TN: 2015 Julien Cecillon St. Joseph Babylone (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph)

I first learned about Cave Julien Cécillon in January 2017 when coming across their Saint-Péray when visiting the region. It took me long enough to pop a bottle of their Saint-Joseph but here we are. This is of course very primary and fruit-forward still and I really need to try a cooler vintage before making any generalizations about the style but I have a feeling we have another winner here. Generally I prefer the 12.5% ABV Syrahs but this wine handles its 13.5% really well - there is a ton of tasty dark fruit but the super fine tannins render the finish very pleasantly dry and refreshing. In it I see both some of the joie de vivre of Dard & Ribo and some of the structure of Gonon, what a nice combination!

The grapes come from 25-year old vines in Saint Jean de Muzols and 115-year old vines in Tournon. 25% whole bunch, 75% destemmed maceration and crushing in open tanks (wood and stainless.) 17 months aging in 5-6 year old barrels.

• 2015 Julien Cecillon St. Joseph Babylone - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (22.4.2018)
    There is no avoiding the solar character of the vintage but alongside the deep, ripe blackberry-laden fruit you have attractive notes of smoke, black pepper and minerals all over the nose. Really expressive and authentic aromatically, this has me already convinced before tasting it! On the palate juicy and chewy as hell. Awesome tannic grip - this comes off fairly serious while possessing great freshness and drinkability. So approachable right now that I have no idea about its ageing curve. A really superb St. Joseph for the money.

Posted from CellarTracker

Never heard of this producer …thanx for the note, sounds tasty

Just thought I’d post my note on the 2017 here. I really liked it.

2017 Julien Cecillon St. Joseph Babylone (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph) - 9/28/2020
A newish producer, and very new to me - this is my first go-round with Cécillon’s wines. According to the importer (Paris Wine Company), this comes from vines from the 1990s and 1900s (!), planted in granite and decomposed granite, élevage 18 months in mostly 1-6 year barrels and 10% new, 50% whole cluster.

Impressive Saint-Joseph. Dark color, dark tarry nose, savory roasted meats, stemmy green notes, loaminess, and with swirling a substrate of blackberry fruit becomes apparent. The nose is just textbook St.-Jo, deep and pungent. On the palate this is bright and tart with a citric edge, classically briny and savory, bitter bark. There’s a sense of elegance and refinement, the flavors are direct and very clear. This is the real deal. Not especially tannic, nicely balanced with a juicy sensation, thought not especially fruity.

I’d buy more. I snagged a bottle of Cécillon’s Cornas and will give that a try sometime soon.

Thanks, all, for the notes.

Never had, but now on the radar.

Cool, thanks for the note. In my books this is one of the most promising up-and-comers in the Northern Rhône. Haven’t had the Cornas from bottle yet but when it comes to Saint Joseph and Crozes Hermitage this is without a doubt a very good address.

I opened my bottle of 2017 Julien Cecillon Cornas Saint Pierre last night. This is very fine Cornas. Big floral and stony nose with lurking deep blue-black fruit with a salty/briny edge, very aromatic. With air and some swirling the palate follows the nose, with semi-juicy fruit and a superb savory fade that ends on an emphatic mineral note. Just a light sense of new oak - the wine sees a bit of new oak. It wasn’t cheap at $75 but it drinks as well as other Cornas at that price level (like Gilles or Balthazar). I am impressed and will look for more for the cellar.

Just checked the importer’s website and the Cornas comes from vines planted in 1994, planted in granite at the top of the village of Cornas, 10% whole cluster, aged 18 months in new and used oak.

A great note, thanks. I’ll try it if offered.

A few months ago :

Julien Cécillon syrah les graviers 2019 : 15/20
Le St-Joseph n’étant plus disponible, je me suis rabattu sur cette bonne syrah.

Julien Cécillon gamay la savane 2018 : 15,5/16
Très beaujolais, élégance bourguignonne d’un Fleurie.

Nancy Kerschen (with Julien Cécillon) Vin de France L’étrangère N°7 syrah 2018 : 15,5/20

Julien Cécillon’s sister produces a hig quality cider :
Cidre, Johanna Cécillon, demi-sec Nantosuelta 2016 (report by my friend Guillaume Deschepper)
Une diagonale d’Hexagone nous amène dans les Côtes d’Armor, pour un cidre demi-sec proposé, accord de fort bon aloi, sur un camembert au lait cru de Xavier merveilleusement affiné. D’un jaune soutenu, il développe de profondes odeurs organiques d’étable et de peausserie, une réelle densité de goût autour d’un équilibre juste d’amers et de sucre.