TN: 2013 Johan Vineyards Pinot Noir Nils Reserve (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 2013 Johan Vineyards Pinot Noir Nils Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/25/2018)
    Light salmon and translucent in the glass. If you are familiar with the baseline pinot descriptor I am about to give, you will understand this note very well. The earthy, mossy, decomposing log, savory funk… it is all over this wine. It is on the nose in a way that skews my usual notion of a citrus note. This is more of a yuzu note as it combines the citrus and funk qualities. That nose also has a lifted element, citrus blossom or otherwise, but it is there. On the palate this wine is about composition and tone. It is a light one and the palate is well in front of the mouthfeel. The earthy and savory is up front and as it crescendos the tangy berries of red cherry and cranberry start to fill in with a spritz of citrus peel. There is definite minerality and smokiness but the wine is lightly structured so they are complimentary but fleeting. The balance here is remarkable. A vintage and a wine with everything in its place and all it had to give. If you enjoy a light, pure, and refreshing pinot, this is for you. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds great. I have quite a few Johan whites, but need to procure some of the Pinot.

When 13’s were picked at the right time it wets my whistle.

Great note! I typically name that citrus note as tangerine.

I love where this wine is right now and it’s what I’m drinking while I wait a bit more for my 2010 and 11s.