Fantes Champagne Stopper

Has anyone used this / have any thoughts on it?

https://www.amazon.com/Fantes-Champagne-Stopper-Italian-Original/dp/B0042KX7MC/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B0042KX7MC&linkCode=w61&imprToken=C5SNh3xZwozDFyPT3JEVWA&slotNum=7&ascsubtag=[]st[p]cjg6tzuk60043nsy67xuk1fpk[i]TSmZ10&tag=thestrategistsite-20

I own a Pungo, that I really like, but I don’t think it works for champagne.

We use one that looks like this. Works extremely well

We use these. No problems so far.

Why would you have a champagne leftover? [shock.gif]

On a serious note, I have a simple rubber stopper (somewhat similar to the outset) I got as a present in a winery visit once. It works perfectly for the day or two needed.

Yes, they are great

Wow - lots of options.

Would love to always finish the bottle but not realistic for me. Can’t believe I never heard of any of these, will be buying some immediately.

I’ve used a slightly different type (https://www.amazon.com/Champagne-Stopper-Pumpable-Increase-Sparkling/dp/B01N499HFG/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1524681639&sr=1-2&keywords=champagne+stoppers+with+vacuum) that has a similar closure but also lets you pump a little extra air in to repressurize the bottle. I can’t tell whether pumping affects oxidation, but it does seem to slow the degasification of the wine, particularly with a bottle that is only half-empty or so (so there are more bubbles left on day 2).

– Matt

I use the fantes as my usual, it works great.

Why would the fantes at $12 or the westmark at $18 be better than 2 of these at $5? I know people that have used these for years with no issue.

It was $6.25 shipped when I got mine.

I just use a regular cork. Once the original cork is out, and a lot of the pressure is released, I’ve found that a reasonably snug regular cork works just fine.

Another type. I use it for all wine, sparkling or otherwise.

Although I’ve had decent success with normal wine stoppers, picked up a fantes. On day 2, my Schramsberg still had plenty of life and bubbles. I was worried it wouldn’t work but when I removed the fantes on day 2, there was the distinguishable ‘pop’. Being that I don’t plan on ever having a bottle opened for more than 2 days before finishing, this was a sound $8 purchase

Pressurizing with air doesn’t help very much, because the CO2 will bubble out until it establishes an equilibrium between the Champagne and the head space (vapor pressure of dissolved CO2 matches the partial pressure in the head space). That equilibrium doesn’t depend on the pressure of the other gases in the head space. Air is 3-4% CO2, so pumping it into the head space only helps a tiny amount. Pumping in pure CO2 would help, but would need to be 4-6 atmospheres to match the dissolved CO2.

I have a couple of the models shown and they work pretty well, although the bubbles do decrease. A Champagne loving acquaintance of mine hates using them because she values the bubbles. To me, it’s more about the nose and taste so they work well for me.

-Al