TN: 2016 Walter Scott Chardonnay X-Novo Vineyard "de Pobega"

Okay, to be 100% accurate, not the “full Pobega” - I didn’t have my corkscrew ready when the FedEX guy dropped this off yesterday. But delivered yesterday and opened today, so a “same weekend” Pobega ;^)

Yellow-green in the glass, with a crisp, focused, minerally sea-breeze scent that reminds me of Chablis. Love the nose here.

Taut, with great supporting acidity, on the palate - like biting in to a crisp Granny Smith apple. And as the wine opens, the nose is starting to manifest that matchstick note that I often get with Goodfellow’s Richard’s Cuvee.

Simply delicious - and I’m sure this will age, but off this bottle (my first time trying a WS Chard from the X Novo vineyard), I have doubts if any of my bottles will last long enough to find out ;^)

Posted from CellarTracker

I love this bottling. I have not had too many 2016 Chardonnay yet, so this tasting note might get me started.

Had the 16 Anne cuvée last month. Beautiful wine. Balanced and feather weight on the palate. Went back and grabbed another mixed case.

Love all their Chardonnays, but X-Novo may be my favorite. Tried this in February at a tasting and it was singing.

We distribute WS in Washington and had Ken up for a visit this week, the wines showed extremely well and this was the first Chardonnay to sell out at each of the events.

I also worked harvest in 16’ and helped ‘pick’ this wine (which meant I helped empty buckets in bins while the real professionals did the work, the pick itself was comical as it involved a little dirty laundry, a stuck apple picker and an intern by the name of Antoine who’s family owns Montus, saving the day.) the point I’m getting to is that above what Ken does in the cellar I think his real strength is ‘calling the pick’…

You only get one shot each Vintage at each vineyard site and you gotta have cohones and experience to know when the vineyard is where you think it’s optimal and will translate into the wines you want to make.

Not only is Ken a talented winemaker but one of the nicest and most gracious people you will meet.

Just drank the X-Novo last night, blinded it on a bunch of people. At least two of them immediately emailed the winery asking for a full case. This wine is legit. All their chardonnay is legit. They are so different from each other as well.

Couldn’t agree more. Love the X-Novo Chard and excited to see what Craig Williams has up his sleeve with the Pinot planted there. So interesting that after working so long with, and perfecting, Napa Cab at Joseph Phelps he planted his own vineyard with Chardonnay and Pinot and so far hasn’t skipped a beat. (Although I’m selfishly hoping he starts growing Cabernet too as I love his Cab wines and seek out older Phelps when I can get my hands on them!)

Try to find their 2016 Bunker Hill Chardonnay. You’ll be glad you did.

1 Like

Brian bought it all and he sold out to his list already. Sigh.

who is Brian and why is Fu drinking domestic? I am so confused.

He’s referring to master somm Brian McClintic and his wine club Viticole. Several months ago Brian announced the 2016 Walter Scott Bunker Hill Chardonnay which was quickly sold out to the wine club. While this Chardonnay is indeed sold out not all went to Brian’s club.

1 Like

So Brian buys and flips wines en masse?

No. He met with the winery and they struck a deal. Nothing shady. Good friends.

You should try the chardonnay from this producer. Really amazing quality at the price. Steve bought a bunch after I tasted him on their lower level blended bottling last month.

I would echo Charlie’s recommendation more broadly - with the caveat that I’m only scratching the surface and I’m sure guys more experienced (like Rich Trimpi or Scott Tallman) would have a much longer list of producers, the recent Chardonnays I’ve had from folks like Walter Scott, Goodfellow and Crowley are some of the best non-Burgundian Chardonnays that I’ve had recently from an overall quality perspective, and if you add in their price tag, at least in my mind, they become “lay-up” purchases from a QPR standpoint.

Good to see that you guys finally have a clue. We’re drinking our 2012s & 2013s up here. As Bob says, there are a number of newer producers (Eyrie, Brick House, and Cameron are givens) up here doing great things with Chardonnay. Flaneur, Evening Land, and Brittan are all making interesting Chardonnays as well.

Yes, Eyrie and Cameron for sure, just haven’t tasted enough of Doug’s Chard to judge. Also a plug for Jay Somer’s Chard, stainless ferment without malo. Clean, pretty, pure and a fine QPR.

RT

Currently enjoying 14 Yamhill Valley Vineyards Chard. Dijon clones 76 and 95, unoaked.

All excellent choices and at the top of my list for annual purchases, but if you want the low down on OR Chard, listen to Rick Allen. He’s the guru!

I did enjoy the Flaneur Chards and they produce an X-Novo too. One producer not discussed much is Bachelder. His OR Chards are nice, but not easy to find, even in OR.

Charlie brought this last Monday, ordered a few next day. Reminded me of Roulot with as dash of PYCM.

As I just said in Alan Rath’s thread, people keep telling me to try these wines.
Looks like I’m going to have to do that soon.