TN: Mostly Northern Rhone Dinner with Sir Charles

MOSTLY NORTHERN RHONE DINNER WITH SIR CHARLES - Sole Ristorante Italianom, San Mateo (4/23/2018)

Our monthly peninsula dinner group was scheduled for last night. Just a group of simple guys, drinking simple wines with simple food. Then Charlie Fu decided to join us while on business in the Bay Area. Charlie brought in some special guests, and his usual contribution of amazing wines, challenging the rest of us to up our games to his level. I think we did a decent job. I missed tasting one or two wines.

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 161eme - France, Champagne
2005 base; beautiful, crisp fruit, turns mineral, with hints of peach pit, lively with tons of energy and verve. Outstanding. (93 pts.)

2004 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Côte-Rôtie Cuvée la Belle Hélène - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
George slow-ox’d this for 3 weeks ahead of the dinner. Medium darker strawberry red, with a bit of bricking; medium body, decent medium bright red fruit, mild tannins, strong tartness really dominates the fruit, lingering prominently on the finish. Later in the evening the tartness had faded a bit, but was still prominent. We all tried to remember the oak treatment on this wine, as I couldn’t really detect strong signs of new oak. Various sources suggest it is either 50% or 100% new, which probably depends on the vintage. (89 pts.)

1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
Very nice, beautifully resolved medium body red fruit, but shows a nice youthful character as well - like the old guy on the court who can still school the young guys every now and then; great acidity, fully resolved structure, I’d guess this isn’t going to improve, but will hang on nicely for many years. (92 pts.)

1998 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Charlie’s blind wine. On the nose slight earth, leather, touches of animal/horse; the palate is dominated by stems: underbrush, nettles, some backward medium cherry fruit, moderate slightly coarse structure. From the strongly rustic scrub underbrush nature, I guessed 1998 Levet. I think I’ve only had this wine once before, so not sure if this is representative of the wine. A little bit coarse and rustic for my tastes. (91 pts.)

2016 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
A blind wine from Charlie. Smells like a nice, young white burg, with some noticeable SO2 on the nose. Very nice crisp stone fruit, great acidity. I guessed a quality 15 St. Aubin. A terrific Chardonnay. (92 pts.)

2010 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Le Dolium - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Unicorn wine. Medium weight, gorgeous medium depth darker cherry, beautiful, elegant, some moderate fine structure on the finish, a more elegant and delicate Côte Rotie, drinking nicely despite its youth. (94 pts.)

2013 Ultramarine Blanc de Blancs Heintz Vineyard Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
This starts out promising, with bright, crisp fruit, but it fades quickly, missing some depth and length. I like the attempt, but there are too many excellent Champagnes at well below this price point. (88 pts.)

2015 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Yet another Charlie blind wine. Great perfume on the nose, beautiful darker fruit, with a nice bright streak; turns tannic on the finish, showing its youth. 2015 wasn’t hard to guess, but this is my first time with this producer. (93 pts.)

2015 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
And another Charlie blind wine. I knew there would probably be a 15 Levet in here, but this isn’t showing the rustic, animal, scrub brush that would normally be the signature tip off. There is dark, juicy fruit lurking here, but it is so grippingly tannic from start to finish that it’s hard to judge. Very, very tannic. So much so that I wonder if this is one of those wines that will ever shed its structure and let the fruit shine through.

1998 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
Quite rustic and tannic, there is some decent fruit underneath all the structure, but it’s hard to find. I guess exactly what you would expect from a Gouges of this era, and particularly a Gouges Les Saint Georges. Will another decade free the fruit? (89 pts.)

2006 Domaine Bizot Vosne-Romanée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
Beautiful, elegant, medium cherry, fabulous spice, nice overall balance. Maybe not overly complex, but a lovely, lovely burg. (92 pts.)

1997 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Another Charlie blind. Light spice and underbrush on the nose, then beautiful medium dark fruit, in the earthy cherry/raspberry spectrum, complex, elegant yet shows power, nicely resolved, would seem to be in a perfect drinking window. I first guessed this to be younger, then second guess got the 1997, but the elegance was tricky for me to place. (93 pts.)

2010 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
I get a bit of bacon, and some violet perfume on the nose, but it’s rather tight overall; deep, dark blackberry/pomegranate fruit, great (strong) structure, a hugely deep wine, but extremely primary, even one-dimensional and a bit grapey right now, quite structured. Don’t even think about touching this for at least a decade. (94 pts.)

2015 Bernard Boisson-Vadot Meursault Les Grands Charrons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
Fabulous medium rich fruit, nice acidity, with some good umami depth, lush, flavorful, warmth from the vintage, but great balance. Delish. (93 pts.)

2010 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas
Very pretty darker boysenberry/pomegranate fruit, fairly structure but quite drinkable now, more elegant and bright than the Allemand Reynard tasted along side. Needs time, but will be a beautifully elegant wine at its peak. (93 pts.)

2012 Marcassin Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
Nice, nondescript, somewhat ripe and fleshy Chard, decent balance, a slight sweet note on the finish. Very drinkable, but no tension, no particular complexity, and totally uninteresting. (90 pts.)

2012 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
Lovely medium depth red fruit, on the more elegant and feminine side of Cote Rotie, with touches of spice and dried herbs. There is beautiful fruit here, with a silk and suppleness of the warmer vintage. (92 pts.)

2007 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph Vieilles Vignes - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
Beautiful deep red fruit, vibrant, great acidity, good fine structure. Young but drinks wonderfully. Outstanding. (94 pts.)

2012 Sine Qua Non Grenache Rattrapante Eleven Confessions Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills
Distinctly ripe nose; very ripe, sweet, jammy, concentrated, smooth, polished, blackberry syrup. If you like this style, you’ll like this wine. I can only drink a couple of sips.

Alan,

I brought the 15 Levet so not really sure if this was blinded as I did not put this in a paper bag.

The Walter Scott was a great blind by Charlie, really thought it was a Roulot. I also brought the Boisson Vadot but the prices for that is just getting ridiculous so I was glad to discover the Walter.

Dolium was the WOTN for me but almost everything was crazy good.

Thanks for the notes.

Oops! My bad. Finally, a wine Charlie didn’t bring :wink: I guess we didn’t do that one blind, did we? Somehow I had written “blind” in my notes. I really should have been able to guess it, lol.

What an excellent line-up, and your notes - as always - capture the essence of these wines so well. Looking forward to finally trying that Xavier, should be coming in this week thanks to a mutual friend.

Seems like the 98 Jamet didn’t show up for you guys, it’s much much better when “on”.

I thought the 98 Jamet was typical of the wine. A little stinkier than the best bottles but still very good.

That Xavier Gerard was so damn good. Your package is coming next week cause i forgot :frowning:.

Is this a typo/joke, etc: “George slow-ox’d this for 3 weeks ahead of the dinner.”

3 WEEKS?

How, where, why does one do that?

Alan is probably still hungover. I believe it was 3 hours.

George’s gravitational field is such that he can slow-ox a wine for three weeks in one of our afternoons.

Typo. It should say “slow ox’d” not “slow-ox’d”

Thanks for the notes. On the back of recommendation from a merchant, I actually picked up some ‘15 Xavier Gerard Cote Rotie without ever tasted any wine from this producer, great it’s showing well.

was there any wood left poking out on that bizot? had the 2006 les jachees and felt the wine was fully mature but there was still quite a bit oak drying out the finish. the oak regiment is far more refined in recents vintages.

i also had the 2015 vadot grands charrons a few weeks ago and it was perhaps the best i have tasted for this domaine. the acidity was especially surprising.

Great notes.

I about fell out of my chair when I read about a three week slow ox. That’s also known as making vinegar or just “murdering” the integrity of a wine. 3 hours makes much more sense.

The 2012 Marcassin tasting note cracked me up. Alan’s note doesn’t give quite the same picture as:

Beautiful orange marmalade notes, mixed with apple blossom, pear and white peach are present in the 2012 Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard, which has caramelized citrus as well. Like some of the great vintages of Marcassin Chardonnay and others, there is a greenish hue to the light-gold color. The wine is intense, full-bodied and comes across like a great Bâtard-Montrachet such as the heroic 1985 and 1986 from Michel Niellon. Smoky hazelnuts emerge as the wine sits in the glass. This seems to be a great effort in this vintage.

or

The 2012 Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard, which will probably be released in a few months, displays great minerality, notes of honeysuckle, orange marmalade, poached pear, and white flowers as well as a touch of quince. A wine of great intensity, yet incredibly ethereal elegance, this light greenish gold-colored wine is full-bodied, stunningly rich, and altogether remarkable.

Alan and Bob Parker seem to disagree on the points, too! By, say, 9-10.

The first may have been true. The second was my homage to “93 points” (and my little poke at the notion of slow ox). I’m angling for my own poll.

And I really didn’t thank Charlie, and Daniel Kim enough for their amazing generosity in opening and sharing some real unicorn wines. And everyone else who brought fabulous wines as well!

oak wise it was pretty well resolved. Could still use quite a bit of time but was nice and juicy

August gathering indeed.

Thanks for the nice notes Alan.
When I posted on a Big Table Farm Chard a couple weeks back, Dale told me to check out Walter Scott.
Sounds like I really need to do that.
Thanks.

I brought the forgotten red headed step child…
1996 Leclerc Griotte

Dan, I’m embarrassed to say I never even saw that bottle! Really apologize, as I would have loved to try it. Anyone have a note?

It was in front of you for about 2 hours of the dinner. lol!

Iknowright?!!

Personally, I thought it was elegant and polished, and incredibly well balanced.
After the initial funk blew off, it had plenty of life and just got better as the night went on.
Granted, it stood in the shadows of the powerhouses…but I thought it was lovely.

George thought it was sexy. But then he thinks a folded napkin is sexy…