• For consumers: Yes, it influences me positively to buy a wine
  • For consumers: No influence on wine buying
  • For consumers: If i see a medal/sticker i avoid it
  • For wineries: Yes it impacted sales positively
  • For wineries: No impact
  • For wineries: negative impact

0 voters

Hi Folks,

I work for an importer and i’m trying to figure out if we should push some of our agencies to enter their wines into the DWWA and their respective Asia Wine Awards (also trying to see what the difference in that is).

For you owners out there, have you found entering your wines make a difference in sales?

Thanks for any insight!

I would vote but the answer “I have no idea what are the awards” wasn’t an option.

LOL thinking the same thing

Decanter has very limited influence on the U.S. Wine Market but I can’t speak to it’s influence in Asia, Australia, NZ, Europe, etc.

Precisely. This is probably the wrong place to be asking the question. That is especially true since so many winemakers have disappeared. The few who still post probably have limited to zero exposure in Decanter’s markets.

Oh right - i forget how it’s still mostly Spectator, WA, and Vinous that rules the roost in the US.

These awards affect me to almost the exact extent those in flight magazines do with their “10 best steakhouses in America” articles.

If they are as influential as the Wine Spectator top
100 then I would save my money and just send all samples to A.So…they’re guaranteed at least 93 points

Never heard and frankly don’t care. Its as much as a value as Wine Spectators top 100.

Nice.

If it were that influential it would be a fantastic investment. The WS Top 100 moves a ton of wine

Oh right - i forget how it’s still mostly Spectator, WA, and Vinous that rules the roost in the US.

Not really. It’s points that moves wine, not scores, and points come from anywhere.

The WS top 100 has a huge effect on the top wine and also on the top ten. Prices increase considerably. WA used to matter, I don’t think it does these days. The NYT moves a lot of wine for a week until the next article. The rest are all trying but no one has a lot of influence except Suckling these days, especially on lower-end wines.

The medals and awards may help move product to a customer who’s already in a store and doesn’t know one wine from the next. It won’t get stores calling you to order the wine though. But sure, get the wineries to submit - any positive notes can be made into a shelf talker.

Im not in ITB and neither do I chase points…so its irrelavant for me!

Huh?

I got decanter for a few years. I think its a pretty solid mag…better than the US ones, IMHO. I find their tasting line up better with the AFWE than others magazine except maybe World of Fine Wine.

Its not the established regions that I find interesting about the awards. Its the fact that they get submissions from up and coming regions and provide exposure for wines, varieties, and regions that don’t get alot of widespread press.

So I voted for consumer: positive influence, but even within that option, there’s a wide spectrum.
Do I follow/subscribe Decanter? No.
Do I look up “Decanter award of the year” is and go seek out that wine? No.
Did I purchase a bottle of 2011 L’ecole 41 Ferguson Vineyard because I live in Washington state, and it was just right there on the shelf when I browsed my grocery store? I absolutely did. Wouldn’t have bought it if it weren’t for the Decanter recognition.
Did I purchase a bottle of 2001 Faustino I partially because it won the Decanter’s award and it was right there on the grocery store shelf? You bet your ass I did.

The WineBerserker group is NOT your majority wine consumer.
I still remember back in 2009 when the 2005 Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve ($27) won WS #1 in Top 100. It sold out immediately AFTER the announcement.

But the L’ecole and Faustino are the only 2 bottles I bought because of any magazine award.

Probably the same level of influence in England as you find with the Wine Spectator Top 100 wines of the year in America.

These wine competitions probably move wine or they would not exist. I have seen a number of Decanter World Wine Award wines lately and have purchased none. $15 and a top wine just doesn’t fit. I think Cellar Tracker notes move considerable more wine than a Decanter Award.

+1

That said, I would guess that a shelf-talker that said “Winner of the Decanter Wine Award for xxx” would probably influence some consumers.

If you are speaking of moving wine in the US wine geek community, then you might be right. Any other group, no way.