 84 points
Day 3: Still lack luster.
Recommendation: Disregard the day 3 philosophy on this wine and drink day 1 on the pop and pour. (92 points)

Suprised how poorly this showed on day 2 and 3. Totally different experience than the last one but day one rocked!

You better be saving some good wine for me next time I come over. Don’t try to pour me some of the useless swill that you usually try to pawn off on me. neener

We’ve enjoyed a number of the Andrew Will Cabs and we discovered what you discovered. The wines are very, very good and have aging potential, but older wines unfinished day one will fade. We choose an Andrew Will Cab for dinner knowing we will finish the bottle. Love the notes. They are spot on.

John Glas wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 pm
2014 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (9/26/2018)
Day 1: Really nice fruit but not over the top and very little heat. Blueberries, plums, sour cherries, spices, oak and coffee beans. This is quite complex and tastes more like a $50 plus wine. Long finish! Could even get better on day 2 and 3. 92 points
Day 2: Not as good. Lost a lot of the pizazz of day 1. The fruit is not as vibrant and tastes very earth centric. I would not buy this wine on this showing but I would if you pop and pour and consume. 84 points
Day 3: Still lack luster.
Recommendation: Disregard the day 3 philosophy on this wine and drink day 1 on the pop and pour. (92 points)

Suprised how poorly this showed on day 2 and 3. Totally different experience than the last one but day one rocked!
You better be saving some good wine for me next time I come over. Don’t try to pour me some of the useless swill that you usually try to pawn off on me.

Your 50th is coming up quick. Post a bit more here and you might get something better in the mail! neener

We’ve enjoyed a number of the Andrew Will Cabs and we discovered what you discovered. The wines are very, very good and have aging potential, but older wines unfinished day one will fade. We choose an Andrew Will Cab for dinner knowing we will finish the bottle. Love the notes. They are spot on.

I just picked up the 2016 of this wine yesterday for $23.99. Great deal. 2016 looks good on paper.