2013 Rhys, Horseshoe, Syrah.

First, let me say that I have never been much of a fan of Syrah, esp any and all versions that are made outside the confines of Northern Rhône. My general issue is generally palate feel, but even when I don’t get electric shock on the palate from these wines, they tend to not do much for me past the first sip. Probably reduction is a big issue, drinking them too young is another, and then they simply don’t come across as being civilized.
The great team at Rhys recently decided to surprise me with a 2013 Horseshoe Syrah as they were generously replacing a corked 2015 Alpine, Chard. So, in the interest of full disclosure, I’m possibly slightly biased, having been so nicely treated by Jeff and Sean over the last few years.
My plan was to have a sip yesterday afternoon before going out for dinner and then consume the bottle tonight. Well, that changed very quickly. The first whiff and sip alone made me text my neighbor. He too is another heathen like me who doesn’t get Syrah. His comment after a blind taste was: This is not a cab, it has a whole cluster aromatic component, it’s definitely not PN, it’s still great! The bottle disappeared in record time. Should have kept it to myself [wink.gif]

And it is great. Soaring aromas of green and black olives, lavender, more herbs, game, with black currants, and wild blueberries underneath what really is an incredibly complex bouquet. Palate is perfectly balanced and well rounded, quite concentrated while still being completely civilized and medium bodied. Lingering long aftertaste. Definitely a tannic edge, but still very drinkable on its own as there are no hard edges or sense of heaviness. If you have many bottles and don’t mind young wines, give I a try, but I’m sure there is no hurry and no need to pop these for another 5-10 years. I love this wine and would not hesitate to place it on par with the better wines from Côte Rôtie. [cheers.gif]

Just chiming in to confirm these are great wines.

I drank the 2012 Syrah among some younger Rhys wines this week and it was my favorite by far. The way it grabbed me at the first whiff and sip was the same. It seemed so pleasantly balanced stylistically. Between overt fruit of CA and rusticity/barnyard of traditional Rhone it walked a line I enjoyed. I loved the whole cluster perfume, but it wasn’t so far as to be obnoxious like some people find Dard et Ribo or Souhaut(both of which I like).

Nice! I seem to recall recently telling you to give Rhys Syrah a try. Was this the first one you’ve had?

Brian, Yes, that’s right. The first and only so far, as I have not found it easy to source them.

Horseshoe Syrah just might be my favorite Rhys wine.

I’m curious what the release price is on this wine. I’m seeing it listed aftermarket at close to 3 figures. Just curious.

Seventish.

Price has forced me to reduce the number of bottles I buy each year - dollars spent is probably relatively stable year to year. I have been passing on the chards and syrahs to achieve this goal. Perhaps I need to rethink this strategy and add a few syrahs next release. Maybe get a second job.

I think it’s $70 off the mailing list which is fair for what it is IMO. While they are stylistically different, the quality is on par with Paris Geynale which costs about the same. In general I think Rhys pricing is well benchmarked vs their French counterparts.

This thread made me grab a 6 pack of 2007 Horseshoe Syrah. They’ve been lingering at $60-65 and are in a great place drinking wise.

They don’t have the savory elements of a Jamet but it’s such pretty, cool blue fruit. They stand up well to big dishes but they’re never heavy, almost refreshing.