Repour wine saver - anyone use this?

I was at a restaurant yesterday and didn’t finish the bottle I had purchased off the list so they gave me a Repour for the bottle. I don’t believe it’s multi bottle use but it’s supposed to pull oxygen out of the bottle. I tried the wine again at lunch today at it tasted pretty fresh, if not a touch reductive (and bricked in color but not flavor/nose). It actually needed some time to open up.

I left the bottle in my bag in the car (low 50s) overnight. Seemed pretty effective. Will try again tonight with the same bottle as I have about 2/5th of the bottle left.

Anyone else have any experience with it?

https://www.amazon.com/Repour-Preserver-Stopper-Removes-effectively/dp/B06Y3RZDKB

Never heard of it. Would be interested in following it to see if it is actually effective.

Interesting. Picked up a 4 pack to try.

Fascinating, I wonder if you can tie a $0.20 500cc oxygen absorber packet to some butcher’s twine and hang it from the top of the recorked bottle with the same effect.

I’m using it for bottles I pour for restaurants/shops. It’s quite effective and keeps bottles in good shape much longer than the other options. Bottles poured with the other options would last 2 weeks max. The bottles weren’t bad or off, but they were evolved compared to a newly opened bottle…and I’m not going to pour that for someone considering my wines for their list/shop.

Repour doesn’t have that problem, with one caveat: the first couple of bottles I used it on were either a bit dumb (whites) or reductive (reds) the next time (both resolved with a bit of air time). Repour causes a 21% vacuum (the in-bottle oxygen is absorbed, and O2 is 21% of air). I wondered if this vacuum was a problem, so I pull and reseat the repour (to release the vacuum) after a few hours…since then no problems.

I’m also trying them out on partial kegs (partially full of wine) at the winery.

Warning: keep the bottles upright at all times. Failure to do so is similar to crossing the streams

jyaLZHiJJnE

I picked up a four pack a week or two ago based off a post over on GuildSomm GuildSomm that looked promising. Will probably try it on a bottle later tonight and will definitely report back.

I have used them and they seem to work quite well, never went past 2 days tho. It definitely sucks the air out you get a pop when you pull the cork.

I would be interested in people comparing bottles using this versus bottles not using this to see how truly effective it is. Try taking an open bottle, putting it into a smaller screw cap bottle, and sticking it in the fridge overnight.

Full bottles into two halves. Bagged.
One has this. One regular cork.

Blind taste next day.

Splitting a 10 pack with a friend. If it works well, may have to do a Berserker group buy.

Funny enough I was introduced to it by another somm at Spago. He said they use it for their by the glass and has been exceptional.

Wonder what they’re using to scavenge oxygen that removes 100%?

Ladybugs?

I’m guessing it’s as simple as ferrous iron.

Seems like a waste for a single use item.

Just watched the video on their website. Claim you can open and close the bottle as many time as you want while using the same stopper. Now that’s interesting. I just ordered a 10-pack off their website - free shipping too. Will report back in later.

It’s single bottle but not single use. You can use the stopper for the same bottle. Pop open. Pour. Then close back up quickly.

I think his point is that this is just another plastic waste product…hopefully it can be recycled.

I think the creator also said that they’re made to absorb the oxygen of ~ 10 glasses of air and that in theory a stopper could be reused on multiple bottles with careful tracking… don’t have that quote handy though

Edit: Here’s where I got that from https://www.thegrommet.com/repour

I have been testing this for two weeks now with 5 different bottles opened the same day. Will post detailed comments later but so far, having tried 2 ounces every other day of each wine (whites and reds), I can not find deterioration nor development. The wines are in great shape. Fits for my purpose of having a slew of bottles open at the same time and be able to decide what to drink based on menu or mood.