Buying futures

Last year about this time, I bit on a 6 pack of Malescot St-Exupéry 2016 from K&L. Was expecting a possible year wait. It looks like the wine won’t be released until late 2019. Is this normal? I am usually one for immediate gratification and I thought I would getting them in a year not closer to 3. I guess I should have read the fine print.

Yes it is normal. 2015 Bordeaux are still coming in throughout this year. So naturally, 2016s will be coming in the following year.

It’s reaching a point with some wines that if you don’t buy them on pre-arrival you won’t be able to get them when they’re delivered (probably not Bordeaux…but certainly some Barolo, Barbaresco, and Burgundy).

My first time buying futures so i didn’t know what to expect. Ah well, patience is a virtue I guess.

Most anything I’m buying futures on shouldn’t be opened for at least 10 to 15 years–so just look at it as free offsite storage.

Yes, completely normal…the last of my 2014’s arrived a last month.

3 years after vintage sounds about right. And if you need instant gratification for wine, perhaps futures aren’t the way to go?

Still waiting on some 2014s

+1. In a year I expect complaints that the wine is too young.

I can’t believe no one has made a Premier Cru joke here yet…

I doubt this. I may pop one the day of arrival but I am not one to squirrel bottles away for years. I like wine on the younger side. Just wanted to try some well regarded Bordeaux.

Robert, to each his own, but I doubt you’re going to love 2016 Malescot out of the gate in 2019. I find (good) young Bordeaux punishing, though there are lots of wines from Bordeaux at the low end of the price range, second and third wines from big estates, etc, that are less extracted, less tannic and oaky and meant for early consumption. Malescot is not one of them. 2004 is just starting to be drinkable, and I would not touch 2005 for another decade… I think you are going to find that the clear consensus, though you’ll also note that no one is going to tell you when to enjoy your wine!